Immigration - Catch 22

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

Indeed, on 1000 Bahts, at the current sky hight rate.

No, it affects the interest on the total amount you agreed to fix for a set period.

The interest is added at the end of the fixed term, not monthly.

Read the terms and conditions.

The point is unlike other Thai banks Bangkok Bank can update your Passbook on the day, so absolutely no need to make a deposit or withdrawal to update the book.

22 hours ago, phetpeter said:

But I still see many who's women drop like lap dogs and doing whatever the officer tells them, causing more stress and concern in the power control, even with the suggestions in Thai to possible 'treats' to move things along.

took the wife three days to admit she may have been wrong, they are brainwashed from first day at school and even by their parents, obey and crawl to any one who might be an official 

the local lolipop man has a uniform with parachute patches that would make special forces blush..that is why they want your wife with you....(might be a bit over with last sentence  but

does pi** me off) but lap dogs is right at times. 

22 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

No, it affects the interest on the total amount you agreed to fix for a set period.

The interest is added at the end of the fixed term, not monthly.

Read the terms and conditions.

The point is unlike other Thai banks Bangkok Bank can update your Passbook on the day, so absolutely no need to make a deposit or withdrawal to update the book.

I have multiple deposits on this accounts: the main 400000 and half a dozen of small amounts due to interest payments and (immigration) 1000 Bahts deposits. 

Maybe you shouldn't comment when you don't have all the relevant info. You might be right though regarding the balance update; when it comes to immigration I tend to err on the side of caution.

1 minute ago, Boomer6969 said:

I have multiple deposits on this accounts: the main 400000 and half a dozen of small amounts due to interest payments and (immigration) 1000 Bahts deposits. 

Maybe you shouldn't comment when you don't have all the relevant info. You might be right though regarding the balance update; when it comes to immigration I tend to err on the side of caution.

I've been using a Bangkok Bank FTD account for Immigration purposes for the previous 7 years.

At the end of the term, the interest is added and the book updated with the new total amount.

You then roll it over for another term.

On the day I apply for my extension I visit my branch and request the letter and update of Passbook (no deposits or withdrawals).

It prints a separate line in the Passbook with the balance as of that day, which matches the letter.

Next time your extension is due, just go in branch and request a Passbook update and letter.

They will both be dated the same day, matching amounts.

You've probably read reports of others who have to make deposits/withdrawals at different Thai banks in order to update their Passbooks, but not so with Bangkok Bank.

I'm with the Ayutthaya bank, never had to deposit anything to update, on visa renewal day I go to the bank in the morning, they update my book and do the balance letter for Imm, and off to Imm I go, no issues whatsoever. 

On 1/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, jackdd said:

They just make this stuff up in an attempt to extort money from you. Just stand your ground. Which immigration office are you using?

We just had somebody who was told the exact opposite of what you were told:

i was told the exact opposite at Udon Thani ...i could not have my retirement visa as

''i had my money in separate accounts'' and they need my money in one account....

cannot be any clearer, but we know who will be punished if all this came out...

TIT as they say....They have to prove that they can do as they feel like.

35 minutes ago, zoza said:

i was told the exact opposite at Udon Thani ...i could not have my retirement visa as

''i had my money in separate accounts'' and they need my money in one account....

cannot be any clearer, but we know who will be punished if all this came out...

TIT as they say....They have to prove that they can do as they feel like.

Are your separate accounts with the same bank? 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Are your separate accounts with the same bank? 

no i changed my ''income'' account to Bangkok Bank as they have the required ''FTT'' 

where Kasikorn have ''Dummy Brach'' just trying to make things more obvious for the 

Immigration officers, compared to Jomtien. Udon Thani is like a different country.

i also had a printout from Transferwise of 12 monthly payments from GBP=Thai B

coming from UK Bank. my paperwork was spot on, i now think the wife might of given

the IM O some encouragement. with all this CO-VID and travel restrictions she was

worried and i think took the bait.

On 1/7/2021 at 11:49 AM, zoza said:

i changed my transfer receiving bank to Bangkok Bank

so if i use the 800K method, and want to change from one bank to the other, will the IO want

to see again international transfers going into the new account? or will they be happy with just

seeing 800K on the new bank account?

22 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

so if i use the 800K method, and want to change from one bank to the other, will the IO want

to see again international transfers going into the new account? or will they be happy with just

seeing 800K on the new bank account?

If your using the 800K method, there is no need to provide transfer information.

It's either 800K funds deposited, OR, monthly transfers, not both.

If you change banks, open the new account first, then transfer the funds from one bank to the other bank.

That way the funds have continually remained in a Thai bank account.

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Updates to the last transaction, not the current date, which is why folks are making a transaction on the day.

