Proof Of Income - Marriage Visa

This has nothing to do with income. It is spending cash.

<looks again>

So it does. 'finance' not 'income'. Oops :o

But it doesn't mention 40k income for non-imm O (basis of marriage). I'm confusing myself a little here...

Edited by markwhite

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I DID NOT HAVE TO PROVE TO ANYONE BUT MY OWN EMBASY AND IMMIGRATION THAT I HAD AN INCOME, NOTHING TO THAILAND.

ALSO TO RETIRE I DONT BELIEVE YOU NEED TO HAVE A PENSION

To retire you need to be over 50 and have 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht income a month or a combination of both.

Hi MArk May be I am missing the point here. I was until recently resident in the Uk. I married my Thai sweetheart in BAngkok about 2 month back. I am in a similar position to you- self retired below retiremnt age living of savings.

I applied for a 1 year Non-O multiple entry visa at the consulate in Hull. Hull has a special status (if things have not changed, this was November 2006): You can put "stay with friends/family/girlfriend" in the application form. You fill in a SELF DECLARATION (part of the pack) that you have enough means to support yourself. Finish. No evidence is needed. This applies according to my knowledge to Hull, not to other consulates in the Uk.

With the confirmation of income for the consular document in Thailand (to get married) I can not help as I had to get this from the German embassy. They did not ask for supporting information (just for the names of two reference persons who could confirm whatever I wrote in the form). Likewise you have to fill in a lot of forms in Bang Rak (if you go there)- they were all happy with my job description as being retired and the "income" I chose to provide them with- it made sense to me to put the same figure in I wrote in the consular document. Does this help? Cheerio Stefan

It is all very simple.

UK farangs under 50 applying for a non immigrant visa as married to a Thai wife, requirements are the following:

1. 400,000 baht plus invested in a Thai bank.

2. An income from a business or employment a minimum of 40,000 baht per month for UK subjects.

Proof of income has to be shown, wage slips, audited accounts, references from employers, p60, tax reference numbers and tax amount paid each month.

Immigration is only interested in straight forward earning evidence, not earnings from savings unless these are in millions sterling amounts, not from websites unless the above documents can be obtained. Incomes by a Thai wife as support for a farang husband is frowned upon in Thailand and cannot be included in your application. Also joint bank accounts are not permitted in some cases.

Will you have pension income in the near future? otherwise how do you intend to financially survive in Thailand? This question will also be asked by immigration to establish if you are a suitable candidate to be long term resident here.

If you are not yet secure, or have no proper financial plan for your future, better for you to stay in the UK and save yourself & your wife some major problems.

EDIT: Above is not correct. - lopburi3

It is all very simple.

UK farangs under 50 applying for a non immigrant visa as married to a Thai wife, requirements are the following:

2. An income from a business or employment a minimum of 40,000 baht per month for UK subjects.

Proof of income has to be shown, wage slips, audited accounts, references from employers, p60, tax reference numbers and tax amount paid each month.

Immigration is only interested in straight forward earning evidence, not earnings from savings unless these are in millions sterling amounts, not from websites unless the above documents can be obtained. Incomes by a Thai wife as support for a farang husband is frowned upon in Thailand and cannot be included in your application. Also joint bank accounts are not permitted in some cases.

Will you have pension income in the near future? otherwise how do you intend to financially survive in Thailand? This question will also be asked by immigration to establish if you are a suitable candidate to be long term resident here.

If you are not yet secure, or have no proper financial plan for your future, better for you to stay in the UK and save yourself & your wife some major problems.

CAREFUL

It is number 2 (40k income) ONLY for new applicants

It is number 1 OR 2 if you already have and extension under the 400k previous to October 1 2006

It is never 1 AND 2

It is all very simple.

CAREFUL

It is number 2 (40k income) ONLY for new applicants

It is number 1 OR 2 if you already have and extension under the 400k previous to October 1 2006

It is never 1 AND 2

Also the 40,000 Baht a month income can be the Thai wifes earnings, yours or a combination of both. The law is FAMILY income.

I'm planning for marriage now and looking at the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, which I have to get notarised at the UK Embassy in Bangkok. On this there is a section where I state my occupation and income, but nowhere does it state what proof is needed to support this.

I'm living off savings in the UK - I just transfer over what I need and when, and get it through the ATM. I describe myself as retired, though I'm well under retirement age so am not eligible to receive a pension. A month ago I decided to transfer a lump sum of more than 40k baht each month to try to use that as my basic for proof of income when I apply for a marriage visa - there will be 3 consecutive monthly deposits of 1000ukp.

