Samut Sakhon confirms another 900 COVID-19 cases

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Samut-Sakhon-05012021.jpg

Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province has confirmed another 900 new COVID-19 cases, from proactive screening of about 3,800 workers in local factories.

The province’s public health department says they are considering using the factories as quarantine facilities.

Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, permanent secretary at the disease control department, said that the infections across Samut Sakhon and adjacent areas are 71% Myanmar nationals, 24% Thais and 5% other nationals.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/samut-sakhon-confirms-another-900-covid-19-cases/

Logo-top-.png

I think I know my body quite well and in case of flu symptoms that are almost equal to Covid I won't go have a PCR test. Suppose I just have influenza or just a 'cold flu', risking being tested as a Covid victim is to big. Specially now there is a lot of info available that influenza is just counted as Covid and that the flu seems to have disappeared.

Thailand  had influenza and pneumonia casualties of 33,808 last year according to John Hopkins Uni. At least in Thailand flu casualties are not counted as Covid. Maybe Thailand does a good job counting only deaths by Covid alone and not WITH covid.

Now it's winter and flu cases are growing and I wonder if patients going to a hospital or clinic are tested on Covid. Scared patients are easily influenced. What you think?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The other factor is that these new cases are found as a result of active case-finding/proactive testing among migrant workers.

We already know the virus is present and circulating in migrant worker communities in that province. After having screened all the workers at the initial work site they are now fanning out to other sites, factories, etc. And they will likely continue to find cases.

Fortunately migrant workers  tend to live and work in fairly confined spheres.

Of course, Thais at these same locations, and by extension their families, are at risk and some of them will be positive as well.

The key question is to what extent  have infections in that "bridge" population (Thais  in connect with migrant workers) seeded infections  n the broader Thai community.

Gosh Sheryl, how fortunate for them to be living and working in confined spaces !!!! lucky migrant workers them ?, it sure sucks to be a migrant worker in Thailand !!!

confined spaces, covid, barbed wire compounds and now probably instead of very little money extorted by illegal human traffickers, no money either, sign me up for some of that good fortune immediately !!!

6 hours ago, HOAX said:

According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ there are reported 365 new Covid cases in Thailand today. I'm assuming this is in addition to the 900.

So a total of 1,265 cases.

'Today' is midnight to midnight GMT on Worldometers. Anything reported after 1700hrs in Thailand goes onto the next day's figures.

The 'yesterday' figure is 527 and added to 365 makes 892 (nearly 900). Might be a coincidence, or maybe 535 will appear after 1700hrs today, inflating tomorrow's figure. Whichever it is (or any other option) - it's not good.

6 hours ago, HOAX said:

According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ there are reported 365 new Covid cases in Thailand today. I'm assuming this is in addition to the 900.

So a total of 1,265 cases.

The info on the following website has the same number, 365, for new cases for Thailand. https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Samut-Sakhon-05012021.jpg

Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province has confirmed another 900 new COVID-19 cases, from proactive screening of about 3,800 workers in local factories.

The province’s public health department says they are considering using the factories as quarantine facilities.

Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, permanent secretary at the disease control department, said that the infections across Samut Sakhon and adjacent areas are 71% Myanmar nationals, 24% Thais and 5% other nationals.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/samut-sakhon-confirms-another-900-covid-19-cases/

Logo-top-.png

All asymptomatic? 

51 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Is it too much to ask that the government posts COVID case information for each Thai province? I would like to be making informed decisions about my personal welfare, not relying on lockdowns after the horse has already bolted from the stable. Is there a website that posts current province information?

The MOPH's Covid map is pretty good in that you can click on the province and the details of the cases detected appear in a pop-up window.

https://covid19.ddc.moph.go.th/en

When it comes to travel its pretty easy to work out what you can or can't do.

The red zone in Thailand (under maximum control) covers Bangkok and 27 provinces: Tak; Nonthaburi; Pathum Thani; Ayutthaya; Saraburi; Lop Buri; Sing Buri; Angthong; Nakhon Nayok; Kanchanaburi; Nakhon Pathom; Ratchaburi; Suphan Buri; Prachuap Khiri Khan; Phetchaburi; Samut Songkhram; Samut Sakhon; Chachoengsao; Prachin Buri; Sa Kaeo; Samut Prakan; Chanthaburi; Chon Buri; Trat; Rayong; Chumphon and Ranong.

Non-essential travel between red provinces is forbidden as is traveling to/from them.

Then you have the 11 orange ones where there's a wider round of business closures, inter provincial travel bans, work from home is prioritized, close monitoring of high-risk places and activities and possible introduction of curfews. These 9 provinces are: Sokhothai, Khampaeng Pht, Nakhon Sawan, Uthaithani; Chainat; Petchabun; Chaiyaphum; Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram.

