Teacher Qualifications - PGCEi, PGCE

Angela22

Hi everyone

I have been living in Thailand for 6 years now and I now require to get a Teachers Licence if I wish to continue teaching in Thailand so therefore I am planning to study for either a PGCEi, PGCE, or MEd qualification. 

I do require to study in order to get my Teaching Licence however, I would also like to do a course which will really help me develop as a teacher and not merely,  receive a piece of paper to say I am qualified, as from my teaching experience, you are left to your own devices and there is no support or guidance from schools to grow as a teacher.

Also, I am an Early Years Teacher and I know most UK courses focus on 5 years and up so I am swaying towards an early years focused course.

I have narrowed it down to 3 options:-

1) University of West of Scotland - MEd Early Years

https://www.uws.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/postgraduate-course-search/early-years/

This is a 3 year course (which I would love to do if I enjoy and I can afford it!) but you can exit after one year with a PGCE Early Years.

2) IPGCE - University of Derby

https://www.derby.ac.uk/online/education-courses/ipgce-online/

This is a cheaper option than other universities and from what I have read a IPGCE is an IPGCE .  However, I have heard mixed reviews about this qualification in terms of development and I have heard it more or less just offers you the qualification.  If anyone can offer any advice on how good this course and how it compares to the other IPGCE options such as Nottingham, Keale, Sunderland, TES?

3) International Early Years PGCE  - UWE Bristol

https://courses.uwe.ac.uk/X71A6/international-early-years#coursecontent

I just found this course online today so if anyone knows anything about this course I would love your feedback?

Overall, I would just appreciate anyone's expertise or guidance as to which course would allow me to develop as a teacher most, a course that is internationally recognised (not just Thailand) and also be early years focused.

Thanks a lot

Angela

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 10:49 PM, Angela22 said:

Hi everyone

I have been living in Thailand for 6 years now and I now require to get a Teachers Licence if I wish to continue teaching in Thailand so therefore I am planning to study for either a PGCEi, PGCE, or MEd qualification. 

I do require to study in order to get my Teaching Licence however, I would also like to do a course which will really help me develop as a teacher and not merely,  receive a piece of paper to say I am qualified, as from my teaching experience, you are left to your own devices and there is no support or guidance from schools to grow as a teacher.

Also, I am an Early Years Teacher and I know most UK courses focus on 5 years and up so I am swaying towards an early years focused course.

I have narrowed it down to 3 options:-

1) University of West of Scotland - MEd Early Years

https://www.uws.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/postgraduate-course-search/early-years/

This is a 3 year course (which I would love to do if I enjoy and I can afford it!) but you can exit after one year with a PGCE Early Years.

2) IPGCE - University of Derby

https://www.derby.ac.uk/online/education-courses/ipgce-online/

This is a cheaper option than other universities and from what I have read a IPGCE is an IPGCE .  However, I have heard mixed reviews about this qualification in terms of development and I have heard it more or less just offers you the qualification.  If anyone can offer any advice on how good this course and how it compares to the other IPGCE options such as Nottingham, Keale, Sunderland, TES?

3) International Early Years PGCE  - UWE Bristol

https://courses.uwe.ac.uk/X71A6/international-early-years#coursecontent

I just found this course online today so if anyone knows anything about this course I would love your feedback?

Overall, I would just appreciate anyone's expertise or guidance as to which course would allow me to develop as a teacher most, a course that is internationally recognised (not just Thailand) and also be early years focused.

Thanks a lot

Angela

Have you also considered UCL Institute of Education? Has a higher status overseas.

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

If you have been teaching for 6 years......I can't see any of these will help.....but I guess you still need a piece of paper.

Yes I need the piece of paper unfortunately but also I would like a qualification to help me develop as a teacher as if I pay money to study I want it to help and not just qualify me.  Thanks

15 hours ago, Angela22 said:

Yes I need the piece of paper unfortunately but also I would like a qualification to help me develop as a teacher as if I pay money to study I want it to help and not just qualify me.  Thanks

Having taught for 25 years I am pretty confident that to develop, all you need to do is keep teaching, cast a very wary eye around the literature.....there is a staggering amount of dross put out by ex-teachers desperate to get of the classroom........ don't accept what people tell you without asking for evidence.

My son is also a teacher....on the way out of his very first whole school meeting he said to his HOD......."there is an awful lot to then this year in terms of teaching styles"........his HOD put his arm around his shoulders and said......"don't worry we son, we won't be doing any of that ßhit".

Edited by Surelynot
  • Haha 1

The three universities you shortlisted are New Universities. They will "do the job" so to speak, but if you have the opportunity to take an MA at UCL, which is a member of the Russell Group of unis and towards the top of recognised international university league tables, then your CV is enhanced and also an asset further down the career road. This is longer term preparation and not just improving teaching skills for the immediate future.

• 2 months later...

Hi Angela22,

I have read your message on the group as I am in the same boat and would like to know who/ which (Institution) you have decided to study with?

I am personally leaning towards the PGCE from UCL as they are highly recognised.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:03 PM, Angela22 said:

I had already been teaching about 4 years before I did a Grad Dip Ed (which was available to me as an overseas student at the time). The course was useful - quite a bit of theoretical background - but for the most part I know most of what was being taught as I had been teaching for a few years. If you are a reflective teacher and have developed yourself over the years, don't expect too much from the course. You should find the assignments quite easy as I did. So it's important to get the qualification that is useful not just for Thailand, but also internationally recognised.