My (from USA) repatriation and ASQ experience

7 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

thanks for all the helpfull information here, but i think i will skip thailand for now.

it does not sound like thailand really want tourists / long term visitors .

as usual the requirements are contradicting and the one who will pay dearly is the unsuspecting farang.

i asked with one embassy and they said no need for thai company, but now i read here this rule was changed in late december, and who knows what change will come in late january....

first i have to pay for overpriced hotel and flight, than ask for the embassy COE, and if the embassy will not approve than go cancell the whole bookings, while i still try to get my money for cancelled flights from april.

if anything goes wrong with the corona test or the FtF CERTIFICATE (WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?) than

again i lose all, if not money than a lot of stress and energy, and for what? anyway within few months

of vaccinations it will all be over and back to normal.

Yes, it's designed that way. We, the foreigners take all the risks (we have no choice) and they make any rules that they want for any or no reason at all. It's a very stressful process and I think that is purposeful in that it highly restricts the number of people who are willing to go through it. Thailand gets to declare it is "Open" but keeps a VERY tight lid on the conditions and number of foreign returnees.

You have to TRULY want to get in to go through all of this stuff. It's not for the casual holiday traveller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mai mee said:

Wow, that sure looks like it complies with the Thai requirements, specifically stating coverage for Covid-19...

But they wouldn't accept it? Whew.

I bought an AXA policy for 11,232 THB (90 days) specifically because I figured they'd always be happy with a Thai company. I didn't even try to get that letter from my US based insurer.

My visa came back 2 days ago, but I've not received the COE. I'm going to email them today. I depart Jan 20.

Yep a complex set of hoops expensive, and as always, anything can blow you out of the game. 

I am waiting on my passport back from the washington DC embassy. The website says wait until you have a visa to apply for COE. Is that what you did ? or can i go ahead and just get it started online?

1 minute ago, at15 said:

I am waiting on my passport back from the washington DC embassy. The website says wait until you have a visa to apply for COE. Is that what you did ? or can i go ahead and just get it started online?

I deal with the Thai Consulate in LA, and on their website, it's apply for COE first, THEN they send you an email like this:

Dear Mr. XXXX  (Passport no. XXXX ),

Your application is reviewed. In order to issue an appropriate visa and in compliance with relevant rules and regulations, please mail the original documents to the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles 

Visa section
Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles
611 N.Larchmont Blvd., 2nd Floor 
Los Angeles , CA 90004

1. Passport

2. Two passport-size photographs (2″x 2″)

3. Visa application form (Download) or attached file with this email (if applicant doesn’t have a valid Thai visa)

4. Self-addressed return envelope and Money order for visa fee if the applicant doesn’t have a valid visa.

(The visa fee are as follows: 
Single entry 40 USD for Tourist Visa & 80 USD for other types / Multiple entries200 USD)

So, at least at LA, that you submit online for COE, with all the required documents and booking confirmations and insurance, THEN they send email indicating some type of preapproval,  and instruct you to mail the the paper documents documents and passport to the LA Consulate.

This is what I did, and have received my passport back with a visa, but have not yet received the expected COE which I understand comes by email.

Good luck

*Tourist Visa are permitted for single entry only at the moment

**Fee for retirement visa (O-A) is 200 USD since the validity of O-A visa is multiple entries only

***Fee is not required for Diplomat/Official/UNLP passport holders with visa "D" and Thailand Elite cardholders)

5. Other required documents that you submitted through online application.

*** Please check the list of documents from the Royal Thai Embassy’s website / Royal Thai Consulate-General in Chicago / Royal Thai Consulate-General in Los Angeles *** 

• Like 1

Following a FB group of expats returning to Thailand from UK. Not that origin is relevant.

For Fit to Fly many use Dr Donna based in Bangkok. Get your Covid test, Whatsapp consultancy with Dr Donna and get your Fit to Fly. 400B

Not a recommendation as I am only watching developments but the reviews are very good.