Non-essential travel to/from orange provinces is discouraged. Traveling to/from red provinces is forbidden but if it is essential mandatory 14-day quarantine is required in Nakhon Ratchasima and Buriram. Other orange provinces may have also enacted similar restrictions.

The remaining 38 provinces in the amber/yellow category are practicing a higher state of alert. Most have adopted many of the restrictions on 25 types of businesses that the Bangkok Governor enacted there. For example our local barber shop in Udon Thani has shuttered again.

Despite no new cases being reported in Nam and Bueng Khan, sadly there are no longer any green provinces in Thailand.

The overall message as I see it is stay home.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Disillusioned farang said:

Why on earth didn’t they make the tests free like in civilised countries !

remember: it needed time : at least 3 months

here covid comes back since 3 weeks .

We don't have to panic : some cases / province . Let the 5 province manage with PM like thai people always manage with a different mind than us , western brain , and let's see in 1 month !

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

Mr Prayut, this is not something to be proud of. Listen to your experts in the CCSA, for goodness sake. Get your finger out and fix it!

He can not FIX it, only time and good medical expertise can do that, but he better get a move on and put a lot of money in place to treat the infected properly.

Covid is getting out of hand and many will die but many can also be saved with the right political will.

The time is ripe for serious action not lip service.

The Thai population are mostly uneducated to any real standard and have no idea of how a virus works so serious long term sickness otherwise known as Long Covid and thousands dead is a very real prospect.

I genuinely wish you well mr Prime minister but you must act NOW

17 minutes ago, amdy2206 said:

If the main cases are from.migrant workers, why are Thailand still using them?? Get their own people to do the work - but I suppose the work migrants do is beneath the Thai workers. Expect others to do but don't do themselves!! 

How interesting. I once raised this very question with a Mexican bus boy at a Texas barbecue joint in Laredo back in 1986. That was around the time I visited my parents in Scotland when, in an emergency, they could only find a Polish plumber locally. Thankfully, I could speak some of the language.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Disillusioned farang said:

Why on earth didn’t they make the tests free like in civilised countries !! Rather than trying to profit out of this situation , Then maybe they would have had a grip of it earlier ? 
obviously too late now ! 

the tests are free for Thais and migrant workers.  Have been from the start.

• Like 1

Just now, amdy2206 said:

If the main cases are from.migrant workers, why are Thailand still using them?? Get their own people to do the work - but I suppose the work migrants do is beneath the Thai workers. Expect others to do but don't do themselves!! 

That, and the fact that migrant workers get paid a pittance ,so who are the bosses going to employ?. 

I am in and out of the hospital with health problems over the last months, and had close contacts with healthcare workers, they all understood that the government did not want to test, they do not want to know the results.

Now testing immigrants first is a great opportunity to confirm that they were successful keeping the virus out of Thailand and creating a COVID free haven for tourists, now they can blame the immigrants for the upcoming problems, and get the necessary figure in placed by testing immigrants first.

Only on 24 December government announced that Testing is free for Thais  if been exposed to the virus other people who want to get tested without having been exposed to the virus have to pay for the test themselves.

So even with having a few symptoms and cannot prove to be exposed to the virus, who is going to pay between 3500 and 14.000 for a test?

One of the doctors I talked to said very clearly, stock up necessary goods and stay home.

And maybe its time to start praying

don't take any risks, keep people with no or less discipline under control at home, Stay safe and take care your family

May God bless you all

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

funny i distinctly remember the thai government saying they was ready for a 2nd wave but each province is just shutting down, thats not being ready, cuz you could say the whole of europe have been ready for their 2nd and 3rd waves if thats being ready. its like saying we can sort out the awful road accident record we have but then just banning everyone from the roads.  surely they have a better plan than just shutting the country down

4 minutes ago, paulikens said:

funny i distinctly remember the thai government saying they was ready for a 2nd wave but each province is just shutting down, thats not being ready, cuz you could say the whole of europe have been ready for their 2nd and 3rd waves if thats being ready. its like saying we can sort out the awful road accident record we have but then just banning everyone from the roads.  surely they have a better plan than just shutting the country down

More field hospitals to be designated also, and that does not sound like they were prepared as Anutin said.  I think the money earmarked for the preparation was ......well.....erm....pocketed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Free if test result is positive, get charged otherwise 

Incorrect nothing to do with the result, on 24 December government announced that Testing is free if been exposed to the virus,  other people who want to get tested without having been exposed to the virus have to pay for the test themselves.

45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

the tests are free for Thais and migrant workers.  Have been from the start.

They might have always been free for Thais. But we have all heard plenty of stories of people going in for a test out of caution when they have had symptoms being refused a test.