No lockdown in Samut Sakhon, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat: PM

webfact

2 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I'm starting to think Covid is a thing.

If you got free tickets to a football game with 100,000 people and free beer, would you go?

If there was free beer but all 100,000 people couldn't wear a mask, would you go?

how about 10,000?  1,000?  10?

as they say....................................................... up to you

Yes it's a thing, it's a nasty little virus that you might not even know you've got. Pass it on to an elderly person who normally might go on for a few years more and you could kill them.

Wake up and think of others.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

If you look at actual data, this is not necessarily true.

Sweden had high mortality early,  recently lower than countries like Austria or Switzerland (similar populations).

But the Swedish way is not accepted by western media - therefore it will be portrayed in a bad light 

Well, it is a marathon not a sprint.

Fact is Sweden still has more deaths and cases then Austria or Switzerland.

And the point is bragging about the "freedom" and "Swedish way" Sweden has allowed during this pandemic as if it has been a good strategy, is a totally false narrative.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

No lockdown in Samut Sakhon, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat: PM

REUTERS.jpg

REUTERS FILE photo for reference only

Thailand’s Prime Minister on Tuesday confirmed there is no lockdown in Samut Sakhon, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

The clarification comes after Deputy Public Health Minister and MP for Rayong province, Satit Pitutacha, posted on Facebook on Monday evening, thanking the PM for approving the proposal to lockdown the aforementioned provinces. 

However, on Tuesday morning, the PM said no lockdown is in place in the five provinces or anywhere else in Thailand, TNA MCOT reported.

This was reiterated by Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) spokesperson Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin during the daily COVID-19 briefing.

Dr Taweesin said that while the provinces were operating at the “highest and intensifying level of control”, no lockdown was in place.

Late on Monday, Chonburi governor Phakthorn Thianchai announced a number of provincial restrictions aimed at helping to limit the spread of the virus. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-05

Extremely confusing 

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't meet anyone more elderly than me.

I'm OK with you infecting me, no blame, no recriminations, I have to die of something.

I don't believe the Thai government is any more (or less) effective than any other government.

You would  have a better chance of turning the tide back.

It's obvious that harsh lockdowns are about to happen all over.

You're happy with someone handing you an expensive death sentence????

Norway did the right thing who gives a damn what other countys think thailand should've done the same a long time ago maybe mine fields too lol then the burmese and sneaky thais would stop coming over hte border illegally this way we and the thais can go back to 0 cases for a long time

Edited by portlandtree
not right

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Looks like those personal freedoms sadly caused a lot of death..

Sweden’s death rate of over 80 per 100,000 people is among Europe’s highest and is around 10 times as great as those of Norway and Finland, and over four times Denmark’s. COVID-19 hospitalizations are now rising faster there than in most European countries, and Sweden is caring for more patients in hospital now than it did at the height of its first wave. By Dec. 21, Sweden had surpassed the United States and all major European countries in its daily confirmed cases per million. Things have gotten so out of control in Sweden that neighboring Norway, for the first time since World War II, put troops on the border to prevent Swedes from crossing over.

Initially, the country had a relatively high death rate per capita, earning the scorn of lockdown proponents. And it’s true that Sweden was lax in protecting vulnerable nursing home residents during the nascent days of the pandemic.

But the situation in Sweden has improved dramatically. The New York Times noted last week that the nation is doing far better at containing the virus than many other European countries grappling with renewed outbreaks. And even as COVID-19 numbers have rebounded in recent weeks in places such as Great Britain, Spain, Germany and France, many European leaders are now highly skeptical of the sustainability of shutting down commerce as a means of addressing the virus.

“Today, all of the European countries are more or less following the Swedish model, combined with the testing, tracing and quarantine procedures the Germans have introduced, but none will admit it,” Antoine Flahault, director of the Institute of Global Health, in Geneva told the Times. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

this I wish out of it.  Lock it down tight for shhort time or not at all . 

This half-waying it is the worst way imo that has NO real effect. 

Closing 75% of businesses is not working, and the arbitrary decisions of what is 'essential'. 

Close it all down for 2.5 weeks minus food and bev for the house  and let's be done with this 'lockdown' life.

Edited by Dart12
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Initially, the country had a relatively high death rate per capita, earning the scorn of lockdown proponents. And it’s true that Sweden was lax in protecting vulnerable nursing home residents during the nascent days of the pandemic.

But the situation in Sweden has improved dramatically. The New York Times noted last week that the nation is doing far better at containing the virus than many other European countries grappling with renewed outbreaks. And even as COVID-19 numbers have rebounded in recent weeks in places such as Great Britain, Spain, Germany and France, many European leaders are now highly skeptical of the sustainability of shutting down commerce as a means of addressing the virus.

“Today, all of the European countries are more or less following the Swedish model, combined with the testing, tracing and quarantine procedures the Germans have introduced, but none will admit it,” Antoine Flahault, director of the Institute of Global Health, in Geneva told the Times. 

QUOTE:

many European leaders are now highly skeptical of the sustainability of shutting down commerce as a means of addressing the virus.