Someone with half a brain may be able to provide a link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

I deal with the Thai Consulate in LA, and on their website, it's apply for COE first, THEN they send you an email like this:

Dear Mr. XXXX  (Passport no. XXXX ),

Your application is reviewed. In order to issue an appropriate visa and in compliance with relevant rules and regulations, please mail the original documents to the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles 

Visa section
611 N.Larchmont Blvd., 2nd Floor 
Los Angeles , CA 90004

1. Passport

2. Two passport-size photographs (2″x 2″)

3. Visa application form (Download) or attached file with this email (if applicant doesn’t have a valid Thai visa)

4. Self-addressed return envelope and Money order for visa fee if the applicant doesn’t have a valid visa.

(The visa fee are as follows: 
Single entry 40 USD for Tourist Visa & 80 USD for other types / Multiple entries200 USD)

So, at least at LA, that you submit online for COE, with all the required documents and booking confirmations and insurance, THEN they send email indicating some type of preapproval,  and instruct you to mail the the paper documents documents and passport to the LA Consulate.

This is what I did, and have received my passport back with a visa, but have not yet received the expected COE which I understand comes by email.

Good luck

*Tourist Visa are permitted for single entry only at the moment

**Fee for retirement visa (O-A) is 200 USD since the validity of O-A visa is multiple entries only

***Fee is not required for Diplomat/Official/UNLP passport holders with visa "D" and Thailand Elite cardholders)

5. Other required documents that you submitted through online application.

*** Please check the list of documents from the Royal Thai Embassy’s website / Royal Thai Consulate-General in Chicago / Royal Thai Consulate-General in Los Angeles *** 

wow your right, COE is step 1 for LA. But step 3 for DC. completely bizarre.

well then on the LA info graphic , applying for a visa is first. who the hell knows. probably doesnt matter the order

10-MT-1024x576.jpg

Edited by at15
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, at15 said:

wow your right, COE is step 1 for LA. But step 3 for DC. completely bizarre.

well then on the LA info graphic , applying for a visa is first. who the hell knows. probably doesnt matter the order

10-MT-1024x576.jpg

Yeah, quite the labyrinth, first you have to get past the Embassy/Consulate, and as you noticed DC, LA, and as I am told Chicago all do things differently at the initial front end. All I know is that since I submitted all the same documents for the visa, AND the COE, and they HAVE issued me a visa, that they are intending to let me in (assuming I can get through the 72hr medical exams).

The whole process is quite opaque, despite whatever graphics they put up, so everybody needs to stay on top of their game, and be ready to pivot at any moment as I had to when Taipei went closed to foreign transit passengers and I had to rebook airline tickets and re-submit for the COE with the revised flight numbers.

I will be so happy when this stuff is all in the rearview mirror and I'm eating Pad Kapow Gai at home.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mai mee said:

Yeah, quite the labyrinth, first you have to get past the Embassy/Consulate, and as you noticed DC, LA, and as I am told Chicago all do things differently at the initial front end. All I know is that since I submitted all the same documents for the visa, AND the COE, and they HAVE issued me a visa, that they are intending to let me in (assuming I can get through the 72hr medical exams).

The whole process is quite opaque, despite whatever graphics they put up, so everybody needs to stay on top of their game, and be ready to pivot at any moment as I had to when Taipei went closed to foreign transit passengers and I had to rebook airline tickets and re-submit for the COE with the revised flight numbers.

I will be so happy when this stuff is all in the rearview mirror and I'm eating Pad Kapow Gai at home.

OMG my flight is LAX - TPE - BKK. thank you i just see this now on eva air website. i need to rebook.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It was a embassy that did not accept it. A embassy is not part of the immigration bureau.

He did not explain why it was not accepted. But he might not of had the required proof for it such as a overseas insurance certificate.

Me and the wife have Blue Cross Blue Shield which coves us in he same manner as OP's Cigna and we might also have the same problem if we decide to come. 

If we have to purchase  Thai based covid insurance, would my wife who is a Thai national and has both US and Thai Passports , have to buy insurance also? 

1 minute ago, at15 said:

OMG my flight is LAX - TPE - BKK. thank you i just see this now on eva air website. i need to rebook.

Yeah, I haven't received any notice from EVA Air with whom I had my original booking... nothing. I read about it here on another thread which has disappeared for some reason on a different subform about the closure of TPE to foreign transit. I have no idea why the thread (6 pages or so) was removed although I requested an explanation from admin but received no response. 

