Advice sought

Good afternoon.

I am seeking information, please, to rebut an argument with an Aust Govt Agency.

I believe, that an expat cannot be considered a “citizen” of Thailand, unless they apply, can read, write, speak Thai fluently, and be one of a very small number selected to become a citizen, each year. ( I don’t by the way) therefore I cannot be construed to be a resident of the country, similarly, it’s also why, non citizens are required to report their whereabouts every 90 days, 

can anyone advise, where these two issues are actually written, so I can see if I can rebut there Agency’s argument that I reside here.

thanks 

1 hour ago, Justcruising54 said:

Good afternoon.

I am seeking information, please, to rebut an argument with an Aust Govt Agency.

I believe, that an expat cannot be considered a “citizen” of Thailand, unless they apply, can read, write, speak Thai fluently, and be one of a very small number selected to become a citizen, each year. ( I don’t by the way) therefore I cannot be construed to be a resident of the country, similarly, it’s also why, non citizens are required to report their whereabouts every 90 days, 

can anyone advise, where these two issues are actually written, so I can see if I can rebut there Agency’s argument that I reside here.

thanks 

Your basic premis of residency being a condition of citizenship is wrong.

It is common for persons to be regarded as being resident of a country whilst not holding its citizenship.

As an example consider the Thai domestic tax laws where residency is considered for periods of 183 days.

Residency and Citizenship are separate entities.

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Like 1

Residence and citizenship are two different things.

Tax residence is not based on ones citizenship or nationality but upon the tax rules related to what makes one resident in a jurisdiction(s)

This info determining tax residence should be available on each countries tax web sites.

Edited by userabcd
13 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Good afternoon.

thanks 

Permanent residents (who are not Thai citizens do not have to report every 90 days)

Edited by userabcd

I believe, that an expat cannot be considered a “citizen” of Thailand, unless they apply, can read, write, speak Thai fluently, and be one of a very small number selected to become a citizen, each year. ( I don’t by the way) therefore I cannot be construed to be a resident of the country

"Residents" of Thailand aren't "citizens".   Usually your domicile denotes your normal residency (not citizenship). 

I doubt that Australia is suggesting that you as an Australian, is a Thai citizen unless you are.

13 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Residence and citizenship are two different things.

Tax residence is not based on ones citizenship or nationality but upon the tax rules related to what makes one resident in a jurisdiction(s)

This info determining tax residence should be available on each countries tax web sites.

n75127-DE-5543_Residency-for-tax-purposes-factsheet_W.pdf