UK units of measurement after Brexit

20 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Now that the UK has left the EU, will the country revert to the old units of measurement,

mile/yard/inch, hundredweight/pound/ounce,

gallon/pint/fluid ounce,

pound/shilling/penny, 

writing paper 8.5x11 inches (letter size), 

etc?

No, metrication is a separate issue to the EU. Brought in under Harold Wilson I believe.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Now that the UK has left the EU, will the country revert to the old units of measurement,

mile/yard/inch, hundredweight/pound/ounce,

gallon/pint/fluid ounce,

pound/shilling/penny, 

writing paper 8.5x11 inches (letter size), 

etc?

I bloody hope not!!!????

To be fair, we do still use miles as a distance measure (and speed limits) which to my mind is daft. All decimal would be the way to go regardless of EU membership.

I recall at school having to learn Pounds, Shilling and Pence - even HALF pence!

I relished the day when we went decimal.

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, VBF said:

I bloody hope not!!!????

To be fair, we do still use miles as a distance measure (and speed limits) which to my mind is daft. All decimal would be the way to go regardless of EU membership.

I recall at school having to learn Pounds, Shilling and Pence - even HALF pence!

I have a  few  farthings  layin  about still ! lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:
12 minutes ago, VBF said:

I bloody hope not!!!????

I remember that confusing anomaly of buying fuel in liters and measuring consumption in mile per gallon!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I remember that confusing anomaly of buying fuel in liters and measuring consumption in mile per gallon!

Such  has  become the  contamination ! You say liters and I say  litres ! And  my autoprompt   sheite spellcheck  dares suggest I am  wrong !  lmfao !

But I do admit I  can  envisage an acre in area  but a hectare does me  nothing !

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I have a  few  farthings  layin  about still ! lol

Well if I'm an old fart, does that make you older, or fartier? ????

Now when I was a lad.......

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

No, metrication is a separate issue to the EU. Brought in under Harold Wilson I believe.

Now that I looked it up I see that metrication started in 1965, years before the UK joined the European Community (EC), the precursor of the EU.

However, I noticed nothing of metrication by the time I moved to the Far East in May 1967.

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

As preparation for the Europeanisation of Great Britain. It was forced on the people with threats of arrest and imprisonment.

47 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I realize now how I got the chronology wrong. 

It was in the 1970s, after the UK joined the EU, that I read about the hard-fought exceptions the UK won to keep miles on traffic signs and on the speedometers of vehicles and the right to continue serving draft beer by the pint.

Selling draft beer by he pint was and presumably continues to be actually a legal requirement and some years ago I read about a bar in London being fined because its Austrian landlord thought it was a clever idea to dispense lager imported from the Continent in glasses calibrated in decilitres.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

I'm all for Great Britain getting back to traditional values, but unfortunately the old Pounds Shillings and Pence and Yards, Feet and Inches would not work in the modern digital age  :guitar:

I remember how we were adding up long lists of amounts in £/s/d in math classes. Now, that was fun! Not quite as bad as manually adding up modern-day hexadecimal numbers would be if computers were not doing it.