Cabinet acknowledges procurement of 63 million COVID-19 vaccine doses for Thais

snoop1130

Cabinet acknowledges procurement of 63 million COVID-19 vaccine doses for Thais

8570674f4c7bdd43f2b35bbcc2709cdf_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - A meeting of cabinet ministers has acknowledged the procurement of 63 million COVID-19 vaccine doses for Thai people this year.

The Government Spokesman, Anucha Burapachaisri, has advised the community that the cabinet meeting today acknowledged the procurement of additional doses of COVID-19 vaccine. Thailand is to purchase 2 million doses from Sinovac Biotech, a Chinese biopharmaceutical company. The vaccine for Thai people must be registered with the National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) of China and receive approval from Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) will be in charge of delivering the vaccine doses. The Department of Disease Control is in charge of the vaccine’s procurement and its distribution to the people. The budget to purchase the 2 million doses is 1.228 billion baht, and they will be delivered to Thailand as soon as possible.

The first lot of 200,000 doses will arrive in Thailand next month. The first delivery of vaccine will be given to health workers who are on the front line in high-risk areas of treatment of COVID-19 patients. They include some 20,000 personnel in Samut Sakhon, Rayong and Chonburi provinces and some 180,000 people in high-risk groups and other vulnerable groups. Another lot of 800,000 doses will arrive in March. The first group will then receive their second dose of the vaccine, or 200,000 doses in total. The remaining 600,000 doses will be administered to people in high-risk areas in the western and southern regions, as well as medical personnel and volunteers. In April, Thailand will receive 1 million vaccine doses, and they will be administered to 600,000 people in the second group and 400,000 other workers.

In addition, Thailand will receive 26 million doses from AstraZeneca in mid-2021. Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha, has approved an additional procurement of 35 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine, to protect at least half the total population. As a result, Thailand will dispense 63 million doses of the vaccine in all areas of the population this year.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-01-05

11 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The vaccine for Thai people must be registered with the National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) of China and receive approval from Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

So it sounds that foreigners are left out of vaccinations here in Thailand unless procured from a private source after those facilities are allowed to purchase after the Government does.  Really sucks if someone wants to get vaccinated here in Thailand and has to wait until all the Thai's are vaccinated first.  Hopefully each embassy will work on ensuring their citizens get some kind of access to a vaccine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

and NONE for non thais

Is your government giving away free vaccinations to visiting tourists? What makes you entitled to a free vaccination? I fail to see your point..I'm sure we will be offered the chance to pay for a vaccination.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So it sounds that foreigners are left out of vaccinations here in Thailand unless procured from a private source after those facilities are allowed to purchase after the Government does.  Really sucks if someone wants to get vaccinated here in Thailand and has to wait until all the Thai's are vaccinated first.  Hopefully each embassy will work on ensuring their citizens get some kind of access to a vaccine.

'And has to wait..' Nothing in the report reflects anything you have written. What plans are your government making to give free medical treatment to tourists

• Sad 1

Well, it's Thailand so Thais should be their priority in public healthcare system. But I can't see private hospitals sitting on the side doing nothing. Vibhavadi hospital already started offering vaccination. Surely once paperwork is sorted out, many will. At highly inflated prices, obviously, but certainly they will.

• Like 2

Of course, if everyone around you (within spitting distance, so to speak) has been vaccinated, then your own need to be vaccinated will diminish.

Which is to say that many - though not all - of us falangs will be able to wait patiently, if we don't want to pay through the nose (so to speak) ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Well, it's Thailand so Thais should be their priority in public healthcare system. But I can't see private hospitals sitting on the side doing nothing. Vibhavadi hospital already started offering vaccination. Surely once paperwork is sorted out, many will. At highly inflated prices, obviously, but certainly they will.

Vibhavadis offer was 10.000B for 2 doses of Moderna Vaccin, doubt it'll be cheaper. 

44 minutes ago, Nout said:

Is your government giving away free vaccinations to visiting tourists? What makes you entitled to a free vaccination? I fail to see your point..I'm sure we will be offered the chance to pay for a vaccination.

I pay social security and personal income tax, as well as millions of Baht of tax from my business, surely that entitles me to a free vaccination?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nout said:

I'm sure they will be if the tourist's country has a reciprocal arrangement such as the UK NHS has with Australia's Medicare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nout said:

Who's talking about visiting tourists?Maybe YetAnother meant "non-Thais residing and/or working here". 

Try thinking outside the box for a change.

Edited by djayz
  • Like 2