Scottish nationalists set for record majority, boosting independence push

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, transam said:

So why were the UK paying way more cash into the EU ....

Why does the world still listen to the UK..?

You are quoting initial Brexit hiccups which I suspect will be resolved. 

Trans, it seems to be the norm for Scottish Nationalists to question why the rest of the UK should have the gall to question the intended destruction the SNP intends to our United Kingdom. It is nothing more than arrogance by the SNP to basically say, 'we are going to ruin the UK and how dare you be concerned and question us,' these people deserve all the contempt that is given to them. 

• Like 1

Just now, vogie said:

Trans, it seems to be the norm for Scottish Nationalists to question why the rest of the UK should have the gall to question the intended destruction the SNP intends to our United Kingdom. It is nothing more than arrogance by the SNP to basically say, 'we are going to ruin the UK and how dare you be concerned and question us,' these people deserve all the contempt that is given to them. 

555  So the UK needs Scotland more than Scotland needs the UK! 

Have heard some of the wilder SNP supporters make this claim but it is the first time I have heard it from a Unionist!

PH

• Like 1

3 hours ago, katatonic said:

As with Brexit, no-one seems to have considered the ramifications for all the Scots and English living on the 'wrong' side of the border that will, in the event of a split, need visas and probable restrictions in length of their annual visits, to their homes. Not to mention work permits.

Of course it has been considered, but of course you cannot trust Westminster to stick by what it said in 2012.

Independence will recognise the distinct political identities of Scotland and the rest of the UK, and allow us to work together in a more democratic environment with a renewed partnership as close allies and friends. Scotland's future relationship with the UK will be as rich and close as the UK's relationship with Ireland, which was described by the British and Irish governments in 2012 in these terms:

The relationship between our two countries has never been stronger or more settled, as complex or as important as it is today. Our citizens, uniquely linked by geography and history, are connected today as never before through business, politics, culture and sport, travel and technology and, of course, family ties. Our two economies benefit from a flow of people, goods, investment, capital and ideas on a scale that is rare even in this era of global economic integration

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scotlands-future/pages/10/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vogie said:

Sadly it is not that simple, Scotland has become a one party state, it has no opposition at the moment. Not all Scots who vote SNP want to partition the UK. HTH

You mean like brexit, not all that voted for Leave wanted the full consequences.

In the words of an arch brexiteer, nobody knows what people actually want when they vote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

That Union is what has made the small UK island a leading power throughout that time. The UK is respected, probably more so than much larger countries,

If the UK was such a highly respected entity, why have 65 countries sought independence from Westminster rule.

Divorce is inevitable, partnership is not a Westminster strong point, always been looking for submission. The only real question, acrimonious or amicable?

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You mean like brexit, not all that voted for Leave wanted the full consequences.

In the words of an arch brexiteer, nobody knows what people actually want when they vote.

Yes very much like Brexit, you didn't respect that referendum and neither did you respect the Scottish referendum, so yes you couldn't be more correct. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 5:32 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's got plenty to do with Scottish independence. One vote against Scotland joining and its bye bye Scotland. Spain have already stated, many times, that they will vote against. How straight forward that.

very straight forward

none the less, I think you can safely forget Spain in a lasting way blocking Scotland from EU membership

will not happen

I wage a tenner

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

1.  Because we are among the richer of the European nations.

2.  Not entirely sure much of it does any more.

3. You "suspect".  Not a great deal of use to the very reral current problems beign faced by multiple businesses(and not just in Scotland) who arehan strung by new regulation and red tape.

PH

1. Yes, not a has been.

2. Just your opinion.

3. Same in 1939, we overcame it..

4. You have no confidence, I have, I don't panic....????

11 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

My Chinese new year resolution is to stop posting on Scottish indepence threads. It's a subject that's been hammered out on here for years.

We see the same people posting the same arguments again and again. I don't need to read these anymore, I know exactly what Vogie, RR, SM, Transam etc are all going to say, Neither side willing to budge, and crucially, the 'don't let them have another one' brigade refuses to concede that leaving the EU is a major change to the union, and warrants a further ferendum.

Years of bickering, and no one gives up. Hat's off to you, but I'm out.

Let the Scots have their referendum - I'll apply for citizenship & a Scottish passport (mother & father both Scots) and hope for an EU reunion in a few years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

That question has been answered by me and others many times in the past. But, here it is again just for you from me...

