Restrictions could be eased in Bangkok within the next two weeks

webfact

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Thank you. Ever since living here, i have had nothing but great experiences & I have always found the Thai's to be  extremely accommodating, friendly, generous,  and considerate towards other people. 

Which village do you support?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

13 years & in that time i have lived in 7 different locations, including the south, the north, the north east, Bangkok, and central Thailand. 

I was always led to believe 13 was an unlucky number.????

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, eastendanto said:
3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Ok, thanks for confirming that.

Let me know when PM tells you exact date - cheers.

PM busy singing "fly me to the moon" ????????????

I think the lyrics are "fly me to the bank????

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

It is a matter of perspective and attitude as how one thinks of Thailand.

I am now in my 19th consecutive year of actually living here. With different experiences in many areas of Thailand I conclude that I am very much happy here.

Those matters including Government, driving my car and riding my bike, corona virus, the Thai people and many other aspects of Thai living are well within my tolerance levels and acceptance.

I do not court problems and trouble so I get very little of it.

I agree to that.Anyway as long u agree to anything and dont want to charge them with a opposit meaning.

I been living there for many years too.I speak thai..laos and kamer.I lived in Surin before with many different experiences.Thais think wery different then we do,and thats a fact.My exwife moved to norway 12 year ago.She still have the opposit thinking then we do.Her thai friends here agree echother,and dont want to start thinking the way we do.Doesnt mean all thais though.They expect foreigners to live and like they do when we live in thailand,but they dont want to do it themselfs when they move to another culture/country.Thats my opinion.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm pretty sure lesson one in the FUNDAMENTALS book is testing in mass, and they threw the fundamentals book out after skimming the prelude chapter  !

I'd agree that mass testing is a good idea - IF the test is a very reliable one, which PCR is not, as the WHO noted in December.

"The design principle of RT-PCR means that for patients with high levels of circulating virus (viral load), relatively few cycles will be needed to detect virus and so the Ct value will be low. Conversely, when specimens return a high Ct value, it means that many cycles were required to detect virus. In some circumstances, the distinction between background noise and actual presence of the target virus is difficult to ascertain." (my bold).

https://www.who.int/news/item/14-12-2020-who-information-notice-for-ivd-users

With a test that throws up false positives at a non-zero, but essentially unknown rate, it is impossible to sensibly track the progress of infections.

At best, testing exaggerates the number of cases, and at worst could lead to a pseudo-pandemic where large swathes of healthy people are banged up for no reason, while many infected but asymptomatic people roam around, having not got around to being tested.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, bimmerbob said:

Do you really have such a low attitude towards the USA & UK?

So you wouldn't  want the Covid Vaccines from these countries to get you out of the pandemic which being relied upon by Thailand especially the Oxford Vaccine to be manufactured in Thailand on a without profit basis.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

There were 31 cases reported in Bangkok in today's numbers, for example, compared with a mere 20 in Chonburi.

And what are the relative populations of these two areas?   I estimate the ratio to be far higher than the 3:2 for cases.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PGSan said:

And what are the relative populations of these two areas?   I estimate the ratio to be far higher than the 3:2 for cases.

Bangkok's population is about seven times as high as that of Chonburi (10.5M vs 1.5M). So yes, Bangkok's infection rate is much lower on a per capita basis.

2 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Bangkok's population is about seven times as high as that of Chonburi (10.5M vs 1.5M). So yes, Bangkok's infection rate is much lower on a per capita basis.

Is that 10.5m for Bangkok alone, or the whole conurbation? 

Please reopen the Sukhumvit pubs. I'm missing my beer, cocktails, nachos, lovely hostesses, and inebriated farang entertainment.

The "food only, no alcohol" thing has meant that the ones I tried last week were simply shut. As good as the food is, they know that's not why we go.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Assuming that's true then Thailand had been deliberately not reporting false positives for months

I think it would be fairer to say that they are simply not considering the false positive problem - and in that, they are joined by a great many other countries.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Please reopen the Sukhumvit pubs. I'm missing my beer, cocktails, nachos, lovely hostesses, and inebriated farang entertainment.

