Is Tops supermarket getting worse?

Irrumator

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

From my online experience Tops has rather good stock control (many times better than Tesco - at least for knowing what is in stock) but sale items are often out of stock with both while sales are still running (and naturally there are no rain checks here).

I am talking about actually in store, not online. 

I have been meaning to try online tbh, so good to read they are better at that than with actual face to face paying customers.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:20 PM, ukrules said:

Supply chains have been collapsing since last summer, trade in the stores will be massively reduced and in fact the retail industry is collapsing in on itself.

Perhaps what you're seeing is a part of that, I expect mass retail closures this year, not all of them will make it or consider it worth spending the money to carry on.

That there are less staff available is a tiny visible part of what's going on.

If you look behind the first row of those seemingly full shelves you will often find nothing there - they're running on empty in a lot of places.

True but not at all relevant to the problems described by the OP.

Tops has always been my least favourite supermarket. Huge amount of stock (although not the cheapest) with numerous staff running around and manning counters, but when it comes to paying at the checkout only a couple operating and long queues.

It is only the installation of the self service checkout machines that persuaded me to go back for the occasional purchase.

Foodland is sooooooo much better!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Tops has always been my least favourite supermarket. Huge amount of stock (although not the cheapest) with numerous staff running around and manning counters, but when it comes to paying at the checkout only a couple operating and long queues.

It is only the installation of the self service checkout machines that persuaded me to go back for the occasional purchase.

Foodland is sooooooo much better!

Yes .. crazy place . With security women at various places with shoulder walkie- talkies in store.. counters begging you to buy their over priced products and then queue up for 10 minutes at checkout ! Management of morons 

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Yes .. crazy place . With security women at various places with shoulder walkie- talkies in store.. counters begging you to buy their over priced products and then queue up for 10 minutes at checkout ! Management of morons 

10 mins would seem to be a bit of an exaggeration but waiting in queues is reminiscent of supermarkets in London, in fact most everywhere if one shops at the wrong time.

Edited by userabcd