It's almost impossible for anyone to come to Thailand right now ?

Thailand need to do what is best for Thailand, and right now turism is not best for Thailand, Keeping the country relatively safe is best. 

Sure it would be great for everyone if we had some tourists come, but if Thailand and it's weak for the general  population health system got overrun by covid as some countries with much stronger system have, it would be disastrous for Thailand. 

I understand the frustration of all  those stuck away from their homes,  families and friends , I am one of them. Me and the wife have been stuck in the US for close to a Year. But let's look at the big picture, and understand that tourists and expats are only one of many parts of the Thai picture.   

It is not impossible, just very difficult and expensive, so nobody is going to even try unless they have a very good reason to visit Thailand.

In my own case, I am a retiree with wife of 30yrs in Phayao.  I made the mistake of visiting UK last June for business/personal reasons, thinking that Thailand would soon have to ease their restrictions on entry.  I have finally given up waiting for this, and made the application to return as per the CoE rules.

To get my CoE I have had to spend nearly £2000 on ASQ and Insurance, on top of flight costs  Nobody is going to spend his sort of money unless they have a very good reason to do so.  I do not see many back-packers, casual tourists, or even Chinese tourists being willing or able to put up this sort of money.  I suspect that all of the 'high worth' tourists that TAT is dreaming of will be going to places with easier entry requirements.

I now have everything booked for a return to Thailand this month but still depending on a clear Covid test before flying, and no guarantee that Thailand will not close the border because of the new Covid strains.  

Everything I haves pent has a cancellation clause with restrictions an delays, so I am risking money that I cannot afford to lose.

So, it is not impossible to enter Thailand at the present, but far from easy and you have to be part of the small group of people who qualify for a CoE.  I bet there will not be a genuine tourist, (with no previous connection to the country,) entering Thailand before Songkram.

Thanks @Robin I think your post pretty much sums up the current situation. If you look at the current posts from TVF members who have undertaken the necessary steps under the current CoE/reentry scheme you will find one common thread... they all have a compelling reason to return to Thailand such as wives/gf's, families, homes, or businesses.

The casual traveller, even one with plenty of money, realizes that the entry requirements to the kingdom right now, probably are not going to be worth it to someone who's merely looking to get out of his home country and go someplace warm and friendly. For me, I'm committed to Thailand, with a home and loved ones, and I'll do whatever I have to do in order to return. For the average "escapee" or holiday maker, I think the result after some study is going to be "I'll check back later".

On 1/8/2021 at 8:15 AM, Jeffr2 said:

It's hard, but not impossible.  Many have gone through the process and are now here.  It can be done.  If you plan to be here for a long time, it might be worth the effort.

May i ask .

How long , is long time , visa regs ,,  etc ..

On 1/8/2021 at 10:21 AM, Mai mee said:

No way I could get all the testing done back in NM. within the needed 72 hr window, but the rapid testing available in LA makes that part all do-able.

Can you provide any more details of the COVID testing on offer at LAX?  Who it's being done by? How much, etc etc?  (First I've heard of that....)

11 hours ago, elliss said:

May i ask .

How long , is long time , visa regs ,,  etc ..

Depends on the embassy, how well you do the paperwork, how well you followup, etc.  But end to end I would guess 2 months.  Including the quarantine here. It's difficult, but far from impossible.  I think there are some other threads with people describing their experience.

Good luck!!!!

On 1/7/2021 at 9:43 AM, Oldie said:

I don't understand why anybody would like to come to Thailand as TOURIST now. I assume we will see more and more restrictions in the near future. You will pay a lot for very little holiday feeling. And in the worst case you might not be able to fly back. 

Terrible cost to benefit ratio. Fortunately I am not in a hurry to travel anywhere as most countries are in a much worse situation than mine and have more restrictions.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:07 AM, Elkski said:

Don't forget covid test within 72 hours of travel.   And you better fly into your town you want to stay in because there maybe a lockdown.    And I imagine you better not use Airbnb for accommodations.  And is staying with a friend acceptable?

You mean to use AirBnB as accommodation for AFTER the self isolation hotel, right ?
Just wondering why this may not be acceptable?  
Surely, once you have self isolated you are no longer a threat to the country? Why would it matter where you stay after self isolating?   As long as you can provide proof of payment for the rest of the holiday.
Or, am I missing something?

12 hours ago, Robin said:

It is not impossible, just very difficult and expensive, so nobody is going to even try unless they have a very good reason to visit Thailand.

In my own case, I am a retiree with wife of 30yrs in Phayao.  I made the mistake of visiting UK last June for business/personal reasons, thinking that Thailand would soon have to ease their restrictions on entry.  I have finally given up waiting for this, and made the application to return as per the CoE rules.

To get my CoE I have had to spend nearly £2000 on ASQ and Insurance, on top of flight costs  Nobody is going to spend his sort of money unless they have a very good reason to do so.  I do not see many back-packers, casual tourists, or even Chinese tourists being willing or able to put up this sort of money.  I suspect that all of the 'high worth' tourists that TAT is dreaming of will be going to places with easier entry requirements.

