Nearly 6,000 Covid-19 cases in less than a month

webfact

Nearly 6,000 Covid-19 cases in less than a month

By The Nation

800_787e3666bb0a18a.jpg?v=1610272837

More than 5,800 people have tested positive for Covid-19 after the latest outbreak.

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesperson of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, revealed that from December 15 to January 10, 5,866 cases had been found, with most cases in Samut Sakhon, Chonburi, Rayong, Bangkok and Samut Prakan provinces.

The data corresponds with the report of the Department of Disease Control (DDC) on Saturday that seven people had died and 2,308 were being treated in hospitals with six of them needing respirators, and 1,849 were being treated in field hospitals. About 1,500 patients have recovered and been discharged.

"The number of deaths in the new outbreak is less than 1 per cent, which is considerably lower than in the first wave. Among countries in the region, Thailand's mortality rate is similar to that of Singapore," DDC director-general Dr Opas Karnkawinpong said yesterday.

This outbreak also marks the first time in Thailand where the recovered patients were more than new cases because most patients have relatively few symptoms, especially in the case of the central shrimp market in Samut Sakhon.

There are 20 provinces with cumulative cases of 1-10 people, 10 provinces with 11-50 patients, 10 provinces with more than 50, and 19 provinces with no cases in the past seven days; and 19 provinces had no previous cases.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401009

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-11

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Well, I can say that there are an awful lot of my thai friends currently looking after older family members with breathing difficulties.

Well I suppose it could be the horrendous 2.5 PM smog currently inundating the country but until they actually start testing it's anyone's guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, pizzachang said:

"Less than 1% reported deaths, but the article does not mention the physical condition and age of the victims. I suspect this follows the previous pattern.   

Basically the same risk group dying be from flu complications every year. Both my parents have had their flu vaccinations as they are in the high risk age bracket plus my father has other contributory factors. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Does any one know of some who has covid, in hospital or passed away, in Thailand, I have not, in the expat community in Jomtien anyway. I was talking to a friend in Burnley UK, where they said on the BBC (I know), there was a spike in admission to hospitals, that he did not know of anyone, family, friends of friends etc... Just thinking:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Well, I can say that there are an awful lot of my thai friends currently looking after older family members with breathing difficulties.

Do you mean COVID-19 cases? Or just old age breathing difficulties? Lots of old people, even in my family have some from of breathing difficulties. Particularly in rural areas where a working life can stress one's health.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pizzachang said:

"Asymptomatic" - I've read quite a few articles that say this has been disproven. Not just odd bits of internet claims, but actual studies confirming (again) that viruses are passed by sneezing, coughing and contaminated surfaces, recently touched by the carrier.  Less than 1% reported deaths, but the article does not mention the physical condition and age of the victims. I suspect this follows the previous pattern.   

What has any of this got to do with symptoms? 

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

As many have said, a lack of symptoms more Asymptomatic, but still capable of transmitting or to use the correct term Shedding the virus.  Glad the SSO now has funded further testing of employees to see how widespread the issue truly is.  As you can see from the article not many are dying or becoming severely ill, so as I have mentioned before testing is the way to get a true grasp on the issue.

Many hear continually claim of an unchecked and unseen COVID-19 epidemic in Thailand. The only evidence being there is no evidence, and, ghost stories of great numbers of asymptomatic cases, the walking covid. In truth, there are four symptomatic cases, some severe, for each true asymptomatic case. Where are they? Untreated and unconfined they would spread the disease worse than Wuhan. And no one noticed?

Now, there is an outbreak and testing needs to be and is being accelerated.  Even so, this testing still needs to be focused according to good medical practices.

I'll again remind that Thailand found and isolated the first COVID case outside of China. They proved the case by testing before any COVID tested existed. They did it using their great DNA sequencing machines to sequence the entire genome. Auntin does not know this stuff.

• Thanks 1

Double the number of cases in a month?  That's a big deal.  And as we know, they don't do great testing here, so the numbers are actually much higher.

Best of luck we get this under control before we end up looking like the UK or the US.  That would be horrible...

12 minutes ago, rabas said:

Many hear continually claim of an unchecked and unseen COVID-19 epidemic in Thailand. The only evidence being there is no evidence, and, ghost stories of great numbers of asymptomatic cases, the walking covid. In truth, there are four symptomatic cases, some severe, for each true asymptomatic case. Where are they? Untreated and unconfined they would spread the disease worse than Wuhan. And no one noticed?

Now, there is an outbreak and testing needs to be and is being accelerated.  Even so, this testing still needs to be focused according to good medical practices.

I'll again remind that Thailand found and isolated the first COVID case outside of China. They proved the case by testing before any COVID tested existed. They did it using their great DNA sequencing machines to sequence the entire genome. Auntin does not know this stuff.

80 Percent of People in This Age Group Are Asymptomatic (msn.com)

COVID-19 study shows 75 percent of infectious people were asymptomatic (fox8live.com)

COVID-19: What proportion are asymptomatic? - The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (cebm.net)

More than 80% of people with coronavirus had no symptoms: UK study (cnbc.com)

Go on and tell us all how that without testing and checking people randomly you would find the true numbers.  That is all many of us are asking.  Many different studies out there, and in the MSM

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, PGSan said:

I wondered, and found that it would be very low.   OK?

1 hour ago, PGSan said:

I wondered, and found that it would be very low.   OK?

The Thai way is dont test too many and you wont have big problem with covid.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lujanit said:

You have to wonder what number would be found to be infected if the 'government' did wide spread and consistent daily testing.

Maybe but these 5800 new cases since 15 Dec are consistent with R0 2.48 * and high infection/transmission period of 3 to 4 days after infected. ** There were 9 new cases on Dec15 . So with R0 2.48 and 26 days/3.65 days infection period. Then 7.123 infection periods. So 2.48^7.123 = 645. Then 645 times the 15 Dec 9 index cases = 5806 

* The reproductive index from SEIR model of covid 19 epidemic in ASEAN

(Thai authors)  **https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus

• Like 1