What is your opinion about this photo ?

The Theory

2 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Thai or Farang, the skull is the same, fragile and exposed without a helmet.!

Mind you might not be much going on inside it, even less after he hits the concrete/bitumen in a crash.!

And as per usual we look upon them and wonder how they made it this far.?

...and yet some states in the USA have a 'no helmet' law.

Apart from the typical ex-pat old fart on a scooter, wearing flip flops and no crash helmet, probably waiting for a "racing start', it brought back many happy memories when I lived near Chiang Mai. Shopping in Rimping Supermarket in the basement of the Maya Centre (right) and spending many happy hours in Graham's "The Pub" behind the trees and hotel on the left - now Chinese run I believe?

This very day, coming home from the morning market run. Heading south on Chang Klan at Ragang Rd, Chang Khlan 4 way light. An older Thai driver cruises by me, through the crosswalk, and pulls to a stop. Nobody batted an eye. The only difference from your picture, he was wearing a helmet.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:12 PM, The Theory said:

I thought I better share this photo with others.

No doubt you did think that. Thaivisa and by extension, all Chiang Mai, rests easier knowing that at least it keeps you occupied.

6 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

That's odd, I zoomed in and couldn't see them. I guess you were there....  ????

I've called in a few times, they have a fridge, coffee peculator and kettle, undercover parking places for their m/cs.

I suspect them of hanging out and playing cards.

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

His position at the crosswalk is fairly common.  The no helmet, no plate is a different matter.

Another recent thread may explain his no plate due to the new camera system.

Possibly an anti helmeter.

16093270640168531557774876716948.jpg

It's been stated before that the OP has blacked out the plate. If you zoom in you can see that's true.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've called in a few times, they have a fridge, coffee peculator and kettle, undercover parking places for their m/cs.

Then if they were playing cards I doubt they were looking at the cyclist. I would think that they were napping or watching TV, even on their phones since cards are forbidden. 

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think you live in CM.

I was told the police no longer deploy their checkpoints,  which are  usually many. I was stopped 4 times one day.  Do you know if it is true that they stopped?

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

His position at the crosswalk is fairly common.  The no helmet, no plate is a different matter.

Another recent thread may explain his no plate due to the new camera system.

Possibly an anti helmeter.

16093270640168531557774876716948.jpg

Anti helmeter, already brain dead so his agenda is unimportant ...... 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Anti helmeter, already brain dead so his agenda is unimportant ...... 

The guy is standing there wishing that the ground would open up. He’ is thinking that all those locals behind him are thinking stupid foreigner doesn’t even know where the stop line is.

His number plate it’s on the back of someone else’s bike. Little does he know he’ll be getting letter after letter through the post in a few days.

Nothing too strange about the gear he is wearing, pretty common place.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:38 AM, bkk6060 said:

People stop on the crosswalk area all the time at that Maya intersection. 

There are many worse actions taken by people in this country 

so...

Like for example not wearing a helmet.

This is Maya intersection, I noticed most people who do this stunt are foreigners and Food-Panda guys. The moment the traffic lights turn green, they are the first to 'vroom' not knowing how dangerous it is.

These people have no sense of road safety and zero patience until one fine day when they meet a serious accident.

Edited by EricTh

On 12/30/2020 at 6:56 PM, bkk6060 said:

I think you live in CM.

I was told the police no longer deploy their checkpoints,  which are  usually many. I was stopped 4 times one day.  Do you know if it is true that they stopped?

We have a checkpoint just after the 118 on Highway 1 on the way to Phayao. AFAIK it is only manned between 8 am and 12 noon.  I have never seen a police officer outside those times.

I sometimes wonder what they do, because even when they are there, I have never seen them stop a vehicle. Further up at Mae Lao, they look at registration stickers like a crow staring into a rubbish bin.

I suppose for some people, working four hours a day, and doing nothing when they are on duty, is a desirable outcome.

Am I off topic again? Damn, you posters are evil.

As long as I don't have to scrape him up off the floor as he's crying, saying his head hurts (yes, it's happened before, never again!), up to him! 

I have zero sympathy for someone who doesn't wear a helmet. Why do they do it? To look cool? "Look at me, I'm just like a local". Just don't get it!