Covid-19 vaccination availability in Thailand.

thoengthaied

14 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

with 60 official dead in 10 months, with 65.000.000+ thai people

why would thailand get priority ???

or even get a vaccine for a disease you have to get tested, to know you have it

and maybe most of us have it and got over it, in the magical thailand

Good point..NO testing..NO covid..Who needs a vaccine ?? The smart countries prepared for this a long time ago by investing in the R@D of the vaccine and therefore got to pre order supplies .e.g. Australia ordered 50 million doses to be ready by March 2021.

18 hours ago, wasabi said:

If a Covid vaccine doesn't emerge by late Spring 2021 my wife and I are considering going back to America to get one. The only thing blocking this brilliant plan is I'm not sure if getting a vaccine anywhere other than Thailand will let us avoid the whole Quarantine quagmire so we may be in for a long stay back in The States which isn't ideal for us at this time but probably better than flapping in the wind with no set date to get the vaccine. 

When I fly back to America I must pass through Bangkok, Taipei, Los Angeles, and Denver international airports and a few busses to get to my house. 

It's said that the airports are more dangerous than the airplanes. It seems a major risk to fly home to get a vaccine. It may mean hospital instead of quarantine. 

That said, I'd rather get sick in America than Thailand. 

Everything in life is a calculated risk. In that sense we're all flapping in the wind. 

For myself, I'll take my chances here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

When I fly back to America I must pass through Bangkok, Taipei, Los Angeles, and Denver international airports and a few busses to get to my house. 

It's said that the airports are more dangerous than the airplanes. It seems a major risk to fly home to get a vaccine. It may mean hospital instead of quarantine. 

That said, I'd rather get sick in America than Thailand. 

Everything in life is a calculated risk. In that sense we're all flapping in the wind. 

For myself, I'll take my chances here. 

But by late spring situation may have turned around in USA as shots, if effective, should have much reduced Covid-19 transmission as they have already been started.  That said probably not a good idea to travel internationally to obtain.

Vaccine does not equate to travel or immunity, apparently, according to WHO itself, so availability of a shot is no magic cure. Vaccinated travellers may still need to be quarantined.

WHO chief scientist – yesterday in a press conference: “I don't believe we have the evidence on any of the vaccines to be confident that it's going to prevent people from actually getting the infection and therefore being able to pass it on.

"We need to assume that people who have been vaccinated also need to take the same precautions till there's a certain level of herd immunity."

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/who-warns-vaccinated-travellers-could-still-need-to-be-quarantined-20201229-p56qk3.html

There is no purchased vaccine for delivery before April-May 2021.

On 27 November,  Thailand National Vaccine Institute TNVI signed a non-refundable advance market commitment contract worth 2.38 billion baht (Euro 65 million / USD 79 million) with AstraZeneca to reserve access to the current Oxford version. It is hoped that this vaccine can be delivered starting in May 2021.

Also agreed to purchase from Astra Zeneca rights to manufacture in Thailand vaccine in trial  called AZD1222. Contract is for  3.67 billion baht (Euro 100 million) / USD 122 million). If trial is successful Thailand MoH says it will start producing "early" 2021.

I do not know what early means here. No point saying you will make vaccine for sure unless you know trial is  going to have success.

12 hours ago, wavodavo said:

Good point..NO testing..NO covid..Who needs a vaccine ?? The smart countries prepared for this a long time ago by investing in the R@D of the vaccine and therefore got to pre order supplies .e.g. Australia ordered 50 million doses to be ready by March 2021.

I hope you are not talking about the Univ of Queenland vaccine of which Australia had ordered 50 million doses but which has now been cancelled. It may have worked but contained a HIV fragment that could result in a false positive HIV-test. Really smart! https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/11/university-of-queensland-covid-vaccine-the-governments-pulled-the-plug-so-what-happens-now. Apart from that Australia has also ordered a similar number of doses from both AstraZeneca and Novavax (if effective) and a smaller batch from Pfizer-BioNTech https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/about-covid-19-vaccines/australias-vaccine-agreements.