I rebooked several days ago as I figured as soon as the TPE closure news became widespread a whole lot of passengers booked on EVA Air and China Air were going to be scrambling for replacement seats, so I booked mine immediately On Singapore Air hoping to beat the rush.

And no, EVA has never contacted me. Perhaps they are hoping that the transit ban will be lifted before my scheduled Jan 20 departure from LAX hoping to get to keep the money I paid? ... Who knows. Another poster (George36) said his booking agent got ahold of him right away, but I had booked directly with the airline hoping to avoid such miscommunications but to no avail. I haven't heard one peep from EVA I submitted for a refund online at the EVA website but haven't heard back from them other than an auto-responder telling me my application for refund would be reviewed.

The Fit to Fly certificate. was the easy part. You download it see attached ,  fill in the information and hand it in while  doing the doing the test. They will email it back to you with lab reports. When I checked in at Delta/KLM counter in Orlando all they wanted to same was the COE, and the lab report, same when doing the pre boarding check at AMS. covid19_medical_certificate_thailand.pdf

5 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

The Fit to Fly certificate. was the easy part. You download it see attached ,  fill in the information and hand it in while  doing the doing the test. They will email it back to you with lab reports. When I checked in at Delta/KLM counter in Orlando all they wanted to same was the COE, and the lab report, same when doing the pre boarding check at AMS. covid19_medical_certificate_thailand.pdf

Interesting bit of information there, and it makes sense. That being said, all of us who have dealt with the Thai authorities know that we better have the paperwork ready to prove anything on any list anywhere even if it's never even been on a list.

6 hours ago, at15 said:

That is for a COE for medical treatment. Is that the reason for your trip to here.

From that infographic.

image.png.154d1f84ebf5a99a428855f216c03bcd.png

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thai based covid insurance, would my wife who is a Thai national and has both US and Thai Passports , have to buy insurance also? 

She needs to apply as a Thai national. No insurance is needed for a Thai entering the country. Also no covid 19 test.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is for a COE for medical treatment. Is that the reason for your trip to here.

From that infographic.

image.png.154d1f84ebf5a99a428855f216c03bcd.png

oh ok, im just doing the STV.

I am going off this from the Washington DC Website:

"3. After receiving a visa, the applicants may request the Certificate of Entry (COE) at https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/"

I am still waiting on my passport from the embassy in DC. They received everything in the mail from me on the 29th.  I just changed my flight today. You think i should email them about that ? I dont know if they are aware yet people cannot connect in Taiwan. I dont know if this effects my application if i put a different flight into the COE.

Edited by at15

12 minutes ago, at15 said:

I am still waiting on my passport from the embassy in DC. They received everything in the mail from me on the 29th. 

The 29th and 30th are the only days they have work since it was delivered. The 31st was a Thai holiday.

The embassy is now using this website for the COE applications. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

It states you can do the application before the visa is issued. The visa can be upload after you get it.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The 29th and 30th are the only days they have work since it was delivered. The 31st was a Thai holiday.

The embassy is now using this website for the COE applications. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

It states you can do the application before the visa is issued. The visa can be upload after you get it.

ok thanks i will go ahead and do it

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

do i need to be worried they are considering my application with the wrong flight? Im assuming its already been processed  on the 30th , and now they will mail to me on the 4th?

4 minutes ago, at15 said:

do i need to be worried they are considering my application with the wrong flight? Im assuming its already been processed  on the 30th , and now they will mail to me on the 4th?

I emailed the LA consulate as soon as I got the news and rebooked my flights. At that time I had already submitted my application for the COE. They sent me a link to revise my application allowing me to upload my new booking info... It looked like this:  

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

Flight change. 

Due to the new Standard of Procedures from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in order to process your request, please upload the following document(s) using the link below (Please do NOT email us your documents)

• A: air ticket with proof of payment
  • B: confirmation of Alternative State Quarantine

Please check the new SOP at the Royal Thai Embassy's website https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Regarding flights to Thailand, please be advised that normal commercial passenger flights into Thailand have been suspended until further notice. Nevertheless, the Thai Government organizes repatriation flights for Thai nationals to return to Thailand on a regular basis and the semi-commercial flights that are permitted to enter Thailand. Please find more information regarding the flights at https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]

*** If the application is not completed within 7 days, it will be deleted automatically from the database ***

Use the link below to edit the shared entry.