But if I'm affirming that I am (essentially) retired and am giving myself an income of 1000ukp a month and that is notarised by the embassy and translated and all of the other doings, will I end up with something that can be used as proof of income for the marriage visa? And am I being accurate enough to not be outright lying on the affirmation?

What haven't I considered? Suddenly it seems like it might be much easier than I thought, which makes me think I'm missing something...

TIA,

Mark...

It is all very simple.

It used to be simple!! but the new regulations came into force October 2006. For new applicants there is no need for 400,000 baht in the Thai bank account. Its a monthly income of not less than 40,000 baht (gross) per month from either party or both.

If your income is earned abroad you will need to provide evidence with a letter from your embassy plus immigration may ask you for any supporting doccuments (bank statements/ P60/letter from Pension company etc.

If you talk to the nice Thai ladies in the consulate section, BK British embassy, they will provide you with the income letter. You can do it all by mail. Send all evidence in the post (EMS) and include a postal order for 2488 baht (40 baht is for post), or alternatively you can visit the Consulate desk.

The 50 year age limit is now for retirement visa's and applicants/ parent of Thai child etc

I'm planning for marriage now and looking at the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, which I have to get notarised at the UK Embassy in Bangkok. On this there is a section where I state my occupation and income, but nowhere does it state what proof is needed to support this.

I'm living off savings in the UK - I just transfer over what I need and when, and get it through the ATM. I describe myself as retired, though I'm well under retirement age so am not eligible to receive a pension. A month ago I decided to transfer a lump sum of more than 40k baht each month to try to use that as my basic for proof of income when I apply for a marriage visa - there will be 3 consecutive monthly deposits of 1000ukp.

But if I'm affirming that I am (essentially) retired and am giving myself an income of 1000ukp a month and that is notarised by the embassy and translated and all of the other doings, will I end up with something that can be used as proof of income for the marriage visa? And am I being accurate enough to not be outright lying on the affirmation?

What haven't I considered? Suddenly it seems like it might be much easier than I thought, which makes me think I'm missing something...

TIA,

Mark...

With respect to most of the replies to this subject, you are now way off the mark answering the original question. Visas and proof of income for retirement visas have nothing to do with the question.

I got married yesterday in Bangkok and here are the facts as I encountered them.

You go to the embassy with your affirmation with your monthly income stated. This is NOT checked, NOR did I have or need proof of the figure I gave them. (I am not saying I lied on the form, I am saying it was not checked in any way).

You also of course need your passport and 3,600 bahts in cash or you can pay by Visa/Mastercard etc. If you are divorced you need your decree absolute papers as well.

You are given a receipt and you can go back next day to collect your affirmation duly signed.

In my case yesterday, I used the services of an agency, well worth the money in my opinion as we did everything the same day.

After leaving the Embassy we were taken to the local "Register Office" and married. The agency had already made a translation into Thai of the affirmation, and the lady who 'married' us accepted the receipt from the Embassy as proof of the affirmation even though we did not have it.

The agency collected the affirmation for us this morning and is posting it back to us together with my divorce paper.

The whole thing took less than thre hours.

Thy 'Register Office' official did not even ask for my passport/visa as my Passport number was on the Thai copy of my affirmation and was not interested in which visa I was using. (In my case it is a Non imm multiple O).

The whole thing is VERY simple, and like most civilised countries love is the overriding factor in getting married and and not wealth.

The information above is not a one off, I have two other friends who went through the process in exactly the same way as the one I have laid out.

TIA,

Mark...

With respect to most of the replies to this subject, you are now way off the mark answering the original question. Visas and proof of income for retirement visas have nothing to do with the question.

I got married yesterday in Bangkok and here are the facts as I encountered them.

You go to the embassy with your affirmation with your monthly income stated. This is NOT checked, NOR did I have or need proof of the figure I gave them. (I am not saying I lied on the form, I am saying it was not checked in any way).

You also of course need your passport and 3,600 bahts in cash or you can pay by Visa/Mastercard etc. If you are divorced you need your decree absolute papers as well.

You are given a receipt and you can go back next day to collect your affirmation duly signed.

In my case yesterday, I used the services of an agency, well worth the money in my opinion as we did everything the same day.

After leaving the Embassy we were taken to the local "Register Office" and married. The agency had already made a translation into Thai of the affirmation, and the lady who 'married' us accepted the receipt from the Embassy as proof of the affirmation even though we did not have it.

The agency collected the affirmation for us this morning and is posting it back to us together with my divorce paper.

