Proof Of Income - Marriage Visa

Look mate! it seems to me that you have been given some pretty good advice by several well informed forum members on living in Thailand. Interpret it as you like.

I may have been a little harsh on saying jabber but believe me there is "no language barrier". You are "farang", get used to it!!, they will talk about you until the buff's come home.

If you choose to take your teerak back to UK and parade her around Tesco's and your local boozer, good on you!. If you want to stay here in the Kingdom make sure you have your act together when you visit the immigration. Try and not be Nak Pen Din and ignore any advice that comes out of Samui.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm planning for marriage now and looking at the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, which I have to get notarised at the UK Embassy in Bangkok. On this there is a section where I state my occupation and income, but nowhere does it state what proof is needed to support this.

I'm living off savings in the UK - I just transfer over what I need and when, and get it through the ATM. I describe myself as retired, though I'm well under retirement age so am not eligible to receive a pension. A month ago I decided to transfer a lump sum of more than 40k baht each month to try to use that as my basic for proof of income when I apply for a marriage visa - there will be 3 consecutive monthly deposits of 1000ukp.

But if I'm affirming that I am (essentially) retired and am giving myself an income of 1000ukp a month and that is notarised by the embassy and translated and all of the other doings, will I end up with something that can be used as proof of income for the marriage visa? And am I being accurate enough to not be outright lying on the affirmation?

What haven't I considered? Suddenly it seems like it might be much easier than I thought, which makes me think I'm missing something...

TIA,

Mark...

With respect to most of the replies to this subject, you are now way off the mark answering the original question. Visas and proof of income for retirement visas have nothing to do with the question.

I got married yesterday in Bangkok and here are the facts as I encountered them.

You go to the embassy with your affirmation with your monthly income stated. This is NOT checked, NOR did I have or need proof of the figure I gave them. (I am not saying I lied on the form, I am saying it was not checked in any way).

You also of course need your passport and 3,600 bahts in cash or you can pay by Visa/Mastercard etc. If you are divorced you need your decree absolute papers as well.

You are given a receipt and you can go back next day to collect your affirmation duly signed.

In my case yesterday, I used the services of an agency, well worth the money in my opinion as we did everything the same day.

After leaving the Embassy we were taken to the local "Register Office" and married. The agency had already made a translation into Thai of the affirmation, and the lady who 'married' us accepted the receipt from the Embassy as proof of the affirmation even though we did not have it.

The agency collected the affirmation for us this morning and is posting it back to us together with my divorce paper.

The whole thing took less than thre hours.

Thy 'Register Office' official did not even ask for my passport/visa as my Passport number was on the Thai copy of my affirmation and was not interested in which visa I was using. (In my case it is a Non imm multiple O).

The whole thing is VERY simple, and like most civilised countries love is the overriding factor in getting married and and not wealth.

The information above is not a one off, I have two other friends who went through the process in exactly the same way as the one I have laid out.

Hi Yorkie100,

I agree with you. Some of the replies are way off the question originally asked and perhaps one of the Editors could highlight this for everyone.

I’m getting married next month. Your experience sounds slightly different to what I am led to expect will be mine. When you talk about Embassy do you mean the Thai Legalisation and Naturalisation Division of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs? I ask because my Embassy wants to see:

my original affidavit (having had to send them a draft copy for their approval at least 4 weeks before the appointment to sign my original)

- my original long form birth certificate + photocopy

- my original passport + photocopy

- my fiancé’s original passport + photocopy

- an original bank statement + photocopy

On the affidavit I was told to say that I was living off savings as I will not be working and to show a bank statement of these savings.

I have not been previously married and have no kids so no need for a divorce or death cert.

I must complete a form in my Embassy and sign my affidavit in front of the Consul who also signs it. I pay them 1,160baht for this. This process should take 1 hour.

I then go to a reputable translation agency to get the Affidavit translated into Thai (cost unknown yet).

I bring this translation along with all other documents mentioned above to the Thai Legalisation and Naturalisation Division of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They verify the Consul's signature and check all accompanying documents including the bank statement and they certify the translated affidavit. Fee is about 400baht. Not sure how long this will take.

Last, but not least, I go to the Registrar at a local Amphur, who, if satisfied with the authentication of my Consul's signature and certification of the translated affidavit, will register the marriage and issue a Thai marriage cert.