The "food only, no alcohol" thing has meant that the ones I tried last week were simply shut. As good as the food is, they know that's not why we go.

I now have an arrangement with 2 local bars to provide entry with drinks and a nominated lady at my request. Happy days, Phoenix nights.

5 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

It's honestly so  heartwarming for me to know that i'm living in a country that understands the basic fundamentals on how to successfully control the spread of this virus. 
And most of all, thank you so much to the Thai people who really put huge effort into social distancing, mask wearing, and providing hand sanitizer in all of he stores & shopping malls. It really goes to show that Thailand  has a real community spirit, where everyone gets together and contributes by helping out each other.  

Yes and YAY for Thai folks who are wonderful, 99% and that's 90% more than most countries ...............

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Yet another that doesn't yet realise that there is a pandemic and, if anything, is getting more dangerous and easier to contract. Yet another that doesn't yet appreciate that the world has now changed and many aspects of our previous way of life might have to change, either for safety reasons or because the businesses we like to use may no longer be there in the future. That's just the way it is and it can't be wished away because we miss having a beer at a bar rather than at home.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. I've seen that two supermarket chains in the UK are only now requiring customers to wear face masks when they enter the store, something Thailand did nine or10 months ago. We have a paradox here. Thai people often routinely ignore rules and laws, yet with Covid the vast majority have complied. My wife says it's because the people are afraid of the virus, not only for themselves but they are afraid to spread it. For example, at New Year a niece didn't return to our village for that reason.

Yes, it's absolutely shocking that they have only just implement such a rule. I honestly thought that they enforced mask wearing r ages ago. And they wonder why the virus is spreading so fast.. sad really, especially when there is scientific backing that masks can help. 

The west should have looked at how  low the covid numbers were in asia months ago and copy the same strategy. by doing so it' wouldn't be in the mess it is now. Unfortunately I think it's a little to late and their going to juts have to learn the hard way instead of trying to guess what's best. 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm pretty sure lesson one in the FUNDAMENTALS book is testing in mass, and they threw the fundamentals book out after skimming the prelude chapter  

And you are wrong. Tracing and targeted testing is how most of the successful countries have done it. A doctor friend in New Zealand said to me two weeks back that the medical community there regards Thailand’s response as well executed and successful.  Maybe you have a medical degree and some other data? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

It's honestly so  heartwarming for me to know that i'm living in a country that understands the basic fundamentals on how to successfully control the spread of this virus. 
And most of all, thank you so much to the Thai people who really put huge effort into social distancing, mask wearing, and providing hand sanitizer in all of he stores & shopping malls. It really goes to show that Thailand  has a real community spirit, where everyone gets together and contributes by helping out each other.  

You can believe what you want to believe, of course. You can believe everything the Thai  Government publishes with reference to Covid19 , cases, people in quarantine, people tested and deaths etc. However their track record on the 'truth' isn't good!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yet another that doesn't yet appreciate that the world has now changed and many aspects of our previous way of life might have to change, either for safety reasons or because the businesses we like to use may no longer be there in the future. That's just the way it is and it can't be wished away because we miss having a beer at a bar rather than at home.

Yes exactly, we have to sometimes move with the times and learn to adapt. Those that are able to do so are the ones that are more likely to be able to "survive" as so to speak. If you look through  human civilization, there has always been periods where there have been major shifts in the way we live. 

Edited by Kaopad999

12 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

You can believe what you want to believe, of course. You can believe everything the Thai  Government publishes with reference to Covid19 , cases, people in quarantine, people tested and deaths etc. However their track record on the 'truth' isn't good!!

I think the major factor for the low numbers across many Asian countries has been due to closing down their borders, followed by mask wearing, & social distancing. Meanwhile countries such as the UK have only just required people to pass a Covid test in order for them to enter, which is absolute madness after all of this time! 

Edited by Kaopad999

5 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Thank you. Ever since living here, i have had nothing but great experiences & I have always found the Thai's to be  extremely accommodating, friendly, generous,  and considerate towards other people. 

Couldn't agree more. 

• Like 2