I now have everything booked for a return to Thailand this month but still depending on a clear Covid test before flying, and no guarantee that Thailand will not close the border because of the new Covid strains.  

Everything I haves pent has a cancellation clause with restrictions an delays, so I am risking money that I cannot afford to lose.

So, it is not impossible to enter Thailand at the present, but far from easy and you have to be part of the small group of people who qualify for a CoE.  I bet there will not be a genuine tourist, (with no previous connection to the country,) entering Thailand before Songkram.

That is optimistic. I would be positively surprised if they drop the quarantine before the next high season is supposed to begin (around Oct or Nov).

Just now, bluebird729 said:

I wasnt aware that you are allowed to use AirBnB for accomodation???     Have you heard otherwise?

AirBnB would actually be perfect because there isnt a hotel reception to watch your every move.

I am not sure if a booking that can be cancelled is accepted or does it have to fully paid in advance? For my METV application in 2019 I made a refundable booking for the first stay and then cancelled it after receiving my visa.

On 1/8/2021 at 3:12 AM, StevieAus said:

Very difficult to enter have an Aussie friend who has been trying to get back for months, the last figures I saw nearly 40,000 Australia’s stranded overseas

Can only enter if citizen, permanent resident or close relative etc ( unless you are well know sports person etc)

I dont understand why it would be difficulty for people to enter Thailand because I thought that EVERYONE who enters Thailand has to self isolate in a government approved centre/hotel?
So, why would anyone be rejected?   Otherwise what is the point of the mandatory self isolation in special hotels ?

7 minutes ago, rabang said:

I am not sure if a booking that can be cancelled is accepted or does it have to fully paid in advance? For my METV application in 2019 I made a refundable booking for the first stay and then cancelled it after receiving my visa.

Forget about Airbnb it is not allowed for the quarantine. Only qualified ASQ and LSQ hotels are accepted.

Lists can be found here. http://www.hsscovid.com/

On 1/8/2021 at 4:47 AM, sammieuk1 said:

There is money to be made in keeping everything as difficult as possible don't play the game ????

Yes, I understand there is money to be made by the Hotels and clinics, nurses, hospitals, etc.  
But how exactly does the Thai government make money from these difficult rules ?

Please explain 

On 1/8/2021 at 6:41 AM, ChomDo said:

Exactly, I've been thinking the same. Of course if Thailand is where you live, then you have to get back but coming here for travelling purposes right now would be a bad idea. The restrictions on movement are pretty heavy at the moment and you can't even get a beer in a restaurant, so it's not exactly an idea holiday destination right now. 

And as someone mentioned it's not impossible but quite a hassle. I got my STV in November, but the process was definitely kind of frustrating. Also, at the time I was willing to do it, because I thought I'm returning to a covid-free paradise, but the "second wave" hit right at the time I was in ASQ quarantine, so now it's back to semi lockdown. If I were to do it now, I would for sure have to reconsider. 

you said Thailand is in semi lockdown.

What does that mean exactly?

Poeple can still go to supermarkets, beach, walk around, parks, restaurants (sitting at a distance), right?

or is anything different from what I said?

On 1/8/2021 at 9:11 AM, GrandPapillon said:

the difficulty also resides in leaving your home country, you need to justify it at check-in

you can always lie, but they have the right to refuse you for boarding the plane since airlines are following certain government guidelines and have to comply to them

I'm completely open to any ideas on what to tell the 'check-in' staff at Heathrow Airport when bording plane to Thailand.

Please do give some ideas which you think may be useful  ???? 

Thank you

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Forget about Airbnb it is not allowed for the quarantine. Only qualified ASQ and LSQ hotels are accepted.

Lists can be found here. http://www.hsscovid.com/

I'm wondering if you have had any feedback about which hotels are the least strict?

ie: When it comes to visas and land crossings, certain borders are way easier than others.

Has there been any rumors about which ASQ or LSQ is the least strict (so that I dont feel like a prisoner with big brother watching my every move)?
or in which region of Thailand do you think is the easiest/most casual ?

Thank you if you happen to know  ????

10 minutes ago, bluebird729 said:

you said Thailand is in semi lockdown.

What does that mean exactly?

Poeple can still go to supermarkets, beach, walk around, parks, restaurants (sitting at a distance), right?

or is anything different from what I said?

Interprovencial travel is restricted.  Possible, but you have to jump through hoops if you live in one of the hot zones. 

Markets are open, restaurants can't sell alcohol, you can walk around and go to the beach.  So not a total lockdown.  Curfew from 10pm to 4am.

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Interprovencial travel is restricted.  Possible, but you have to jump through hoops if you live in one of the hot zones. 

Markets are open, restaurants can't sell alcohol, you can walk around and go to the beach.  So not a total lockdown.  Curfew from 10pm to 4am.

Curfew where.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:16 AM, Elkski said:

I usually end up staying at one location for 7-10 days and then move. 

SIR, why is it so hard for you to get that those are unusual times?

you still thinking about staying 7-10 days at each location?

dont you think that you might also get infected with all those moves?

if you really come for tourism,. just wait few more months, whats the rush?

Archived