Travelling away from Bangkok - possible?

Matt199

Hi guys,

Is it possible to leave Bangkok right now? I'm getting confused with the restrictions now. I wanted to buy ticket to chiang mai just now, and they introduced 14 day quarantine; it's same for Phuket. I really just want to leave the city for a week or so. Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!

I took the train from Bang Su to Hua Hin, yesterday.  Train was about 15% full.  Railway police checked my passport around Ratchaburi.  I scanned the QR code leaving the HH train station.. no one said a word.  Everything is kind of roped off at the station.  People were smoking cigs on the train.. I thought that was almost funny.  

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 6:35 AM, tonray said:

The whole point of travel restrictions

Unless things have changed this morning, the "authorities" are discouraging non-essential travel.

"The CCSA has urged people to refrain from or delay making inter-provincial trips."

So no "restrictions" and plenty of wiggle room. I think "they" want it that way for a reason?

• Like 1

I was on a plane from Bangkok to Phuket yesterday night.

The rules state that you should register online on gophuket.com before boarding, confirm your quarantine place and personal data on the same site, download Mor Chana application, always wear mask and follow strict distancing, quarantine for 14 days once in Phuket,.

The reality was really different : at departure no one at the airport informed us about the new rules, no advice of any kind, ground staff was not aware of anything.

Social distancing was respected while boarding. After arriving in Phuket everything started to go in a very different way : we disembarked from the plane with no distance at all and the ground staff used a single overcrowded bus to get us inside the terminal (about 25 people in a small bus).

At the terminal after a very quick temperature check (no swab available at all and no one asking if we visited any high risk zones) and a lot of AOT employees helping to register on Mor Chana app,

Most of the passangers just skipped the line and ignored the registration..

Before the registration zone the latest Phuket Governor order annuncing quarantine and other rules was clearly visible (in Thai only).

I asked why they do not scan the QR code generated by gophuket.com website and and AOT emplotee replied that the system is still not working and Mor Chana is enough. Asked how should I register my quarantine address since gophuket.com is not working they had no idea, just told me : go ask at Ob Or Tor (would it not be breaking quarantine rules?). I told them I had already downloaded Mor Chana app and they let me go without even checking my QR code.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, andbod said:

I was on a plane from Bangkok to Phuket yesterday night.

The rules state that you should register online on gophuket.com before boarding, confirm your quarantine place and personal data on the same site, download Mor Chana application, always wear mask and follow strict distancing, quarantine for 14 days once in Phuket,.

The reality was really different : at departure no one at the airport informed us about the new rules, no advice of any kind, ground staff was not aware of anything.

Social distancing was respected while boarding. After arriving in Phuket everything started to go in a very different way : we disembarked from the plane with no distance at all and the ground staff used a single overcrowded bus to get us inside the terminal (about 25 people in a small bus).

At the terminal after a very quick temperature check (no swab available at all and no one asking if we visited any high risk zones) and a lot of AOT employees helping to register on Mor Chana app,

Most of the passangers just skipped the line and ignored the registration..

Before the registration zone the latest Phuket Governor order annuncing quarantine and other rules was clearly visible (in Thai only).

I asked why they do not scan the QR code generated by gophuket.com website and and AOT emplotee replied that the system is still not working and Mor Chana is enough. Asked how should I register my quarantine address since gophuket.com is not working they had no idea, just told me : go ask at Ob Or Tor (would it not be breaking quarantine rules?). I told them I had already downloaded Mor Chana app and they let me go without even checking my QR code.

Brilliant ! Why am I not surprised about your experience. The whole thing is complete BS, a lie.

I really would like to hear from anyone who experienced the slightest inconvenience in entering Phuket, I expect nobody will.

4 hours ago, taxin said:

Brilliant ! Why am I not surprised about your experience. The whole thing is complete BS, a lie.

I really would like to hear from anyone who experienced the slightest inconvenience in entering Phuket, I expect nobody will.

Many had problems last time there was a checkpoint in place.  With many being stuck either on or off the island.  So, no BS.  No lie.  And yes, a huge inconvenience.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/mass-exodus-as-40000-people-leave-phuket-this-morning

Mass exodus as 40,000 people departing Phuket

With the island so dependent on tourism many Thais, who had come to Phuket for work in the tourist and hospitality industry, were either trapped on the island when the land, sea and air bridges were closed, or have realised that Phuket’s economy is going to be flat until the tourists start to return.

On 1/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, smutcakes said:

I drove to Rayong, Chonburi and Samut Sakhon last week and was not stopped at a road check point once. If you are in a private car you can still get away. I am actually going to Saraburi tomorrow, so i will let you know about Ayuthaya.