View Entry

16 minutes ago, at15 said:

The flight you used for the visa application will not matter when it comes time to apply for the COE. There is no connection between the 2.

4 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

I emailed the LA consulate as soon as I got the news and rebooked my flights. At that time I had already submitted my application for the COE. They sent me a link to revise my application allowing me to upload my new booking info... It looked like this:  

He has not applied for a COE yet. He changed his flight after mailing his visa application.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He has not applied for a COE yet. He changed his flight after mailing his visa application.

ok yes, i have just finished the COE without uploading any flight information yet. up to 3 days until they confirm that and i upload more documents. I am just worried they will see the connection in Taiwan. Then realize that is not possible and deny the visa. But maybe i am being paranoid and that doesnt matter to get approved for the visa?

Edited by at15

I uploaded a PDF of my new airline booking. It was the same dates as my previous booking so the ASQ booking did not change. I had already mailed in my hardcopy visa application set, but I don't think they cared about the change for the visa, only for the COE.

I now have received my passport back from the Consulate with my visa , but have not yet received my COE which I understand comes by email. Overall, at least through the LA consulate it was pretty painless. Just follow their link back to your application, delete the old booking confirmation and upload the new. If your ASQ booking changed, you will do the same with it, then hit the "SUBMIT" button.

20 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

I uploaded a PDF of my new airline booking. It was the same dates as my previous booking so the ASQ booking did not change. I had already mailed in my hardcopy visa application set, but I don't think they cared about the change for the visa, only for the COE.

I now have received my passport back from the Consulate with my visa , but have not yet received my COE which I understand comes by email. Overall, at least through the LA consulate it was pretty painless. Just follow their link back to your application, delete the old booking confirmation and upload the new. If your ASQ booking changed, you will do the same with it, then hit the "SUBMIT" button.

ok good that is the same as me. flight same day with unchanged asq. unfortunately with the DC website you cannot click the link in the email and access it again now. im sure its fine. i just email them. they approved my insurance through email before.

Edited by at15

19 minutes ago, at15 said:

ok good that is the same as me. flight same day with unchanged asq. unfortunately with the DC website you cannot click the link in the email and access it again now

The link they sent me returns me to my COE application, not the visa application. I don't think they care about your flight changes for the visa, as long as you had confirmed bookings when you submitted it. As I understand it, you haven't finalized your COE application yet (am I correct in this?) if so just put in your current booking and ASQ confirmations and you should be all set.

When I changed flight bookings, I had already submitted both applications but they didn't ask for anything new for the visa application package (I don't think they cared about that anymore) They only wanted me to update the COE online application, because that document is date specific, whereas the visa is good for entry over a period of months. It's the COE which is the big deal currently. You don't even NEED a visa to enter the Kingdom, but you sure as hell need a COE. That's the big linchpin these days.

Get the current stuff in the COE submission and you should be good to go.

Good luck,

Gordo

P.S. I understand that LA and DC do things differently as far as sequence in the application process, so your path may differ from mine in some areas. Just follow their instructions exactly.... I do know they can email you a link back to finalize or amend your COE application.

Edited by Mai mee

10 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

The link they sent me returns me to my COE application, not the visa application. I don't think they care about your flight changes for the visa, as long as you had confirmed bookings when you submitted it. As I understand it, you haven't finalized your COE application yet (am I correct in this?) if so just put in your current booking and ASQ confirmations and you should be all set.

When I changed flight bookings, I had already submitted both applications but they didn't ask for anything new for the visa application package (I don't think they cared about that anymore) They only wanted me to update the COE online application, because that document is date specific, whereas the visa is good for entry over a period of months. It's the COE which is the big deal currently. You don't even NEED a visa to enter the Kingdom, but you sure as hell need a COE. That's the big linchpin these days.

Get the current stuff in the COE submission and you should be good to go.

Good luck,

Gordo

thanks man, yes i finished the COE initial submission. All they needed me to upload so far was the passport, ASQ, and insurance. also asked for the Visa but obviously dont have that yet. then i got this message......

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 11.44.28 PM.png

Edited by at15