Potentially disasterous experience with a bench top gas cooker !

Dumbastheycome

42 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Why use something so dangerous inside you house such as a gas bottle. You would not do that living in the west. There are plenty of excellent portable induction cooktops on the market. 

I do not live in "The West". But when I did I used  to have a  portable  gas  heater  for the  rare occasion it  was  felt  needed. It  incorporated a gas cylinder. Heater and  gas cylinder both subject  to "regulated  quality  inspection and  approval".  In fact the  gas  cylinder  was  produced  and imported  from .....Thailand !

The question is then that  despite "preference" in  equipment it is the  standard  which is  important.

Incidentally...if  you possess such does  your induction  cooktop  have an effective  earth pin on the supply lead?

On 1/4/2021 at 6:10 AM, CharlieH said:

Good news no one was injured, thanks for the warning to others, its something that can so easily happen over time I guess.

Our is always turned off immediately after use and the bottle is physically located outside the premises.

Great idea to have the bottle outside or as far away from people as poss.

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The flexible thicker type of gas pipe I used at our house runs from outside through blue PVC pipe under the floor and up inside the wall to the other side of the kitchen.

.IMG_1633.JPG.1d58e7ee35968a050860a6eb225a313b.JPG

So you have to go outside every time you light burner or stop cooking?

I have an induction hotplate for years, safer for me as I cook outside and a gas cooker flame blows in the wind.   Even at a friends house when cooking in the outside kitchen have had my fingers burnt a few times.

I also now have just had a pacemaker fitted so there goes the cooking for a while ( 3 months ), then I must be aware of my distance from the hotplate.
My diet is pretty simple as I am a vegan.

Some years ago in Phuket, my ex bought a new gas stove and it was installed by a 'competant' fitter!  

Next morning, I went to the kitchen and tried to light the gas stove with one of those spark-lighters. It wouldn't light at first, but then there was a huge explosion and I was blown backwards, suffering second-degree burns to my  bare legs, arms and face (bye-bye eyebrows!).

It turns out that the gas fitter had correctly fitted the gas bottle and regulator to the gas pipe, but had failed to connect the other end of the gas pipe to the burners!!  So when I opened the regulator, the gas simply filled the empty storage space of the base unit......