The whole thing took less than thre hours.

Thy 'Register Office' official did not even ask for my passport/visa as my Passport number was on the Thai copy of my affirmation and was not interested in which visa I was using. (In my case it is a Non imm multiple O).

The whole thing is VERY simple, and like most civilised countries love is the overriding factor in getting married and and not wealth.

The information above is not a one off, I have two other friends who went through the process in exactly the same way as the one I have laid out.

Hi Yorkie100,

I agree with you. Some of the replies are way off the question originally asked and perhaps one of the Editors could highlight this for everyone.

I’m getting married next month. Your experience sounds slightly different to what I am led to expect will be mine. When you talk about Embassy do you mean the Thai Legalisation and Naturalisation Division of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs? I ask because my Embassy wants to see:

my original affidavit (having had to send them a draft copy for their approval at least 4 weeks before the appointment to sign my original)

- my original long form birth certificate + photocopy

- my original passport + photocopy

- my fiancé’s original passport + photocopy

- an original bank statement + photocopy

On the affidavit I was told to say that I was living off savings as I will not be working and to show a bank statement of these savings.

I have not been previously married and have no kids so no need for a divorce or death cert.

I must complete a form in my Embassy and sign my affidavit in front of the Consul who also signs it. I pay them 1,160baht for this. This process should take 1 hour.

I then go to a reputable translation agency to get the Affidavit translated into Thai (cost unknown yet).

I bring this translation along with all other documents mentioned above to the Thai Legalisation and Naturalisation Division of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They verify the Consul's signature and check all accompanying documents including the bank statement and they certify the translated affidavit. Fee is about 400baht. Not sure how long this will take.

Last, but not least, I go to the Registrar at a local Amphur, who, if satisfied with the authentication of my Consul's signature and certification of the translated affidavit, will register the marriage and issue a Thai marriage cert.

Hope this is useful. In fact, I hope it works out as it is supposed to :o

Regards,

Hill16

TIA,

Mark...

The whole thing took less than three hours.

Hi Yorkie100,

I agree with you. Some of the replies are way off the question originally asked and perhaps one of the Editors could highlight this for everyone.

I’m getting married next month. Your experience sounds slightly different to what I am led to expect will be mine. When you talk about Embassy do you mean the Thai Legalisation and Naturalisation Division of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs? I ask because my Embassy wants to see:

my original affidavit (having had to send them a draft copy for their approval at least 4 weeks before the appointment to sign my original)

- my original long form birth certificate + photocopy

- my original passport + photocopy

- my fiancé’s original passport + photocopy

- an original bank statement + photocopy

On the affidavit I was told to say that I was living off savings as I will not be working and to show a bank statement of these savings.

I have not been previously married and have no kids so no need for a divorce or death cert.

I must complete a form in my Embassy and sign my affidavit in front of the Consul who also signs it. I pay them 1,160baht for this. This process should take 1 hour.

I then go to a reputable translation agency to get the Affidavit translated into Thai (cost unknown yet).

I bring this translation along with all other documents mentioned above to the Thai Legalisation and Naturalisation Division of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They verify the Consul's signature and check all accompanying documents including the bank statement and they certify the translated affidavit. Fee is about 400baht. Not sure how long this will take.

Last, but not least, I go to the Registrar at a local Amphur, who, if satisfied with the authentication of my Consul's signature and certification of the translated affidavit, will register the marriage and issue a Thai marriage cert.

Hope this is useful. In fact, I hope it works out as it is supposed to :o

Regards,

Hill16

Hill 16, it was exactly like I stated above, don't know anything about the Thai Legalisation and .......etc., and certainly didn't go there, the British Embassy web site even says they don't accept copies of the divorce papers, but that was all I had and they didn't even blink when they accepted it. They did not ask for a birth certificate or anything else just my passport which they photocopied and gave back to me.

My marriage, of course, is only legal in Thailand at the moment, and I could have gone back to my embassy and given them the certified English translation copy of the Thai Marriage certificate for recording in the UK, but that would have taken another day. As it was I left Samui at 7.30 am in the morning and landed back same day at 15.30 easy.

I am going back to the UK this summer and will take all the papers back and get the marriage registered at our General Records Office and that will make my marriage legally recognised in my own Country.

Hope that helps, sorry but I don't understand why you seem to be making it complicated.

My wife, of course will at some time have to go back to her home town and change the name on her ID card and get a new passport in her new name, but there is no rush for this as she has a two year UK visa in her existing passport.

