Brexit is Britain punishing itself, France's Beaune says

snoop1130

On 1/1/2021 at 9:59 AM, fvw53 said:

PARIS (Reuters) - The father of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Thursday he was in the process of applying for a French passport to maintain his ties with the European Union after Brexit.????

So? The Johnson family were split regarding Brexit. Some members supported Remaining.

As were many other families and friends.

Are you suggesting adults can't be free to make their own minds up?

5 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Brexeternity The notion that Brexit will never in fact be over; that Britain will be stuck half-in and half-out of the European Union forever, condemned to permanent and mind-numbingly awful negotiations until kingdom come (coined by Tony Blair’s Europe minister Denis MacShane

What I see here is that the last big promise "get Brexit done" also turns out to be impossible to satisfy. 

Brexiteers are experts in denial of promises : we talked about it "oven ready", "easiest deal ever" "we hold all the cards" 

(tell me if you need another refresher there ????

but you are actually going to talk more about Europe than ever before because the "get Brexit done" promise is never going to be satisfied either.

Hence, Brexeternity. 

The funny thing is you are still denying it, while doing the opposite. Brexit is not done it's the opposite. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Probably  not the only thing he coined.

Tony Blair net worth $30m or $60m, depending on which website. 

Either way it’s unusually rich for a (not Thai) prime minister, even if his wife was ripping off the legal aid system for ‘umane rites’ and migrants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

What I see here is that the last big promise "get Brexit done" also turns out to be impossible to satisfy. 

Brexiteers are experts in denial of promises : we talked about it "oven ready", "easiest deal ever" "we hold all the cards" 

(tell me if you need another refresher there ????

but you are actually going to talk more about Europe than ever before because the "get Brexit done" promise is never going to be satisfied either.

Hence, Brexeternity. 

The funny thing is you are still denying it, while doing the opposite. Brexit is not done it's the opposite. 

I'm off out now to have a pint, see you tomorrow for the next Brexit thought chapter......????......????

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

So? The Johnson family were split regarding Brexit. Some members supported Remaining.

As were many other families and friends.

Are you suggesting adults can't be free to make their own minds up?

Boris was split on his own - he wrote extensively on why the UK should remain in the EU.

I suspect his only concern with Brexit was which way would allow him to become PM.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Tony Blair net worth $30m or $60m, depending on which website. 

Either way it’s unusually rich for a (not Thai) prime minister, even if his wife was ripping off the legal aid system for ‘umane rites’ and migrants. 

Rishi Sunak - Chancellor is part of a billionaire family - one of the richest in the world.

12 minutes ago, Histavia said:

Rishi Sunak - Chancellor is part of a billionaire family - one of the richest in the world.

And your point is?

Are you trying to imply something about a member of a billionaire family (not personally richest in the world), compared to a middle class couple becoming very rich after a career in high political office?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Histavia said:

Boris was split on his own - he wrote extensively on why the UK should remain in the EU.

I suspect his only concern with Brexit was which way would allow him to become PM.

Boris was predominantly pro Brexit , he just wrote  few articles in favour of some E.U policies over the years .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Boris was predominantly pro Brexit , he just wrote  few articles in favour of some E.U policies over the years .

LIKE THIS?

"Britain is a great nation, a global force for good. It is surely a boon for the world and for Europe that she should be ­intimately engaged in the EU."

article for The Daily Telegraph was written two days before his shock announcement that he would campaign to leave.

"Shut your eyes. Hold your breath. Think of Britain. Think of the rest of the EU. Think of the future. Think of the desire of your children and your grandchildren to live and work in other European countries; to sell things there, to make friends and perhaps to find partners there.

Ask yourself: despite all the defects and disappointments of this exercise - do you really, truly, definitely want Britain to pull out of the EU ? Now? This is a big thing to do, and there is certainly a strong political-philosophical imperative leading us to the door."

Even on the day of the referendum he insisted that UK would continue to be part of European Union, in almost all aspects.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Loiner said:

And your point is?

Are you trying to imply something about a member of a billionaire family (not personally richest in the world), compared to a middle class couple becoming very rich after a career in high political office?

All people in politics are rich.

On 1/1/2021 at 7:05 PM, billd766 said:

Please explain to us fickas, the time when the US was in the EU.

quote "British folks never know the decision makers in neighbouring countries even when the US was in the EU. 

Ah, Dear High Priest of the Temple of Proof Readers and Nit Pickers: Please forgive my sin of mistakingly typing an S instead of a K - for US please read UK. But then I thought that someone of your great brain would have worked that out way ahead of the rest of us and would not have bothered to bring it up. But then, nothing surprises me these days.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Ah, Dear High Priest of the Temple of Proof Readers and Nit Pickers: Please forgive my sin of mistakingly typing an S instead of a K - for US please read UK. But then I thought that someone of your great brain would have worked that out way ahead of the rest of us and would not have bothered to bring it up. But then, nothing surprises me these days.

Thank you for the promotion. Is the job paid or unpaid?

Don't you ever reread your posts before submitting them?

I do, and even then I make mistakes and have to edit them usually for bad spelling before re-submitting the post.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

funny this guy in the top post,

typical political blurp directed towards French voters

I also think Beaune has the same befuddlement as most of us 

• A country agreeing a trade deal that erects barriers to trade;
  • a deal that uniquely creates a customs border within its own sovereign territory;
  • A deal one that not only makes its people poorer but produces a fivefold increase in bureaucracy;
  • a deal that makes the country less secure while probably hastening its own disintegration.

For the few French who care about it Brexit is still a subject we bang our heads about: "how could our neighbors be so stupid"? 

Eurostar in 'critical condition' after collapse in travel between UK and France

The group is 55 percent owned by the SNCF, 30 percent by Canadian institutional fund manager Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec (CDPQ), 10 percent by Britain-based fund Hermes Infrastructure, and five percent by the Belgian railway SNCB.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210115/eurostar-in-critical-condition-after-collapse-in-travel-between-uk-and-france

Looks like it will fold unless it gets more cash from the French and Belgium taxpayers

Uk Gov offload their shareholding in 2015

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Eurostar in 'critical condition' after collapse in travel between UK and France

The group is 55 percent owned by the SNCF, 30 percent by Canadian institutional fund manager Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec (CDPQ), 10 percent by Britain-based fund Hermes Infrastructure, and five percent by the Belgian railway SNCB.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210115/eurostar-in-critical-condition-after-collapse-in-travel-between-uk-and-france

Looks like it will fold unless it gets more cash from the French and Belgium taxpayers

Uk Gov offload their shareholding in 2015

Very interesting issue to follow, will the UK government save the company or will it let it go bankrupt?  

we french have other problems with our investments in the UK, the worst I think is the Hinkley Point nuclear power station

EDF, which is 85% owned by the French government,[21] purchased British Energy, now EDF Energy Nuclear Generation Ltd, for £12.4 billion in a deal that was finalised in February 2009

another french investment in the UK which is likely to end up in a huge loss or maybe the Chinese will take control...