Hope this is useful. In fact, I hope it works out as it is supposed to :o

Regards,

Hill16

Mr Hill 16

You are totally wrong for the uk embassy what you have said in your comments are for the irish embassy only and you are spot on for them.For the irish man who is thinking of doing an AFFIDAVIT (NOT AFFIRMATION FOR UK) You will also need to take your girlfriend with you on the day to the interview. They will ask you how long you been together etc etc want to see her passport and I.D.Card. IRISH ONLY.

I have given details of what is needed for the UK Embassy. Also the price is around 3500bt now. Please do not get confused.

Hi Teacher,

Rest assured, absolutely no confusion on my part in regards to what I have to do. Crystal clear in fact.

Thanks.

Hill16

I was stating that you were right for an irish Affidavit.

However, the UK Embassy do not require her passport, or for you to e-mail it for checking, and the prices you quote are higher for a British AFFIRMATION.

Please look at the difference in AFIRRMATION AND AFFIDAVIT.

You must take your Affimation to the British Embassy personlly by hand and sign it in front of them pay your fees and return the following day and pick it up. No need for your ladies passport what so ever as this is only for freedom for you to marry a thai citizen.

Hi Teacher,

Rest assured, absolutely no confusion on my part in regards to what I have to do. Crystal clear in fact.

Thanks.

Hill16

I was stating that you were right for an irish Affidavit.

However, the UK Embassy do not require her passport, or for you to e-mail it for checking, and the prices you quote are higher for a British AFFIRMATION.

Please look at the difference in AFIRRMATION AND AFFIDAVIT.

You must take your Affimation to the British Embassy personlly by hand and sign it in front of them pay your fees and return the following day and pick it up. No need for your ladies passport what so ever as this is only for freedom for you to marry a thai citizen.

Useful information. For British people... :o

Thanks anyway.

Look mate! it seems to me that you have been given some pretty good advice by several well informed forum members on living in Thailand. Interpret it as you like.

I agree. A help forum *is* a good place to offer helpful advise.

I may have been a little harsh on saying jabber but believe me there is "no language barrier".

It's up to you how you feel about your post.

You are "farang", get used to it!!, they will talk about you until the buff's come home.

I have no problem with that, given that I am a foreigner. I'm not one who takes offense at people who call me 'farang'. If someone wants to use it as a derogatory term, it's their problem not mine.

If you choose to take your teerak back to UK and parade her around Tesco's and your local boozer, good on you!

Maybe you're mistaking me for someone else. I'm asking about how to get a visa to *stay* in Thailand.

If you want to stay here in the Kingdom make sure you have your act together when you visit the immigration.

That's why I'm seeking helpful advice here.

Try and not be Nak Pen Din and ignore any advice that comes out of Samui.

Well I'll discuss what I want to, and take good advice wherever it comes from. Bad advice, I'll politely listen to and then disregard, wherever it comes from.

To close the thread, for me at least. As I understand from the posts and the other information pointed to by various people:

The affirmation requires no proof of income and it can be declared that I am living off savings, or retired, and this wll not affect anything as this is not an application - it's a declaration.

Income of 40k per couple needs to be proved to obtain an extension to 12 months of an non-imm O visa with reasons of dependant spouse (marriage visa) for any marriages from (a date in the past, but certainly) here on in. The embassy will confirm that income in writing and this is usually accepted as-is by immigration.

Proof of income varies. Certainly payslips, P60s (and the Thai equivalent) and letters from employers are readily accepted, and it's possible that other forms of proof might be accepted. Some embassies inspect these, and others consider that they are merely confirming that you are who you say you are when they notarise your proof of income letter.

It may be possible to get proof of income based on income not received through a 'usual' method (salary, pension, etc), such as investment or rental income, but trying to get this by manipulating savings to make it look like income might not be possible. It seems that this final point will depend on the embassy staff on the day - ie, theiraptitude and attitude.

So no definite answer on the proof of income, but lots of helpful suggestions. Many thanks to all who helped with this query.

• 4 weeks later...

Marc,

If you still check this thread....

I'm married with my Thai wife in the US but will be 'retiring' in the next couple years well before the age of 50 as well. I'm not sure what you're financial situation is, but what I've been looking into is setting up an annuity which is similar to a pension, but you put your own cash in and it pays out monthly until you die. At current rates and accounting for currency fluctuations and Thailand raising the limits in the future, if you can put ~$150,000 US into a similar account it would generate ~60K Baht monthly (depending on your age). It should then be rather simple to show monthly 'income' with a statement from the financial institution holding the annuity.

Food for thought.

