Business Bkk-ams With Malev

jingjoe

I got a (too good to be true?) biz class deal from BKK - AMS flying Malev Hungarian. When my paper tickets arrived today, they displayed "Z" in the class column.

On checking with the travel provider they insisted that it was indeed Biz class. Yet when I checked on the Malev website, Z class refered to economy class.

The travel providers assurances won't carry much weight if on check in I am directed to the economy line.

Can anyone assist?

Yet when I checked on the Malev website, Z class refered to economy class.

This is not a definitive answer, but by looking at the Northwest Airlines "earning mileage" chart for Malév Hungarian (Malév is a NW partner), I would also be a little suspicious about a 'Z' fare. The NW chart indicates elite mileage earned at 100% for 'Z' fares on Malév Hungarian which is consistent with economy class, not the 150% earned for business class. But, Malév is a partner airline for NW and sometimes earning mileage works differently on partners, especially if the ticket is as discounted as you say.

Thanks for that, yeah my google search found that site you refer to. The Malev site has a newsletter that definitively lists Z as economy. Now I guess the trick is to convince BestFlights.com.au of this. The girl I spoke to, though insistant I was booked in Biz class, promised to arrange for her manager to call me back (he was on the phone at the time). He never called.

I'm not sure where I stand.post-14723-1178722252_thumb.jpg

Edited by jingjoe

I'm not sure where I stand.

I'm not either. It's suspicious but yet not out of the realm of possibility. I looked at the Malév Hungarian site for a moment. Was having trouble lining up flights on the BKK-AMS route but from what I saw, 'D' looked like it was their designation for discounted business class. But that's not to say that 'Z' couldn't also be so...

Definitely economy, and discounted economy at that. Look at their FFP rules:

http://www.malev.hu/bp/eng/I_DUNACLUBREGULATION_ENG/

That is current as of April 1, 2007, and they clearly list J, C, D, I as the only booking classes for Business and Z as "Discount economy". Your travel agent screwed you over. Demand they re-issue you a ticket in either J, C, D, or I.

As flight crew I am asked to look at tickets all the time from passengers insisting they paid for First class/Business Class. Discounted Business class is nearly always D class, as discounted first class is normally A. That said I have seen many exceptions to the rules ove the years. Have you called Malev to find out what class they have booked for you? It's possible they have booked Business class and when issuing the ticket put the discounted "Z" class in the booking code per the agreement they have with Malev. This is to do with override agreements and commissions and such so it's quite possible that you are in fact in business class. What seat is booked for you? This is a dead giveaway as well. Anyway I would get on the phone and call Malev and ask what class of service am I booked in? If you are booked in business class according to Malev then you are ok.

I called the booking agent again today and asked what was happening, she was aware of my situation, and told me the matter was "being investigated". I asked if I could expect yesterdays return phone call & answer sometime today?, she said, "hopefully". Didn't happen.

Soju: I appreciate your comments which kind of motivate me to insist that this "popular" aussie booking website supply me with the item I, (in good faith & fingers crossed) paid for. Until this point I had (silently) resigned myself to the bottom line position of insisting on a refund inclusive of all outlays because I have no inclination to fly that far in economy I'll just spend that extra week in LOS.

Flight: thanks for your suggestion, when I spoke to bestflights they checked my booking and insisted in was Biz class, they couldn't explain the Z code, and had no answer when I asked them.... what rights do I have when a well meaning checking staff member says, "sorry sir your ticket is economy, please go and line up behind the 100 people over there".

All the literature available from ANY website including Malev states that Z = discounted economy.

I haven't called Malev, I'm not really sure if that would achieve anything??? and I guess I'm a little put off by the BS I would have to go through to track down someone that could answer the question in plain english.

I am not booked into any seat that I'm aware of, and yeah, that'd answer the question definitively, I agree.

I'll give bestflights until Monday to get back to me, then I'll chase them up again.

I do appreciate your replies, most helpful.

Edited by jingjoe

I haven't called Malev, I'm not really sure if that would achieve anything??? and I guess I'm a little put off by the BS I would have to go through to track down someone that could answer the question in plain english.

You should definitely contact MALEV to have them confirm in which class you are booked. They will be able to tell you right away. Aternatively, you can check your booking by using this site by entering your reservation nr and your name.

This all sounds very fishy to me and it seems that your booking agency has made a mistake. Good luck!

Good advice Levent, thank you.

Bestflights use the sabre reservation system, which I tried to access but failed.

I rang Malev in Hungary who couldn't find my reservation from the code I was supplied, but DID assure me Z class was Economy.

Getting impatient I called Bestflights again, and was told they're still investigating how the booking system managed to FK things up.

I asked what the likely outcome would be, and she said "well, we'll probably have to honour your booking in Business class, but don't quote me"...

"sure" I said, "trust me". :D

Anyway, she said they will contact me Monday.

So I'm cautiously optomistic again :o

Getting impatient I called Bestflights again, and was told they're still investigating how the booking system managed to FK things up.

Sure, the booking system made a mistake, not the actual people booking the flight... :o How typical...

Just a quick update.

Contacted the travel agency today and was informed that they were upgrading my tickets to "I" class (business class on Malev), but that it would be a couple of weeks before it's done.

They encouraged me to book accomodation etc for that trip as it was "as good as done". They just needed to await the MD's return from his o/s holiday to sign off on it.

My next and final update will be when/if the tickets are in my hands.

• 1 month later...

Well, here's the update... after two more months have passed, and having endured the endless stalling tactics by BestFlights.com.au, I gave up yesterday and requested a refund.

I have been promised a "full" refund (that hasn't quite happened yet, so I'm loath to go too hard on them till my c-ash is safely in the bank.)

I am now flying economy-deluxe direct, with Eva air for less $ (booked through the Eva website).

It's a sad indictment on BestFlights that they didn't honour the product they sold me, nor their endless assurances that they would.