Thailand reports 745 new COVID-19 cases, one more death

webfact

3 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Migrant workers reported yesterday  but not in yesterday figures see daily figures at top. 

We know testing only being done very minimal.

I could even have virus.

NUH quick TEMP check 35.6C  just a hangover. A hair of the dog will fix. ????

So you're on the border of Hypothermia!????

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Wait for the REAL lockdown. That's how they will save face. Wait for the curfew and alcohol ban. It worked before and will work again, but will be over a longer duration. There is NO way they will let daily cases run into the thousands, and if they do there will be a massive lockdown, probably like the one in Wuhan, where you couldn't leave the house for 6 weeks. Wait. 

Spot on! 

3 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

No testing = No positive cases! 

That would only be true if 100% Covid cases are asymptotic, which is obviously nonsense.

Assuming that maybe 90% are asymptotic, “no testing” would equal to 10% cases that show up in hospitals and are discovered there. And that wasn’t the case. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

Just now, bluesofa said:

Before it was Red zone areas. Now it seems the entire country has had school shut down.

They don’t need much of an excuse to shutdown the schools. They put so little emphasis on education. 

And as for online learning..........yeah right 

3 hours ago, Stev Lam said:

Thailand seemingly trying to playdown reporting case numbers (reporting in a very confusing way)....trying to draw a line between migrant workers and locals...not sure what is their point? Afterll is local infection cases!

I would think that their point is pretty much the same as other countries that report clusters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stev Lam said:

Thailand seemingly trying to playdown reporting case numbers (reporting in a very confusing way)....trying to draw a line between migrant workers and locals...not sure what is their point? Afterll is local infection cases!

In other words Foreigners not Thais " same same"

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Wait for the REAL lockdown. That's how they will save face. Wait for the curfew and alcohol ban. It worked before and will work again, but will be over a longer duration. There is NO way they will let daily cases run into the thousands, and if they do there will be a massive lockdown, probably like the one in Wuhan, where you couldn't leave the house for 6 weeks. Wait. 

I was here for the last one and remember it well, had food supply for 3 months, although didn't stock up on alcohol, albeit I had a bottle of scotch which lasted, that was my mistake, this time I am stocked well on what I like.

Lockdown like Wuhan, bring it on, for the good of everyone, big enough house, lots of entertainment and things to do here, the only problem is they can't afford to lockdown, especially with the vaccines at their front door next month, compliments China, is it any good, we will soon find out as the Chinese have been getting the jab since July apparently. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, dgwooster said:

Rather than having the total number of tests done, it would be nice to have a "Percent Positivity" result, which would be more informative.   Then we'd know how pervasive the cases are in the kingdom.

number of positive results 

dvided by the......................   x 100%

number of total tests given

I don't think the positivity percentage (or tests/case) is that useful.  In Thailand's case, that statistic shouldn't be given much weight because of "selection bias" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias ).  Thailand is only testing those to have had or likely to have had, close contact with an infected person.  Therefore that statistic will not be representative of the general Thai population.

Epidemiologists generally use that statistic to judge if enough RANDOM testing is being done to detect asymptomatic spread or early warning of pending outbreaks in a population.

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Thailand has pretty solid form in the area of making it seem like any foreign person who has the virus is bad and it is their fault, while any Thai person who has the virus is innocent and a victim of foreigners.  Even if the foreign person catches the virus from a Thai in Thailand, they are still treated as though they did it deliberately and maliciously.

The point will be to reinforce the idea that if migrant workers have it, it is their fault and they are bad.  That it is a foreign virus and foreigners are to blame.  This kind of racism or xenophobia seems to be a pretty essential part of Thai society, especially dealing with the virus.

19 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I was here for the last one and remember it well, had food supply for 3 months, although didn't stock up on alcohol, albeit I had a bottle of scotch which lasted, that was my mistake, this time I am stocked well on what I like.

Lockdown like Wuhan, bring it on, for the good of everyone, big enough house, lots of entertainment and things to do here, the only problem is they can't afford to lockdown, especially with the vaccines at their front door next month, compliments China, is it any good, we will soon find out as the Chinese have been getting the jab since July apparently. 

I was here for the last lockdown  There was NO NEED for stocking up or any kind of panic buying. The shops remained fully provisioned and open. The was a brief window when the sale of alcohol was banned and some forward thinking and buying in was required. But it was brief, well signaled  and there were plenty of options.

"4,087 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre."

What a useless piece of information. 

So is that 1 person in the hospital and 4,086 in a migrant quarantine center (what on earth is that? A prison for positive tested migrant workers? What does this even look like?) or is it 50 people in a round-up pen and the rest in hospital?

With brainiacs putting this junk out without even thinking about its meaning tells you a lot. 

• Like 1

Just now, Trujillo said:

"4,087 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre."

What a useless piece of information. 

So is that 1 person in the hospital and 4,086 in a migrant quarantine center (what on earth is that? A prison for positive tested migrant workers? What does this even look like?) or is it 50 people in a round-up pen and the rest in hospital?

With brainiacs putting this junk out without even thinking about its meaning tells you a lot. 

And those in hospital have probably only tested positive & are healthy.

• Like 1

World News
January 4, 20212:57 PM Updated 3 hours ago

JUST ANNOUNCED ---Thailand to receive first 200,000 Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines in Feb

Another 800,000 doses of the Sinovac vaccine will arrive by March and one million in April, Supakit Sirilak, Director-General of Medical Science Department, said on Sunday.

There's 67 million people in Thailand. 

DO THE MATH

200,000 plus 800,000 plus 1 million..

WHAT ARE THE REST OF US SUPPOSED TO DO ????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Makoshark said:

World News
January 4, 20212:57 PM Updated 3 hours ago

JUST ANNOUNCED ---Thailand to receive first 200,000 Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines in Feb

Another 800,000 doses of the Sinovac vaccine will arrive by March and one million in April, Supakit Sirilak, Director-General of Medical Science Department, said on Sunday.

There's 67 million people in Thailand. 

DO THE MATH

200,000 plus 800,000 plus 1 million..

WHAT ARE THE REST OF US SUPPOSED TO DO ????

2 vaccinations per person. then only 1 million people will get vaccinated, the rich and famous first. What will the other 66 million people do???

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stev Lam said:

Well, Singapore did the same with its migrant worker cases. It seems logical that in each case the authorities were trying to reassure the local population that cases were primarily confined to one particular area/ populace.

I don’t see that it’s an unreasonable thing to do. All the cases are counted, simply segregated into two groups

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand confirmed 745 new coronavirus cases on Monday.

Of the new cases, 152 were local transmissions and 577 were amongst migrant workers, the majority of which were discovered in Samut Sakhon and followed widespread testing.

577 migrant workers, the MAJORITY of which were discovered in Samut Sakhon. How many were  discovered  NOT in Samut Sakhon, and where were they discovered?