I'm planning for marriage now and looking at the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, which I have to get notarised at the UK Embassy in Bangkok. On this there is a section where I state my occupation and income, but nowhere does it state what proof is needed to support this.

I'm living off savings in the UK - I just transfer over what I need and when, and get it through the ATM. I describe myself as retired, though I'm well under retirement age so am not eligible to receive a pension. A month ago I decided to transfer a lump sum of more than 40k baht each month to try to use that as my basic for proof of income when I apply for a marriage visa - there will be 3 consecutive monthly deposits of 1000ukp.

But if I'm affirming that I am (essentially) retired and am giving myself an income of 1000ukp a month and that is notarised by the embassy and translated and all of the other doings, will I end up with something that can be used as proof of income for the marriage visa? And am I being accurate enough to not be outright lying on the affirmation?

What haven't I considered? Suddenly it seems like it might be much easier than I thought, which makes me think I'm missing something...

TIA,

Mark...

With respect to most of the replies to this subject, you are now way off the mark answering the original question. Visas and proof of income for retirement visas have nothing to do with the question.

I got married yesterday in Bangkok and here are the facts as I encountered them.

You go to the embassy with your affirmation with your monthly income stated. This is NOT checked, NOR did I have or need proof of the figure I gave them. (I am not saying I lied on the form, I am saying it was not checked in any way).

You also of course need your passport and 3,600 bahts in cash or you can pay by Visa/Mastercard etc. If you are divorced you need your decree absolute papers as well.

You are given a receipt and you can go back next day to collect your affirmation duly signed.

In my case yesterday, I used the services of an agency, well worth the money in my opinion as we did everything the same day.

After leaving the Embassy we were taken to the local "Register Office" and married. The agency had already made a translation into Thai of the affirmation, and the lady who 'married' us accepted the receipt from the Embassy as proof of the affirmation even though we did not have it.

The agency collected the affirmation for us this morning and is posting it back to us together with my divorce paper.

Thy 'Register Office' official did not even ask for my passport/visa as my Passport number was on the Thai copy of my affirmation and was not interested in which visa I was using. (In my case it is a Non imm multiple O).

The whole thing is VERY simple, and like most civilised countries love is the overriding factor in getting married and and not wealth.

The information above is not a one off, I have two other friends who went through the process in exactly the same way as the one I have laid out.

Can full agree, I'm married last month in Bkk, trough Swiss Embassy, going the same way you have written here,

i have found this thread useful. i am planning on returning to thai in sept to marry my thai GF. i just wanted to confirm that the affirmation is a form that i can pick up at my embassy? i am canadian & here is what the canadian embassy says about required form for marrying a thai in thailand...

Obtain an English declaration form with instructions available at the Embassy. Notary walk-in service hours are Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 12:00. The declaration is used to confirm your marital status, permanent address, and to give two references in Canada.

The completed and notarized English declaration must then be translated into Thai by a certified translator. This usually takes 1-2 days to complete.

does it look like this is the affirmation/equivalent that has been well discussed here in previous posts?

one other question i have is whether an income tax statement from the previous year would be enough to prove 40k baht/month earnings? if not, even though i plan on jacking in my job would pay stubs be proof enough of the required income, even though i wouldn't be working at this job any longer?

thanx,

chokdeekrap

TIA,

Mark...

Can full agree, I'm married last month in Bkk, trough Swiss Embassy, going the same way you have written here,

Yes as easy as that. All done in a few hours.

John (British)

Marc,

If you still check this thread....

I'm married with my Thai wife in the US but will be 'retiring' in the next couple years well before the age of 50 as well. I'm not sure what you're financial situation is, but what I've been looking into is setting up an annuity which is similar to a pension, but you put your own cash in and it pays out monthly until you die. At current rates and accounting for currency fluctuations and Thailand raising the limits in the future, if you can put ~$150,000 US into a similar account it would generate ~60K Baht monthly (depending on your age). It should then be rather simple to show monthly 'income' with a statement from the financial institution holding the annuity.

Food for thought.

The average farang does not have 150.000 dollars available like it is peanuts.....

The average farang does not have 150.000 dollars available like it is peanuts.....

An interesting approach.

$150,000 is GBP75,000 and is peanuts to justify a visa. :D

No inflation proofing if the Thai gov moves the goal posts, the way the Malaysian gov does. :o

However doing the maths.

$150,000 at 5% gives $7500 pa = THB21,875 pm

To get a return of B65K a month you would need a lot more capital, or a better rate of return.......

I wonder how long the annuity companies think you will live, to make it work??