By the way, the company charged me 8,000 bahts for all this, as I said a bargain taking it all into account. They paid all costs out of this including taxi fares but excluding my Embassy fee of 3,600 bahts.

If you have a legal Thai marriage it is legal worldwide. You do not get to pick and choose with a new wife in every country.

but one can always dream. dreams are not illegal. :o

If you have a legal Thai marriage it is legal worldwide. You do not get to pick and choose with a new wife in every country.

Err.... thanks for that Mr. Super Moderator I think I worked that out for myself.

I was only trying to help the poster, unlike the majority of posts here that were totally off topic but have been left without comment!

Another "Brit" Samui expert tells us he got married (local register office ??!!) congratulations, hardly a difficult process, though being able to understand some Thai is useful when they jabber about you in the Amphur.

The OP confuses us all when he talks about "marriage visa's", (no such thing!) he does not require to start transferring money for proof of income just to get married in Thailand.

His difficulties may occur when his non-immigrant O visa eventually expires and he wants to stay with his wife in Thailand and applies for extension of stay (TM7), at the immigration office. Thats when you need the proof of income.

If the OP wishes to go down this road, he can read the police order (606) on the pinned section of this forum.

Alternatively book a flight to Samui and park yourself in a Ban Rak bar where you can listen to such words of wisdom as " Visa's ! we don't bother with that, we have a friend, who has a friend in immigration"

Another "Brit" Samui expert tells us he got married (local register office ??!!) congratulations, hardly a difficult process, though being able to understand some Thai is useful when they jabber about you in the Amphur.

The OP confuses us all when he talks about "marriage visa's", (no such thing!) he does not require to start transferring money for proof of income just to get married in Thailand.

His difficulties may occur when his non-immigrant O visa eventually expires and he wants to stay with his wife in Thailand and applies for extension of stay (TM7), at the immigration office. Thats when you need the proof of income.

If the OP wishes to go down this road, he can read the police order (606) on the pinned section of this forum.

Alternatively book a flight to Samui and park yourself in a Ban Rak bar where you can listen to such words of wisdom as " Visa's ! we don't bother with that, we have a friend, who has a friend in immigration"

Tell me where I claim to be an expert. I was merely relating my recent expriences to help someone.

You may have been confused by the OP but I was not, please do not speak for us all.

If this is the best help you can sarcastically offer, just go away.

Oh dear!, whats the matter? got up this morning and some dirt on the Fortuner?

Yes your experience's, fascinating stuff, perhaps it was your comments "on repectfully telling us that we are all way off the mark answering the original question" and "not understanding why we seem to be making it complicated"., that got up my chuff.

As for going away, in league with the mafia down there are we??

I DID NOT HAVE TO PROVE TO ANYONE BUT MY OWN EMBASY AND IMMIGRATION THAT I HAD AN INCOME, NOTHING TO THAILAND.

The question is what the embassy will ccept given my circumstance in my first message.

ALSO TO RETIRE I DONT BELIEVE YOU NEED TO HAVE A PENSION

I'm retired right now because I don't work. It's a nice label I like to put on myself, but it's nothing more. It does not change that fact that I am not eligible to receive my pension due to my age, or that I'm not eligible for non-imm OA visa for the same reason, and possibly others.

If you talk to the nice Thai ladies in the consulate section, BK British embassy, they will provide you with the income letter. You can do it all by mail. Send all evidence in the post

But it's whether I can provide the evidence they deem sufficient to notarise the letter saying I have income.

I think I just have to try and see what happens. There are other options, though faffy and more expensive, if they say no.

That perfectly answes my first query, ta very much.

BTW - what agent did you use, what were the fees, and would you recommend them? I have no problems going to the embassy twice and having a trip out to the translators and the MFA, but if the fee makes it easier to have it done for us, we might get some sight-seeing and shopping in instead of sitting in traffic :-)

Mark, I too have being going through this 40k baht monthly income saga, on hindsight I should have married my girlfriend last year and put the 400,000k in the bank option.

Nethertheless I did 'nt and married early this year instead.

I am in the last few days of non-immigrant visa and are due to visit Suan Plu immigration next week for annual extension application due to marriage Thai wife etc.

The embassy sent my proof of income letter, though slow in the post!. It may be worth calling the British consulate Tel: 02 305 8333 ext 2334 and have a chat, they are friendly. On my application I just wrote a covering letter, included 3 bank statements and last years P60, however who really knows what proof they require, it is early days and this will be a nice money spinner for the consulate once everybody has to apply for a proof of income letter.

