Thailand reports 745 new COVID-19 cases, one more death

webfact

2 hours ago, Makoshark said:

World News
January 4, 20212:57 PM Updated 3 hours ago

JUST ANNOUNCED ---Thailand to receive first 200,000 Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines in Feb

Another 800,000 doses of the Sinovac vaccine will arrive by March and one million in April, Supakit Sirilak, Director-General of Medical Science Department, said on Sunday.

There's 67 million people in Thailand. 

DO THE MATH

200,000 plus 800,000 plus 1 million..

WHAT ARE THE REST OF US SUPPOSED TO DO ????

Hard lockdown now, then vaccinate all the VIPs, open up again and let the virus cull the rest of us at will.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Makoshark said:

WHAT ARE THE REST OF US SUPPOSED TO DO ????

Enjoy what's left of our lives, no point in hiding, although we can, but still no guarantees, same said for life's other diseases which could fall upon us anytime, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, the big C etc etc etc.

I try to avoid people apart from the usual waterhole lads twice a week for a couple of beers and some pool, kids go to school and if they get it and bring it home, well, will just have to hope for the best, pre-existing condition and all.

Life is short and sweet as the saying goes, although I did read that in May 26 million doses of AstraZeneca will be available, so if you have money and can buy any type of vaccine, hopefully it will offer some kind of protection as there is never any guarantee with vaccines that they will protect you fully.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ericdiam said:

And these migrants all stay in camps who are sealed off since the start. 

So somewhere the 152 for total Thailand is not that bad. But yeah next 2 weeks that no will sure go up because all the traveling and mass gathering for Christmas and new year

If migrants are all contained in camps, how did 152 Thais get the virus?

Do you really believe that migrant workers never ever interact with the rest of society?

43 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

If migrants are all contained in camps, how did 152 Thais get the virus?

Do you really believe that migrant workers never ever interact with the rest of society?

Before they where locked up people came already in contact with them and these travelled around. That the main problem now 

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

the infections in migrants are for the most part people who live and work together ion a specific place so reflect a localized problem. Whereas other local cases reflect how widespread the problem has become/is becoming.

It is quite useful to look at these numbers separately.  We already know there has been considerable (and mostly asymptomatic) spread among migrant workers in Samut Sakhon. What remains to be seen is to what extent this has seeded clusters elsewhere and how fast those spread.

Right. The question is, how long would we have to wait to find out? I guess we should hunker down until we find out, as we did in March and April.

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Tests cost them money, why do you think they aren't shutting down the country, because it will cost them money to pay people, I think the word is "stimulus" ?

They don't have the money, hence no vaccine purchased 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Doesn't matter how you try to dress it up, those are very bad numbers.

These are the numbers of people tested or that have gone to the hospital.any thais won’t go even if sick because they will be hospitalized- quarantined, and won’t be able to work and feed their family 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AussieinThaiJim said:

Testing is the key to finding the real situation. In Vic Aus 20,000 tests a day and only a few (<5) cases!

Please Thailand get your act together with testing.

You mean like the UK,nearly 60,000 cases yesterday and now in full lockdown.

Do you really believe that mass testing actually stops the virus? All mass testing does is tell you where the virus is, something you also learn from a hospital full of covid patients.

I would suggest that the empty hospitals in Thailand are a good indication of how effective targeted testing and tracing has been.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife's father was in the hospital in BURIRAM and was getting better but the doctor was going to keep him a few more days for observation.

Then, all of a sudden, he and many others were discharged because the hospital "needed room for Covid patients."

Which is rather strange since there are no documented cases in Buriram Province TTBOMK .... and it is not listed on the restrictions issued by the PM.

Hmmmmmm.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kotsak said:

I guess they are trying to show they are Übermensch????

That said, what impact have these migrant workers on unpaid state hospital bills and what will that mean for the western tourists and expats?

17 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Given the globally accepted infection rates in Thailand compared to almost every other country on that list, then it means the traced and targeted testing policy adopted by the medical experts here worked. It's also a policy that has been lauded internationally as successful.

Add to that, that the rates in many countries include multiple testing of health workers. I personally know of an isolation worker in New Zealand who has been tested a couple of dozen times as routine. 

It seems people are happy to accept Thailand's testing numbers as accurate on the WHO site and condemn them for it and then question the same site's infection (and death rates) despite a similar source. It's the same logic that says the Dems cheated in the states Trump lost but not in the ones he won. 

There is a Facebook page (no link sorry it was week or so ago) where doctors and virologists discuss why Thailand's testing was so effective. But I guess that conflicts with the armchair and barroom memes.

Yes we are successfully entering our second lockdown