Thailand to launch first moon mission

rooster59

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

By THE NATION

800_2f3b3b5abdcf613.jpg

Thailand will build a spacecraft within seven years with a budget of around Bt3 billion, according to the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation.

Minister Anek Laothamatas announced on Thursday that Thailand will produce high-tech satellites in four years, before advancing to build a spaceship with a weight of 300 kilograms for a mission to the moon.

The ship will be powered by a xenon ion thruster, the same propulsion method used by Nasa for interplanetary space missions. The spacecraft will travel at 11 kilometres per hour to the moon, before slowing to enter lunar orbit at 2kph.

Thailand’s first lunar mission will be officially announced in January, Anek said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400232

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-26

I think enough has been said on the merits of this subject No actual gain or benefit  whatsoever with the money better spent in vaccinating the entire population against Covid would have been the first priority of any rational government

16 hours ago, Ramdas said:

These people ???? they really have their priorities backwards ????????‍♂️
Can you imagine if they ever manage to lift off the accidents they will cause on the way up there ???? 

What makes you so sure that the rocket will actually head upwards? This being a country "governed" by tinpot generals who are more interested in their medals and other bling, it could head anywhere in any direction.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kingoak said:

Hahaha!! They can't even feed the starving people. Talk about getting their priorities right.

Their only priorities are to themselves, that's the only thing apart from lies, that

they have in common with real elected governments.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mike k said:

Depends on where he went to school seems like all the upper class including the one we cant mention went to school in another country 

Well we Know that the unelected "PM" went to a Military Academy, and he still managed to stay a "PM" after the last election, what does that say about the education of his generals?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The difference being Chinese are dangerous on an international scale, Thai's are only dangerous on a domestic scale!

Really?? They will be dangerous to other countries if they start steering a space rocket, with their mentality can we

really be sure it will keep heading upwards, and not landing in some other country?

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Because they ARE filthy rich. Greed knows no bounds with these people, that's just the way it works! It's a long practiced cultural thing! :jap:

I don't think it is necessary a cultural thing, is their not greed in other countries also? There certainly is in the UK. The big difference is the UK government have the brains and education to cover things up where the Thai "government" led by an unelected "PM" would

not have.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 9:36 AM, rooster59 said:

The spacecraft will travel at 11 kilometres per hour to the moon, before slowing to enter lunar orbit at 2kph.

To travel the 384,400 km to the moon at 11 kph will take 4 years - many of the cars on the highways have already attempted flight but at a much greater speed. (Note:  They all failed to achieve orbit!) 

In theoretical terms, the escape velocity at the surface of Earth is 11.2 km per second (6.96 miles per second).  The lunar orbital speed for Apollo 11 was about 1.6 km/sec

I wonder if Minister Anek Laothamatas may have confused the rate of speed?  I hope the space ship designers are more astute!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2020 at 9:36 AM, rooster59 said:

By THE NATION

800_2f3b3b5abdcf613.jpg

Thailand will build a spacecraft within seven years with a budget of around Bt3 billion, according to the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation.

Minister Anek Laothamatas announced on Thursday that Thailand will produce high-tech satellites in four years, before advancing to build a spaceship with a weight of 300 kilograms for a mission to the moon.

The ship will be powered by a xenon ion thruster, the same propulsion method used by Nasa for interplanetary space missions. The spacecraft will travel at 11 kilometres per hour to the moon, before slowing to enter lunar orbit at 2kph.

Thailand’s first lunar mission will be officially announced in January, Anek said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400232

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-26

Maybe the Ministry should start by promoting basic calculation

1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

To travel the 384,400 km to the moon at 11 kph will take 4 years - many of the cars on the highways have already attempted flight but at a much greater speed. (Note:  They all failed to achieve orbit!) 

In theoretical terms, the escape velocity at the surface of Earth is 11.2 km per second (6.96 miles per second).  The lunar orbital speed for Apollo 11 was about 1.6 km/sec

I wonder if Minister Anek Laothamatas may have confused the rate of speed?  I hope the space ship designers are more astute!

There are some experts at calculating speeds readily available!

Plenty for the Minister to choose from 555!

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

How many things in your list are put together from an original Thai design?

Cars and bikes are from a load of parts fitted together by robots on a production line.

Sorry to upset your delusional bubble, but most of the foreign owned factories I've done business with have Thais in various senior engineering and management positions. There is a pool of skilled engineering talent in Thailand because of this, accrued over the past 30 or so years.

For whatever reason, you want to think that you're cleverer than Thais, but it isn't the case. 

Edited by dbrenn

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Sorry to upset your delusional bubble, but most of the foreign owned factories I've done business with have Thais in various senior engineering and management positions. There is a pool of skilled engineering talent in Thailand because of this, accrued over the past 30 or so years.

For whatever reason, you want to think that you're cleverer than Thais, but it isn't the case. 

Tell me what you KNOW about my background.

All the major engineering inventions were either European or British.

Engineering today is just fine tuning and improving what already exists.

Don't pick examples like Toyota or Triumph, production line stuff made from mostly imported parts being put together.

Quality control wasn't invented by Thai engineers. Engineers everywhere have had to accept it as part of engineer improvement but there is a growing trend to cut it as much as possible to increase production based mainly on the requirements of bean counters who see it as a waste of time and money,

( cuts the bottom line ).

There are good engineers here but many have never opened a book or kept up with the latest advances in their field.  Got degree=sit at desk with shirt and tie on.

On 12/26/2020 at 12:45 PM, George Bowman said:

Can bamboo rockets travel that far?

I can't help wondering if they now have a fireproof variety of bamboo which will not burn up on reentry.

I also wonder if the speed of the rocket which is listed as 11km per hour has a few zeros missing from the figure.

11 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Lots of Japanese brand name cars on Australian roads these days are made in Thailand. Ditto Triumph motorcycles and lots of other high end stuff. As a result of foreign investment, Thailand has good engineering skills.

Sounds like other countries have good engineering skills thai's can put a bolt in a hole 

• Like 1