Good luck

Mark, I too have being going through this 40k baht monthly income saga, on hindsight I should have married my girlfriend last year and put the 400,000k in the bank option.

Nethertheless I did 'nt and married early this year instead.

I am in the last few days of non-immigrant visa and are due to visit Suan Plu immigration next week for annual extension application due to marriage Thai wife etc.

The embassy sent my proof of income letter, though slow in the post!. It may be worth calling the British consulate Tel: 02 305 8333 ext 2334 and have a chat, they are friendly. On my application I just wrote a covering letter, included 3 bank statements and last years P60, however who really knows what proof they require, it is early days and this will be a nice money spinner for the consulate once everybody has to apply for a proof of income letter.

Good luck

My own view is that the Embassy is pretty much open to what evidence you present to them because you will have noticed that the wording of the letter does not put them on the spot at all. They merely write that YOU have submited evidence showing that you recieve and income of so and so. The same goes for the adress they merely say Mr XXX has indicated that he residedes as so and so adress. is a very 'Tahi' thing and no other Embassy provides this kind of letter around the world. The way these kind of things are done is through affidavit where you have to swear under oath bal bla bla.

Having said that immigration seems satisfied with such a letter from our Embassie so lets keep it that way and lets not give them ideas to have to provide specific documents as that will be really a pain as all sorts of income from all sorts of sources around the world would make it a real mess to have to go through with immigration.

That perfectly answes my first query, ta very much.

BTW - what agent did you use, what were the fees, and would you recommend them? I have no problems going to the embassy twice and having a trip out to the translators and the MFA, but if the fee makes it easier to have it done for us, we might get some sight-seeing and shopping in instead of sitting in traffic :-)

I have not done this before TV, but I will try to email you privately with the details as

1) they will probably be deleted as advertising and,

2) some &lt;deleted&gt;* will have a rude reply ready for me no doubt.

happy to be of help to you.

My posting on this topic is now over (phutoie2* will be pleased to know).

when they jabber about you in the Amphur.

Why do you say 'jabber'? It sounds like you're putting Thai people down because of a language barrier, but maybe I'm wrong...

The OP confuses us all when he talks about "marriage visa's", (no such thing!)

I did use 'marriage visa' rather than 'non-imm O with reasons of dependant spouse'.

His difficulties may occur when his non-immigrant O visa eventually expires

What non-imm O visa that will expire?

<after reading 606>

Are you refering to the permit to stay awaiting approval/outcome of application then?

I can find nothing in there about what constitutes 'income', which is what I'm trying to establish. Though I hadn't seen the document before, so that was helpful to see.

Yes your experience's, fascinating stuff

For me, the original poster, it was very helpful.

perhaps it was your comments "on repectfully telling us that we are all way off the mark answering the original question"

And for some posts (many are very helpful), as the original poster I'd say this is accurate. I know I need to prove 40k income which has been pointed out by numerous people. I know that I can get a letter from the embassy verifying income if I provide them with payslips, or bank statements showing a monthly credit, or a letter from my employer, or other things as pointed out by others too.

Ideally I hoped to get people's personal experiences because although the rules are there, many threads acknowledge that immigration interpret those rules. A few people have posted their experiences and though some have been too different from my position to really help me, the responses are still appreciated.

As is your initial response as, although it didn't tell me what I need to know, it pointed me at information I'd not seen before.

And if the mods remove messages where people just argue and don't really offer anything useful, well that will be helpful too.

Edited by markwhite

TIA,

Mark...

You need to show to immigration a letter from Embassy stating that your income is more than 40k per month.

The UL Embassy needs to see some proof of that income

Immigration will want to see the Embassy letter + maybe the suporting documents

I is quite simple

Someone is getting totally mixed up unless of course it's me!!!!!!

Your Affirmation is for you to make a statement about your circumstances and nothing at all to do with a marriage visa for you.

This is only to give you the freedom to marry a thai. You dont even have to mention the thai ladies name.

When you have married you can then go for a marriage visa and this is when you need the proof of earnings/savings etc etc.

I have done 4 affirmations for friends (in fact i still have the template on this computer) and you do not need to show any proof of earnings, you are only marrying her.

The only documents/things you take to the embassy are

1. Your passport.

2. Your ORIGINAL divorce papers or ORIGINAL DEATH CERTIFICATE of your late wife.

3. Your passport.

4. The fees.

5. And yourself as no body else can do this for you.

You sign and date the Affirmation in front of the officer who is attending you at the time of being served.

You leave the passport over night and pick it up the following day.