Brexit is Britain punishing itself, France's Beaune says

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You frequently make reference to Germany and WW2, yet as we see once again in this post your knowledge of the actual history to which you refer is more than a little lacking.

I guess it’s not something that got much coverage in those post war black and white war movies:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_reparations

My dad got sod all, neither did my mum bombed out family..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Nice rant. Doesn't alter the reality of what I posted one iota.

And you continue to be very selective in your use of the word 'democracy', you steadfastly refuse to condemn the very anti-democratic electoral fraud that took place.

Eh, link please........................?

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Eh, link please........................?

Go look it up, I've posted it enough times already, it's on the Electoral Commission's website. had it not been for the rules surrounding advisory referenda, the seriousness of the fraud would have been sufficient for them to have declared the result void.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kamahele said:

You do realize that the United States is 50 separate states  with their own governments and laws which also must obey the laws of the federal government  and each state gets a certain amount of votes in the Congress right? Started as 13 separate colonies with their own governments, laws, money etc. and bound together as one for two and a half centuries.

Ah, so you want a federal Europe, got it. That won't go down well.

And you think the USA would give up sovereignty to be outvoted by Mexico and Colombia to have its fences and immigration barriers  removed ? dream on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Go look it up, I've posted it enough times already, it's on the Electoral Commission's website. had it not been for the rules surrounding advisory referenda, the seriousness of the fraud would have been sufficient for them to have declared the result void.

Just the link will do...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

I just knew it would be from the Guardian......:clap2:

Can I assume Brexit was cancelled because of this revelation.....?

I have read so many Gaurdian articles, all through links on here , that they are now asking me for a donation because Im now a regular reader !!!!!!

You’ve read 

23 articles

in the last year. And you’re not alone; millions have turned to the Guardian for vital, independent, quality journalism throughout a turbulent and challenging 2020. Readers in 180 countries, including Thailand, now support us financially.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I have read so many Gaurdian articles, all through links on here , that they are now asking me for a donation because Im now a regular reader !!!!!!

You’ve read 

23 articles

in the last year. And you’re not alone; millions have turned to the Guardian for vital, independent, quality journalism throughout a turbulent and challenging 2020. Readers in 180 countries, including Thailand, now support us financially.

That would suggest headlines for clicks 'journalism', they too are not alone ????

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, transam said:

I just knew it would be from the Guardian......:clap2:

Can I assume Brexit was cancelled because of this revelation.....?

You have a problem with the accuracy of the fine and the reasons?

Or are you just annoyed that they reported it?

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sujo said:

You have a problem with the accuracy of the fine and the reasons?

Or are you just annoyed that they reported it?

He also criticised the watchdog's handling of the case.

"The Electoral Commission's case was based on an incorrectly ticked box on an application form - something that it had been aware of for over two years and had not been raised in two previous investigations," his statement said.

"Yet the commission still saw fit to issue an excessive fine and to spend almost half a million in taxpayer cash pursuing me through the courts.

"This raises serious questions about its conduct both during and after the referendum."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49048431

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

He also criticised the watchdog's handling of the case.

"The Electoral Commission's case was based on an incorrectly ticked box on an application form - something that it had been aware of for over two years and had not been raised in two previous investigations," his statement said.

"Yet the commission still saw fit to issue an excessive fine and to spend almost half a million in taxpayer cash pursuing me through the courts.

"This raises serious questions about its conduct both during and after the referendum."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49048431

Of course that's what they would claim!

Didn't stop them withdrawing their appeal.

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Whatever, it's happened and the man in the street will be paying taxes for it for decades. Can't see the UK recovering economically for at least five more years, and that's only if the Tories gets rid of Johnson and his useless ministers in 2021.  As for NI, Wales, and Scotland, who cares...

Don't worry. Boris just keeps on winning, from being twice elected mayor of London, to being elected head of his party, to achieving an 80 seat majority in a general election, and now a 300 plus majority in parliament for his Brexit deal, plus a couple of other wins I've missed. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its not serious enough to invalidate the result 

You're entitled to express whatever opinions you like, however your above opinion is factually incorrect.

Advisory referenda can not be voided through breaches in electoral law. That is a fact.

The offences committed by the leave campaign incurred multiple maximum fines and were described by the head of the Electoral Commission as extremely serious, I would assume that he has more knowledge of electoral law than you or I do. He also indicated that, had the referendum been binding it may well have been declared void.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

"Darren Grimes: Brexit campaigner wins appeal against £20,000 fine"

Not the same case, which you'd know if you'd bothered to research it properly. Using a large bold font won't make it so either.