Pattaya: Nurse in MG slams into back of truck trailer

webfact

9 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

If she was the same as a lot of drivers in my locality, drive fast and I can see fine so don't need my lights on, truck driver didn't look hard enough for an unlit car coming fast up behind, ergo accident. One possible scenario.

Not only driving fast (as is evident by the severe damage) she was also driving in the right hand lane whilst approaching a U turn. A very dangerous practice that I see all too often here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Soo, 68, the driver of the truck said that he had come out of the soi and was crossing over to the right hand lane in order to make a U-turn. 

This 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he didn't see the car that went into the back of him. 

And this.

32 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Not only driving fast (as is evident by the severe damage) she was also driving in the right hand lane whilst approaching a U turn. A very dangerous practice that I see all too often here.

Yes they do tend to block the passing lane forcing faster traffic to pass on the left. Very dangerous indeed! 

No idea about the damages as even if she was doing 80kph when smashing into the back of a slow moving truck could easily do that as it's a CP chicken car not a tank!  

• Like 1

Heaps of people going on about the MG car doing the usual criticisms, this death can only be attributed to the usual cause in Thailand.. Driver inattention to road conditions and other vehicles/ objects.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, jaiyen said:

You can see that this cheap piece of Chinese <deleted> has no strength or rigidity in the body design. Here in Oz they are only $15,000, half the price of a decent small car.  A modern day Lada !!

If you bothered to look at the other photos of the car in the link you can see that from the A-post back the car shows little sign of damage.  The front end is designed to crumple in order to absorb energy from an impact.  The OP photo also suggests that it has been cut apart as evidenced by the rescue equipment shown.

"Here in Oz they are only $15,000, half the price of a decent small car".

...and it meets all current Australian safety regulations!

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, In the jungle said:

That's interesting.  So 350,000 Baht in Australia but upwards of 520,000 in Amazing Thailand.

That crash photo above just adds to the numerous reasons why I would not buy an MG.

You seriously think that, after rear-ending an 18-wheeler, you'd have been any safer in any other comparable-sized car that also meets all the required safety standards?

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 6:45 PM, Pdavies99 said:

Note: In good head on tests at 80kph speed they expect the windscreen to remain in the car and the doors to be able to open.  MG Hardly!

The windscreen, although broken, appears to have remained in place and the photos in the link suggest that the drivers door still opened.  

19 hours ago, Bell1234 said:

I seen the live video of this rescue.. It was on Facebook live streaming and she was in the car and looked dead.. She had her seat belt on aswell but very disrespectful to live stream it.

Was it not just as "disrespectful" of you to complain about the stream but still watch it and then report the unnecessary details here? 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, Pdavies99 said:

Good crumple zone? Air bags are an extra even! No side bags, no passenger bags. the German TUV tests rated the MG SUV as 1 out of 10 for safety.   Note: In good head on tests at 80kph speed they expect the windscreen to remain in the car and the doors to be able to open.  MG Hardly!

The windscreen in the car involved in this accident looks to have remained in place, albeit crumpled.

On 12/24/2020 at 9:58 PM, Pique Dard said:

i'm wondering, as far as thai driving schools are concerned, how serious are they? so many road accidents,  daily!

I paid for 20  - 25 hours of driving instruction for the Missus when she indicated she'd  like to learn to drive.

I can only speak about our experience and I can happily say I thought the instruction given was quite good.

I believe for most Thai drivers it's more like "on the job training".

On 12/26/2020 at 2:56 PM, Spatiumus said:

Was it not just as "disrespectful" of you to complain about the stream but still watch it and then report the unnecessary details here? 

Report? This is Thailand have you seen the stuff they get away with putting on FB.. Me reporting the page won't change a thing.. I will give you the page name and you report it and see what happens.

2 hours ago, Bell1234 said:
On 12/26/2020 at 2:56 PM, Spatiumus said:

Report? This is Thailand have you seen the stuff they get away with putting on FB.. Me reporting the page won't change a thing.. 

That's not the point,  you complained about someone broadcasting details of the accident and then you went on to describe the same thing here!   Just sounded a bit hypocritical to me.

On 12/26/2020 at 9:32 PM, In the jungle said:
On 12/26/2020 at 2:36 PM, Spatiumus said:

You seriously think that, after rear-ending an 18-wheeler, you'd have been any safer in any other comparable-sized car that also meets all the required safety standards?

Let me guess. You think the 737 Max is a brilliant piece of engineering approved by the FAA to the highest safety standards?

What?

Speed doesn't kill , stupidity does.  I have been driving on roads in Thailand for 8 years in a small Nissan March , similar size to MG, and never been involved in an accident. 

I am always aware of the big trucks around me and are especially careful if I have to enter a U turn.  Yes it's been a few close encounters, but my driving skills and always staying alert have saved me on Thai roads. 

I traveled north on highway 32 ( Ayutthaya to just short of Nakhon Sawan ) last Thursday, the traffic was heavy due to the holiday period.

Recently road signs and road markings have been introduced to advise motorists to keep 2 chevrons apart in the fast lane.

As expected these warnings were ignored and the fast lane was fast moving “ bumper to bumper “ traffic, the road markings became invisible as the tailgating was , as usual, aggressive .

The result:

Within 50 km there was 3 “ shunts “ involving 14 cars !!

While speed alone does indeed kill add to it the inexperience/selfishness/risk taking and downright stupidity we all witness daily on the roads and it becomes, to coin a popular phrase, an “ accident waiting to happen “ !!