The Union has been together for 300 years on an island fortress. That Union is what has made the small UK island a leading power throughout that time. The UK is respected, probably more so than much larger countries, yet the Scottish Nationalists want to destroy it, which for me beggars belief.

These shield beating Nationalists (SNP) haven't a clue what they are doing, just on an ego trip, instead of dealing with today's problems, many brought on by the SNP's lack of credibility..... 

Sounds like the eu. But they didnt tell the uk they coukdnt have a vote on leaving.

But england refuses to even let scotland vote on it. England telling scotland that it has no right to determine its own future does not make for a united kingdom.

53 minutes ago, transam said:

1. Yes, not a has been.

2. Just your opinion.

3. Same in 1939, we overcame it..

4. You have no confidence, I have, I don't panic....????

And it shouldnt be your decision on what another country can do. Just as the eu had no say in whether you stay or leave.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Sounds like the eu. But they didnt tell the uk they coukdnt have a vote on leaving.

But england refuses to even let scotland vote on it. England telling scotland that it has no right to determine its own future does not make for a united kingdom.

Neither England nor Scotland are independent countries. Therefore neither can allow nor deny what the other does.

The government is the British Government.

The Scots had a referendum. They voted NO. The current British Parliament is saying a second referendum is not going to happen, right now at least. It is my understanding that there are some Scottish MPs involved here. Some that would, if it comes to Parliament to vote on it,  say NO to Indyref2.

Sorry, but England this and England that is simply not true or correct.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Neither England nor Scotland are independent countries. Therefore neither can allow nor deny what the other does.

England and Scotland are different nations, even tough they are part of a Union. 

If Scotland wants to be independent, the English will have no choice but to enter a complicated negotiation process about how this independence will be implemented. Mostly Scotland will want to be free to rejoin the EFTA, and then the EU. 

All we can hope is these future negotiations will be better than the disastrous Brexit negotiations of late. 

14 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

England and Scotland are different nations, even tough they are part of a Union. 

If Scotland wants to be independent, the English will have no choice but to enter a complicated negotiation process about how this independence will be implemented. Mostly Scotland will want to be free to rejoin the EFTA, and then the EU. 

All we can hope is these future negotiations will be better than the disastrous Brexit negotiations of late. 

Incorrect. It is not the English that will need to enter any negotiations. It will be all of the UK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

Correct, no uk in the world cup.

That gets second prize. Well done.

No UK in World cup because UK does not have a football association. Wales, Scotland, England and N.Ireland do.

Thankfully, sport manages to separate itself from politics and embraces sporting associations. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No UK in World cup because UK does not have a football association. Wales, Scotland, England and N.Ireland do.

Thankfully, sport manages to separate itself from politics and embraces sporting associations. 

Is that right?  OK then...

The FIFA World Cup qualification is the process that a national association footbal team goes through to qualify .... (my bold and underline)

PH

Edited by Phulublub

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Sport doesnt sepate itself. Great Britain is in the olympics.

Edited by Sujo

Just now, Phulublub said:

The FIFA World Cup qualification is the process that a national association footbal team goes through to qualify .... (my bold and underline)

PH

Indeed. However, having a national football association does not make one an independent country.

1 minute ago, Phulublub said:

PH

Same as rugby world cup, and in that nth ireland and ireland are combined.

3 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Sport doesnt sepate itself. Great Britain is in the olympics.

Team GB is in the Olympics. Team GB is the short name for Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team.

That is how, many years ago, the team was registered with the IOC and this the way they compete.

If sport does not separate the perhaps there would be no Olympics as the whole world would be in the same team.

Edited by youreavinalaff

3 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Same as rugby world cup, and in that nth ireland and ireland are combined.

Correct. Well done.

The island of Ireland only has one Rugby Union association. Same with golf. That is why, when golf was introduced into to Olympics, Rory McIroy had to decide whether to represent Eire or Team GB.

1 minute ago, Hi from France said:

First minister says she will hold advisory referendum, whether Westminster consents or not

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/24/scotland-independence-referendum-nicola-sturgeon-snp-wins-may-

"advisory" good move 

Screenshot_20210124-162251_Guardian.jpg

Sturgeon’s comments come as four-nation polling for the Sunday Times reveals a majority of voters in Scotland and Northern Ireland want referendums on the break-up of Britain.

• Like 1