QUOTE:

“Today, all of the European countries are more or less following the Swedish model,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Really?

8 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I am happy that I left the madhouse after the first lockdown.

It's not a madhouse where I live in Chonburi Province, unless one drives the roadways. The real madness are the Thai drivers, their desire to die behind the wheel or handlebars, and the governments ineptness to do anything about it.

Good luck with the sanity wherever you live and perhaps it's better that you don't risk returning to this madness.

3 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

The lockdown was initially sold across the world as the only way to avert calamity. The cost of the closures (in terms of lost liberty, lost livelihoods, and, indeed, lost lives through non-coronavirus health conditions) was so vast that there was no other way to justify it. Lockdown proponents didn’t say, “This might slightly reduce the mortality rate.” They said, “Do it or our hospitals will be overwhelmed!”

Which was, to be fair, what they initially expected to happen in Sweden. “Heading for disaster” was the headline in Britain’s right-wing Sun. “They are leading us to catastrophe,” agreed the left-wing Guardian. Time magazine reported that “Sweden’s relaxed approach to the coronavirus could already be backfiring” and quoted a doctor saying that it would “probably end in a historical massacre.” “We fear that Sweden has picked the worst possible time to experiment with national chauvinism,” chided the Washington Post. President Trump, justifying his own crackdown, bizarrely claimed that Sweden “gave it a shot, and they saw things that were really frightening, and they went immediately to shutting down the country.”

Not one commentator in March or April argued that Sweden might be less at risk than other places. Lockdown enthusiasts have switched very suddenly from “Sweden is heading for a genocide” to “well, we couldn’t do that here because we’re nothing like Sweden.”

What we are seeing is a version of the sunk cost fallacy — a determination to justify the huge losses imposed by the lockdown. It is beyond depressing to see scientists give in to these basic cognitive biases.

Many compare Sweden's infection figures with the other Scandinavian countries, in my town for example the Somali population live in more crowded flats than the native Swedes and got a five time higher infection rate compared to the natives. Many of these immigrant work in the care homes and infected many old people in the first wave before this was figured out. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Many compare Sweden's infection figures with the other Scandinavian countries, in my town for example the Somali population live in more crowded flats than the native Swedes and got a five time higher infection rate compared to the natives. Many of these immigrant work in the care homes and infected many old people in the first wave before this was figured out. 

QUOTE: any compare Sweden's infection figures with the other Scandinavian countries

Correct, and goes against your defence of the Swedish approach.

But I do not understand the rest of your post???

how about this fact:  total death rate is DOWN from 2019 to 2020.  People lived LONGER in 2020 than 2019.  That means there is nothing altering the path of the world's health and mortality than where it's been trending for over 100 plus years.

This is Data, not opinion.

The Hong Kong flu of 1968 pandemic was worse than this (1-4 million deaths) but did they lockdown, shutdown societies for months. No, this is just stupid groupthink where moron politicians are doing more harm than good and it does not even help to contain the pandemic! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

The lockdown was initially sold across the world as the only way to avert calamity. The cost of the closures (in terms of lost liberty, lost livelihoods, and, indeed, lost lives through non-coronavirus health conditions) was so vast that there was no other way to justify it. Lockdown proponents didn’t say, “This might slightly reduce the mortality rate.” They said, “Do it or our hospitals will be overwhelmed!”

Which was, to be fair, what they initially expected to happen in Sweden. “Heading for disaster” was the headline in Britain’s right-wing Sun. “They are leading us to catastrophe,” agreed the left-wing Guardian. Time magazine reported that “Sweden’s relaxed approach to the coronavirus could already be backfiring” and quoted a doctor saying that it would “probably end in a historical massacre.” “We fear that Sweden has picked the worst possible time to experiment with national chauvinism,” chided the Washington Post. President Trump, justifying his own crackdown, bizarrely claimed that Sweden “gave it a shot, and they saw things that were really frightening, and they went immediately to shutting down the country.”

Not one commentator in March or April argued that Sweden might be less at risk than other places. Lockdown enthusiasts have switched very suddenly from “Sweden is heading for a genocide” to “well, we couldn’t do that here because we’re nothing like Sweden.”

What we are seeing is a version of the sunk cost fallacy — a determination to justify the huge losses imposed by the lockdown. It is beyond depressing to see scientists give in to these basic cognitive biases.

If only these thousands of scientists, in 196 countries, all coming to to the same same conclusion, were smart enough to listen to you... It must be beyond depressing to be such a genius and no one will listen.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pracha Duang said:

There are many places you can go that laugh at the concept of a lockdown and wearing a mask. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Buenos Aires, Argentina. Cancun, Mexico. Medellin, Colombia. Miami Beach, Florida. All places that are amazing. My buddy is in Rio right now ( traveled from New York, no quarantine required, can stay basically as long as he wants because getting a visa extension is super easy right now ), sent me pics of new years there. Insane parties, no one wearing masks are taking covid seriously. It’s paradise. Not to mention the women are beautiful. And it’s a lot cheaper than Thailand ( granted I’m in Phuket ). 

Another one who feels the need to name the country after the city......