My (from USA) repatriation and ASQ experience

23 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

I came from USA in Oct.

The entire (expensive) procedure is based on the COVID test “house of cards” which could torpedo the entire journey.

Setting up the Covid test was a horrible experience. Since I had never been sick and was out of State, no one would take me...especially without USA Insurance or provider with my medical history.

I finally went to an urgent care facility where they had no Idea of how long the results would take ($180j.

I left them the fit to fly certificate, and when the result came back, they refused to sign the certificate stating “Your doctor must sign”. i argued and pleaded for an hour.

Mind you drive through testing was free for “in state” residents, but since I was out of State they would not give me that service...

In the end I paid dearly (another $500) to actually fly through JFK and had a medical service come to me at the airport do administer my test. I then flew same day on to Chicago to awaite my Qatar flight. 
My results came back negative and they signed the fit to fly certificate.

keep in mind that to get an appointment for a PCR rapid result test is VERY difficult with online appointments filling up within two minutes of that days opening!

A real F%#K Fest!

Oh and the nurse at first urgent health care facility (That would not sign my fit to fly) gave me a LONG LECTURE on how I should not travel!

That's rough, but probably a typical experience, I had no choice in traveling, luckily in NY there are testing options but you need to search real well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LALes said:

Very good info.  Thanks for sharing.  If you don't mind my asking, how much was your insurance and are you

over 70 years old?  TIA

58 years old, as I bought the 30 day policy to satisfy the COE requirement of 40k / 40000 K baht coverage. Cost around 175 USD, something like that. As I have Cigna international, it is my primary insurance. 

• Thanks 2

Thank you (and PumpkinEater) for sharing your experiences. 

I'll be going to the US in a few months, then returning to Thailand a couple of months later.  It's good to have some idea of what's what. 

The U.S. medical system is so messed up, getting a rapid PCR test and a simply getting a doctor to sign a FtF certificate is much more difficult than it should be.  I get stressed just thinking about how one small hiccup in that dysfunctional system could eff up the whole return.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a little more than what the TGIA covid insurance for 180 day would be. Just checked and it is 23,040 ($768).

I knew that but i just wanted to be done with it, was finished in 5 minutes with a phone call.

20 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

I flew out of Orlando as there is a testing site near the airport that offered same day results and fit to fly. Cost was 75.00 out pocket with insurance , and 155 USD without.no appointment needed. Took the test around  9am and by 5pm had the results by email. Would say the whole process from getting the COE, to the RT_PCR test, and the flights was stress free and no issues. Flew KLM and had a 8 hour layover in Amsterdam the KLM lounge was open couple of drinks, a shower and some sleep was ready for the next flight to Bangkok. 

45 people on the plane everyone had their own row, arrived in Bangkok, from the time I stepped off the plane  until I was in the hotel shuttle was no more 35 minutes. Day 7 in ASQ and keeping busy,  time is really going quick. 

Comfortable telling us(me) what the TOTAL cost was of everything to get back into LOS?   Wondering if airlines would let you in with a ONE way tix as Ive always come that way to LOS, saying I would leave LOS after 30 days

4 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Sure, this starting from Orlando, Fl, USA as was the nearest lab to offer same day testing. 

1, One day RT-PCR same day results from Covid 19 LLC lab with insurance, USD 75.00 

2, Hotel room in Orlando area while waiting for test results, USD 55.00 

3, Thai health insurance policy to cover the 40k/400k , and 100k covid requirements 45 day policy,  USD 232.00

4, KLM flight from Orlando ( MCO), to Amsterdam ( AMS) economy one way, USD 1132.00 

5, Access to KLM lounge in AMS , USD 76.00 

6, Courtyard Marriott ASQ package in Bangkok, 52000 Baht, or USD 1733.00 

7, Non o visa and COE from Thai embassy in DC,  USD 0, ( had a non o) before I applied. 

Total cost for me was USD 2171.00 as I did not have to pay for the airfare, I work for the US Gov't and they paid for it. 

Upon check-in, was not asked about a onward ticket. The Thai embassy would not approve my Cigna International insurance, and had to buy Thai based health coverage. The fit to fly paper you download fill in the info, and drop it off when you get the test. The will sign and return to you with the test results via email. 

Thanks...good to know and get a idea on the cost and hoops needed to jump thru or sweat it out here...

@Billpro785 This is helpful to me too. I am retiring now and in the process of selling everything(Highlands county, FL) and want to get out of here by the end of March. I will be out of MCO also and did see the test clinic but didn't know it was that easy, thanks for the run down. I haven't thought about going through Europe instead of the other way through Korea on Delta flights. I may still try to go through Delta because I am a diamond member and wanted to use my miles to get most of the way there via business class and pay the rest of the way from Incheon, Korea cash. Thanks for the details

Were you allowed out of the hotel at anytime?

