UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

51 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

<snip>

by the way, I'm not even sure that a (very unlikely) "no" vote in the British parliament would block the deal?

I think it would do so, as surely the agreement requires both sides to put it into law.

If our Parliament rejects this agreement, then that means it's rejected and so not put into UK law; whatever Johnson wishes.

But as you say, despite Tory and Labour rebels, such rejection is unlikely.

@vinny41, I'm not wasting even more bandwidth by quoting yet another attempt by you to prove me wrong (despite your earlier statement that you have no desire to so do!). Instead I refer you to the answer I gave previously.

Edited by 7by7
typo

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

What's stopping you reaching for the...

image.jpeg.e7244dc3e16eb601c906480ababa1a3e.jpeg

?

You are the one continually making this serious accusation; so what's stopping you?

I'm going to be offline for the next few days, so you've plenty of time; if you dare.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 1

another sector where the UK might gain is defense 

diplomats in Britain believe the UK post-Brexit has already shown an independence of judgment, and fleetness of foot, in comparison with the EU, where cumbersome decision-making requires all 27 EU foreign ministers to agree. The disadvantages of steering clear of EU foreign policy are undetectable to Tory eurosceptics.

now if this is not good for the EU defense (Germany and eastern Europe countries) it's all good for France since we have a very intensive cooperation.

Now I'm still a bit skeptical, the UK has lost Galileo to they will probably be again dependent on the US for the GPS in  the same way they are with their nuclear missiles (Trident which is completely reliant and US technology).

The UK can cozy up with Turkey

In the case of Turkey’s drilling for gas in the eastern Mediterranean, the EU has tabled some sanctions and may table more in March, while Britain has laid low, not wishing to offend either side. As France and Turkey have traded insults, and Germany mediated, the UK outside the EU has been free to step away, perhaps thinking of the trade deal it seeks with Turkey.

there is more in the article : Iran, Ukraine, Libya and the Skripal case.. Overall it seems the UK "tire son épingle du jeu" (plays the game well)

Similarly, to British eyes the contrast between Emmanuel Macron’s call for a stronger united Europe, and unilateral French foreign policy making, reveals the sham of integrated foreign policy.

yeah....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/28/uk-quietly-shifts-away-from-promise-of-deep-foreign-and-security-links-with-eu

Edited by Hi from France

29 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Off the top of my head:

1. We will lose unfettered access to the single market.
  2. We will leave the customs union.
  3. As a result of No. 2, exporters to the EU will require more paperwork, leading to inevitable delays at ports such as Dover
  4. We will lose the bargaining power of a trade bloc consisting of 28 nations.
  5. We will lose the cross border cooperation that comes from being a member of Europol.
  6. We will lose access to the EIEM.
  7. We will lose access to the SIS.
  8. British citizens who wish to study, work or retire in the EU will lose the automatic right to so do.
  9. British tourists holidaying in the EU will lose the free health insurance via the EHI card.
  10. British tourists will also lose the benefit of the EU restrictions on mobile roaming charges.

If you want more; Google is your friend.

11. Dandruff will also lose roaming rights.

18 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

@vinny41, I'm not wasting even more bandwidth by quoting yet another attempt by you to prove me wrong (despite your earlier statement that you have no desire to so do!). Instead I refer you to the answer I gave previously.

Getting a bit like Blue Peter.

• Haha 2

On 12/27/2020 at 9:29 PM, bannork said:

The UK is not extracted from the EU, it is forever bound by geography and  consequently comnercial, trading, security ties, etc, to the EU.

It is actually Europe not the EU but one great advantage there is a huge sea all around it which cuts us off.

So, if Scotland ever gets a vote for independence and it is successful, it will be forever bound to the rest of the UK as you have explicitly claimed here with this statement.

Or will you build a big river next to/near Adrian's wall.????

• Like 1

" UK heading for post-Brexit BOOM after signing new trade deals worth £900 billion"

if you have a link to a serious newspaper I'll take it ????

as I remember, Liz Truss was the one celebrating a “historic” Japan deal

The reality was that “the UK has been sailing into the wind throughout the negotiations to get back to its starting point”,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-japan-trade-deal-liz-truss-exports-b1619263.html

We need to go beyond what populists say to tabloids.

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dunroaming said:

So all 27 EU countries passed the deal unanimously, even France seemed happy with the outcome.  I am reserving judgement until we get the proper details rather than the government spin.  Then I can decide if it is better to bring back my business base to the UK or keep it in mainland Europe.

Does the deal cover ‘EBay traders’?

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well with your continued anti British posts, I would hate to see what you are like if you hated the UK.????

More project fear.

Please stay around so we can see who is right.

Still no response on my question then?

What question was that? About the 690 plus agreements that cease to be valid after Jan 1st? I mentioned the author's name Marc Wesseling and title of the video but I couldn't post a link. 

Fir the umpteenth tine, I'm not anti British. I'm anti Brexit, anti British weather and anti jingoistic Brits who are living in the past. I realise It's not England's fault it's a tiny island with far too many people. France and Thailand are twice the size with approximately the same population. 

Less is more. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I am not making any attempt to prove you wrong and as far as I am concerned I stand by what I posted  as being completely correct

I will posted again just for you

Suggest you read the quote from the guardian again

“This is a very bad deal for Scotland, which will terminate our membership of the EU, rip us out of the world’s largest single market and customs union, end our freedom of movement rights, 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/27/snp-confirms-vote-against-extreme-tory-brexit-deal

No UK membership of the EU was terminated   at 11 p.m. GMT on 31 January 2020

Maybe you should brush up on vocabulary.

“This is a very bad deal for Scotland, which will terminate our membership of the EU, rip us out of the world’s largest single market and customs union, end our freedom of movement rights, "

context

Pronunciation /ˈkɒntɛkst/ 

NOUN

• The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/context

PS Apologies for the text, cannot seem to remove the bold.

• Like 1