It is possible to update the book to the current date, but very few staff know how to do this.

Nope, it updates to show the current balance on the day I do the update. I've done it for both my 1 year extensions without issue and without depositing any money.

3 hours ago, Myran said:

Nope, it updates to show the current balance on the day I do the update. I've done it for both my 1 year extensions without issue and without depositing any money.

Savings account?

FTD account?

In branch?

At ATM?

Which branch (city)?

23 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Indeed, on 1000 Bahts, at the current sky hight rate.

Is that how it actually works.....? I was of the impression that if the FD account was say 500,000 baht for 12 month, it had to remain untouched for that period. ie, to remove 1000 baht prior to maturity, say after 11 months, lost all interest and the 12 month period restarted. Is that not the case?...  I have always left it alone for that reason, but have managed to pull the interest out soon after maturity, without apparent effect. (I assumed the original 500,000 and the interest were separated somehow).

Yes, but one account can be composed of multiple deposits. For instance, I opened my account with 10000 Bahts in cash. And later transferred the 400000 from Switzerland. These two deposits have separate maturity dates.

Later deposits multiplied as I deposited 1000 Bahts before getting the immigration letters, the bank rolled over the deposits but not the interests, etc.

All in all, with the current interest rates I am not sure if this is worth the effort..

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Is that how it actually works.....? I was of the impression that if the FD account was say 500,000 baht for 12 month, it had to remain untouched for that period. ie, to remove 1000 baht prior to maturity, say after 11 months, lost all interest and the 12 month period restarted. Is that not the case?...  I have always left it alone for that reason, but have managed to pull the interest out soon after maturity, without apparent effect. (I assumed the original 500,000 and the interest were separated somehow).

If you withdraw any funds within 3 months of the start of the term, you receive 0% on the remainder.

(0.5% on a 12 month FD).

If you withdraw any funds after 3 months but before it matures, the remainder will only receive the same interest rate as a Savings account. (0.25%)

• If you withdraw your money prior to three months, you will get no interest on your deposit. If you withdraw it after that period, and before it matures, you will get the same interest rate as a savings account.

Fixed Deposit Account (bangkokbank.com)

When a FD matures, the bank will add the interest and roll it over for another period at your request.

At this point you can withdraw the interest without penalty, or roll the new total over.

If you do nothing, the account reverts to the same interest rate as a Savings account (0.25%)

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

f you withdraw any funds within 3 months of the start of the term, you receive 0% on the remainder.

(0.5% on a 12 month FD).

If you withdraw any funds after 3 months but before it matures, the remainder will only receive the same interest rate as a Savings account. (0.25%)

To reiterate.....

'You just lost a chunk of interest'  sounds accurate and 

'Indeed, on 1000 Bahts, at the current sky hight rate.' is not the reality....

16 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Savings account?

FTD account?

In branch?

At ATM?

Which branch (city)?

Savings account

Hua Hin

First year in machine

Second year in branch – he did it without asking when I came for the bank letter and it took about five seconds, so it didn't seem very complicated.

7 minutes ago, Myran said:

Savings account

Hua Hin

First year in machine

Unusual, indeed my experience and those of others with Kasikorn is if you try to update the book in an ATM, it will only update to the date of the last transaction. It will not just bring the balance forward to the current date for Immigration purposes.

11 minutes ago, Myran said:

Second year in branch – he did it without asking when I came for the bank letter and it took about five seconds, so it didn't seem very complicated.

Yes, some branches can update to the current date whilst others cannot.

This appears to be down to clerk knowing how to do it.

A friend with Kasikorn advises me in SiSaKhet they have an ATM which automatically turns the pages to include all entries, which is a first as usually the ATM's will only print to the bottom of the page and could therefore exclude some transactions.

Of course you can always insert the book on a new blank page if that were the case.

If your near the bottom of a page and have a number of transactions requiring updating, this can normally only be done in branch where the teller can manually update and flip to a new page.

23 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That way the funds have continually remained in a Thai bank account.

are yuo sure about it? or do you just think so?

because in thailand what counts is not what makes sense, but what the

immigration rule are.

they might have a new rule that says: since you transfered the money from another account

yuo need to blah blah blah

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

are yuo sure about it? or do you just think so?

I know so because that's exactly what I did, transferred from one bank to another.

Two different bank books two different banks for extension renewal, one detailing the transfer, the other detailing the transferred deposit and at all times in a Thai bank account.

Had I withdrawn cash, then deposited that in the other bank account, that could have been seen as not maintaining the required funds for the whole period. Even for the 15 minutes or so it would have taken to travel from one bank to the other, those funds would have been in my hand, not in a Thai bank account.

Why present a reason for refusal, play safe and keep it in a Thai bank account as Immigration request.

Archived