I live on a soi with about 5 of these hotels and suddenly we have farang families, quiet an odd sight, wandering about.

They don't come into the bars or restaurants and after about 20 mins we see them retracing their steps.....???

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Were you allowed out of the hotel at anytime?

I live on a soi with about 5 of these hotels and suddenly we have farang families, quiet an odd sight, wandering about.

They don't come into the bars or restaurants and after about 20 mins we see them retracing their steps.....???

On the 7th day you are allowed out by the pool and or garden area for 1 hour or longer if less than 19 people. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ShannanTravels said:

@Billpro785 This is helpful to me too. I am retiring now and in the process of selling everything(Highlands county, FL) and want to get out of here by the end of March. I will be out of MCO also and did see the test clinic but didn't know it was that easy, thanks for the run down. I haven't thought about going through Europe instead of the other way through Korea on Delta flights. I may still try to go through Delta because I am a diamond member and wanted to use my miles to get most of the way there via business class and pay the rest of the way from Incheon, Korea cash. Thanks for the details

Covid 19 LLC is 20 minutes or so from the airport open 8 to 5 pm seven days a week. You will drive in and will directed to lane one of three lanes. You will stay in your car, and they will ask you want type of test you need. For the COE for Thailand you need the same day RT-PCR test. One sheet of paperwork, and one quick swab and you drive to the waiting area lane. 10 minutes later they give back you ID , and your good to go. From start to finish, maybe 35 minutes. Same day you will get the lab reports emailed to by 11pm. The results are good for 72 hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

The Thai embassy would not approve my Cigna International insurance, and had to buy Thai based health coverage.

So Immigration does not accept any insurance coverage sourced from outside Thailand?

Edited by fondue zoo

22 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

So Immigration does not accept any insurance coverage sourced from outside Thailand?

It was a embassy that did not accept it. A embassy is not part of the immigration bureau.

He did not explain why it was not accepted. But he might not of had the required proof for it such as a overseas insurance certificate.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It was a embassy that did not accept it. A embassy is not part of the immigration bureau.

He did not explain why it was not accepted. But he might not of had the required proof for it such as a overseas insurance certificate.

My Cigna International Insurance was not accepted by the Thai Embassy in DC even though it covered way above  the 40K and 400 K in and out patient and the 100K for covid 19. Due to the " New standard procedure " enacted in late Dec, the 40k\400k has to be with a Thailand based Insurance company. Bought a policy online and submitted to the Thai Embassy and was approved for the COE. Keep in mind when I applied for the COE I had a Non 0 multiple  reentry visa. I could have bought the minimum 30 day policy to just to satisfy the COE requirements, but opted for the 45 day policy. As I will be staying longer I will use my Cigna policy for any accident/ health issues.  I chose the Thai company AXA as I could get a quote and buy online in 30 minutes. Plus If not accepted  by the Thai embassy was refundable. AXA Ins .pdf

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

My Cigna International Insurance was not accepted by the Thai Embassy in DC even though it covered way above  the 40K and 400 K in and out patient and the 100K for covid 19. Due to the " New standard procedure " enacted in late Dec, the 40k\400k has to be with a Thailand based Insurance company.

The embassy website still states this.

"The applicants must submit the following:

• Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:
    (a) In case of a foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/nonoretirement/

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy website still states this.

"The applicants must submit the following:

• Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:
    (a) In case of a foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/nonoretirement/

That is it. Did submit my Cigna policy but was rejected. A Cigna Rep told me the hospitals in Thailand accept Cigna International, which is true used it before but the Thai Embassy's in the states will not for a COE. She said they had received numerous calls about this. 

5 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

That is it. Did submit my Cigna policy but was rejected. A Cigna Rep told me the hospitals in Thailand accept Cigna International, which is true used it before but the Thai Embassy's in the states will not for a COE. She said they had received numerous calls about this. 

The 40k/400k is not required for a COE. It might of been a problem with the $100,000 covid 19 insurance needed it for the COE.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 40k/400k is not required for a COE. It might of been a problem with the $100,000 covid 19 insurance needed it for the COE.

Was not a issue with the 100K Covid 19 , see attached , 90 sure percent was because I have Non 0 visa and the coverage was for that. In the reason for rejecting the COE the first time was " please upload the insurance policy for the 40L/400K for in and out patient ". See attached . 

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 6.28.00 PM.png

Cinga  COC.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, that sure looks like it complies with the Thai requirements, specifically stating coverage for Covid-19...

But they wouldn't accept it? Whew.

I bought an AXA policy for 11,232 THB (90 days) specifically because I figured they'd always be happy with a Thai company. I didn't even try to get that letter from my US based insurer.

My visa came back 2 days ago, but I've not received the COE. I'm going to email them today. I depart Jan 20.

Yep a complex set of hoops expensive, and as always, anything can blow you out of the game. 

• Like 2