On what day last week? Only the Travel Restrictions announcement from the PM only came out on Wednesday afternoon/evening.

I came back from Koh Samed on the Wednesday morning & the expressway, in both directions, was the quietest I'd ever seen it.

14 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

On what day last week? Only the Travel Restrictions announcement from the PM only came out on Wednesday afternoon/evening.

I came back from Koh Samed on the Wednesday morning & the expressway, in both directions, was the quietest I'd ever seen it.

6th and 8th respectively. Was in Saraburi and Ayutthaya on Monday this week and also no stops or issues (Not that i would expect any at the moment in those locations)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Maybe the reason roads are quiet is because some/a lot of people have decided not to travel all over the place spreading or risking catching the virus. Let's work out who being sensible.

Yeah, the roads around Pattaya are very quiet.  Hardly any traffic at all.  Even over the weekend.  We love it!

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Many had problems last time there was a checkpoint in place.  With many being stuck either on or off the island.  So, no BS.  No lie.  And yes, a huge inconvenience.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/mass-exodus-as-40000-people-leave-phuket-this-morning

That was last time, we are talking about now. andbod has just shared his experience with us and made it very clear, no swab test, no quarantine, no questions asked, only a quick temperature check.

This is enough proof for me that entering Phuket is about as difficult as visiting your local shopping mall.

22 minutes ago, taxin said:

That was last time, we are talking about now. andbod has just shared his experience with us and made it very clear, no swab test, no quarantine, no questions asked, only a quick temperature check.

This is enough proof for me that entering Phuket is about as difficult as visiting your local shopping mall.

That's what these people thought last time and were stuck either off or on the island.  No reason to think it 'couldn't' be the same now, especially as we're having way more infections than earlier in the year.

As they say, all's well...until it isn't.  Not to mention they are asking people to NOT travel to help control the spread.  Kinda hard to argue with them.  Though some do.

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

That's what these people thought last time and were stuck either off or on the island.  No reason to think it 'could' be the same now, especially as we're having way more infections than earlier in the year.

As they say, all's well...until it isn't.  Not to mention they are asking people to NOT travel to help control the spread.  Kinda hard to argue with them.  Though some do.

The OP’s initial query was in relation to any such difficulties in leaving Bangkok and heading to Phuket, he was not asking about the possibility of being stuck there, this is a separate risk and I’m pretty sure anyone with a memory will be aware of this.

So in answer to the OP’s question, currently there is no problem leaving Bangkok and entering Phuket, no paperwork required, no quarantine, no Covid tests required prior to or on arrival.

Those who are considering a shorter road trip south to Hua Hin I can also confirm there are no requirements, no paperwork required, no checkpoints. This can also be said for travel in the opposite direction, no problems leaving Hua Hin and entering Bangkok.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Maybe the reason roads are quiet is because some/a lot of people have decided not to travel all over the place spreading or risking catching the virus. Let's work out who being sensible.

Agreed but I was heading home to Bangkok before the travel restrictions had been announced (To my knowledge there have been zero cases in Koh Samed/Ban Phe so at worse I'd be driving through areas with Covid cases so no chance of catching/spreading it) but I had already made tentative arrangements to stay on Koh Samed if travel restrictions were put in place before I left.

Ironically when I got home, I stuck the bags in the room & went straight back out get some groceries from Tesco Lotus, when I got back I messaged my mate to let him know I was back & the 1st thing he said was "Don't go to Tesco Lotus as there was a Covid case there yesterday"!  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Covid test will be required to board a plane for the US from 26 January on, even for US citizens.. Likely would have to show at BKK, if on us itenerary. 

Same with the UK, though Thailand is on a list of "Safe" countries that you don't need to self quarantine for 2 weeks when arriving from so I don't know if there are exceptions around the CV19 tests or not....

Pretty sure it will be a blanket thing so will need a negative CV19 test < 72 hours before departure. 

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Same with the UK, though Thailand is on a list of "Safe" countries that you don't need to self quarantine for 2 weeks when arriving from so I don't know if there are exceptions around the CV19 tests or not....

Pretty sure it will be a blanket thing so will need a negative CV19 test < 72 hours before departure. 

Yes, fortunately they are getting cheaper as time passes.. Saw a place in CM doing a 40 minute turnaround for 1395+200 for documentation.  The simpler tests will suffice. 

• Like 1

I would like to add some more informations : today the local health center contacted me and my wife and they will come to check our general health and if we respect the quaranteen rules.

They got the travel details from gophuket.com website, where I had registered before leaving from Bangkok. I don't think they are cross checking with passengers list.