friend from Pattaya needs to pick me up from Suvarnabhumi airport

n210mp

31 minutes ago, n210mp said:

and bring me back to Pattaya on Monday the 18th.

Will he need to  get any special permissions from the district office 

Where are you coming from and is it essential?

Technically, they are saying you need to get the permission form filled out at the local government office from where you are coming from explaining the "essential" reason you need to come to Pattaya. They will likely stop you at the checkpoint and ask about this.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Joe2050 said:

There is absolutely not check point on the motorway between Bangkok to Pattaya and Pattaya to Bangkok, I drove this morning.

Not even between Aranphet and Pattaya. My gf took a minibus to Aran 13/1 and came back by car 14/1, never been checked.

30 minutes ago, J Town said:

Is it feasible for you to take the Swampy/Jomtien bus? Extremely inexpensive, and I always buy two tickets so I don't have to sit next to someone like me. ????

According to their website it is in "hibernation"  J Town, when I contacted their office they confirmed but also said that the bus service from Ekamai to Pattaya was running.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Where are you coming from and is it essential?

Technically, they are saying you need to get the permission form filled out at the local government office from where you are coming from explaining the "essential" reason you need to come to Pattaya. They will likely stop you at the checkpoint and ask about this.

Thank you

I am returning from KK and have the necessary documents

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

She did say however.as you enter Pattaya from the motorway there is a checkpoint.

Is this incorrect then?

Must have started today, because went over the highway to Pattaya, yesterday around 5pm, and then there was no checkpoint.

There is a checkpoint on Sukhumvit, opposite Banglamung police station if you enter from the North, or at least it was there a week ago.

Edited by Susco

9 hours ago, Joe2050 said:

There is absolutely not check point on the motorway between Bangkok to Pattaya and Pattaya to Bangkok, I drove this morning.

Me too...as least as of today, Friday 15 January, there are no checkpoints on Highway 7 all the way into central Bangkok (Sukhumvit) or back again (Sriwat Expressway through to Highway 7 all the way to Pattaya.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Me too...as least as of today, Friday 15 January, there are no checkpoints on Highway 7 all the way into central Bangkok (Sukhumvit) or back again (Sriwat Expressway through to Highway 7 all the way to Pattaya.

I heard there was a checkpoint at the end of the motorway, at the Pattaya Sukhumvit end, is that false?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Susco said:

There is a checkpoint on Sukhumvit, opposite Banglamung police station if you enter from the North, or at least it was there a week ago.

No checkpoint there on the 14th. Didn't even see the "tents" set up or any barricades anywhere.
Friend took the 7 into Pattaya (from the 36) yesterday and no checkpoint.

Maybe they are actually set up closer to the provincial borders (as they should be, instead of nearly 100 away) ?

I spoke to my policeman neighbour on the 14th and he confirmed we can travel anywhere within Chon Buri without restriction or any "permission" needed.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I heard there was a checkpoint at the end of the motorway, at the Pattaya Sukhumvit end, is that false?

Last Monday I saw them setting one up about 2 kilometers south of the Ambassador on Sukhumvit heading north.

1 minute ago, J Town said:

Last Monday I saw them setting one up about 2 kilometers south of the Ambassador on Sukhumvit heading north.

Makes a bit more sense although closer to the Rayong line would be my thoughts.

• Like 1

Don't you have to go into quarantine for 2 weeks after arriving in Thailand at one of those designated hotels ?

I'm guessing you'd still need one of those gov't authorizations as well, with your reason for travelling into Chon Buri being that it is your home. Not sure if your friend would get approval to go to the airport (and back) as they may not consider that essential (as you could use a different method to get to Pattaya).

As for "Swampy". Yeah, the land for the Suvarnabhumi airport was actually purchased back in 1976 when it was called "Cobra Swamp". Naming it Suvarnabhumi and being built on what used to be a swamp, "Swampy" was a natural knickname.
The plans for the airport and the land purchase happened long before Thaksin. That far back (1976 or even before) they knew they'd need a new airport but political strife put the project
on hold indefinitely. (2 coups and 1 attempted coup between '76-77 will do that to you.) It took decades before they finally got around to reviving the project.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

OP's flying into Bkk on an internal flight.

Ah OK. 
Do internal flights still go in/out of U-Tapao ? (Still in a different province but a fair bit closer than Bangkok. Lol - the provincial border is almost at the front door of the airport !)
Untitled.png.bba34f27f449e151961a01b2b4dd07cb.png

Edited by Kerryd
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Do internal flights still go in/out of U-Tapao ?

Assuming KK (where the OP is coming from) is Khon Kaen, doesn't look like any direct flights even if they are landing internal flights there unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

TAT update: Summary of provincial COVID-19 control measures as of 15 January 2021

Province                                                            Measures                                                                                                                                         Entry-Exit / Screening Rules                                               

ChonBuri                + Closure of educational institutions at all levels.  

+ A ban on any gatherings that would pose a risk of disease transmission.  

+ Closure of at-risk businesses and venues.*  

+ Strict disease control measures must be applied at businesses and venues, which are allowed to remain open.*  

+ Dining in at food outlets and restaurants of all types is allowed from 06.00-21.00 Hrs., and thereafter allowed for takeaway or delivery services only, but sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises is not allowed.  

+ Convenience marts or similar type of retail shops that normally open 24/7 must close from 22.00-05.00 Hrs.  

+ Work from home option is encouraged.    
+ Stricter screening measures at entry-exit points.  

+ Individuals wanting to exit the maximum controlled areas must submit their ID card along with other supporting documents for approval by the local administration.

+ Residents and people residing in the maximum controlled areas are required to register with Mor Chana, an app designed to help medical professionals, government agencies and the public trace COVID-19 infections .  

+ Stricter enforcement of disease control measures, including the DMHTT precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19: D – Distancing, M – Mask wearing, H – Handwashing, T – Temperature check, and T – Thai Chana contact tracing application.  

+ Stricter enforcement of a mandatory 14-day quarantine on at-risk people.  

+ Interprovincial travel is discouraged.  

+ Arrivals and travellers are required to undergo health screening at checkpoints.

But no mention of where any checkpoints are. (Maybe to discourage people from trying to go around them ?)

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/01/tat-update-summary-of-provincial-covid-19-control-measures-as-of-6-january-2021/?fbclid=IwAR24_m01F3DAoKXCafk7k2WCo4lp78UrxMiLeaFrdDRVKFKGWjCuJG6hYVY

• Like 1