Eight killed in B’bang crash

geovalin

Police are preparing charges against a taxi driver for causing a tragic road accident on December 24 that killed eight people in O’Taki commune in Battambang province’s Thma Koul district.

Provincial traffic police chief Chan Sothy said a westbound Hyundai lorry transporting ice on National Road 5 was struck by a Toyota Camry sedan when it crossed into the lorry’s lane, colliding head-on. The taxi overturned off the road.

“Seven of nine people in the taxi were killed instantly. The driver and a one-year-old boy survived.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/eight-killed-bbang-crash

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Exactly how many passengers is this vehicle registered to carry as nine people seems quite a lot .........!!! 

Sadly, and from experience, this "taxi" may have been a private car being used as one. Therefore, no official registration of passenger numbers (and probably no proper insurance!). On several occasions when I have booked a "taxi" through a hotel or travel agent, it has always been a private car with no taxi markings, however I have been the only passenger. Unfortunately, on one occasion from Poipet to Battambang, my so-called "taxi" kept stopping along the way, picking up or depositing other passengers. At one point, there were 8 of us in the Toyota saloon, the driver, myself in front passenger seat (with bag on my lap), 4 adults and 2 young children squeezed into the rear seat (their baggage packed into the boot)! This was an exception but nevertheless does occur as in this tragic accident.