Smog is back in BKK

LALes

Pretty bad here in Nonthaburi also. I've noticed the air quality is at its worst from about 1 am until 10 am. I guess that's when the wind stops and it settles in over us. I usually take a bike ride around 6:30 am and this morning it was hazy with a fine fog mist of wYer droplets and foul smelling gray particulate matter. My area has many Burmese workers scattered about and they also light fires for warmth during these chilly nights..makes it even worse.

16 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

About 1/3 of the pollution in Bangkok is caused by burning.  A very interesting article in the Post about Why Farmers Burn. 

Part laziness, part financial, part corrupt government.

Yep.

You know there has to be more than a few fat brown envelopes changing hands for the government to just look the other way like this.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Yep.

You know there has to be more than a few fat brown envelopes changing hands for the government to just look the other way like this.

As long as they get more profit when they burn the cane before harvest then they will continue to do so.  Whose fault is that? I don't see laziness involved.

12 minutes ago, cooked said:

As long as they get more profit when they burn the cane before harvest then they will continue to do so.  Whose fault is that? I don't see laziness involved.

One reason we have governments.  To enforce health and safety standards.  Sadly, that type of government doesn't exist here.

Shame on these farmers and businesses who put the health of others at risk just to make a buck.  AKA: lazy.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 9:31 AM, LALes said:

Here we go.  The height of smog season is here.  Mid-January to mid-February.

Crank up your air purifiers to high and have the N95 mask at the ready.

Don't leave home without it.

A N99 mask (at least) with an excellent facial seal and good for stopping particles as small as 200 nano (.2 microns) - not the cheap paper, medical/surgical masks that offer almost no personal protection from pollution or viruses/bacteria. I can't believe how ignorant people and governments are about how important mask type is in terms of protection, not cost. My N99 200 nano (or so) particle-stopper costs me only 2 baht/day overall (3 Gems with a USA-made (allegedly) TG-50SV filter and spare filter - available at HomePro when not sold out). 

This chart indicates that covid-19 virus size is 100 to 500 nano (how can that be?) so maybe I'll get lucky and catch the big ones!

RelativeSizeofParticles-Infographic-1200px_v8.jpg.65ae824570529efabe2512658d99f67c.jpg

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Healthy Farang said:

@MaxYakov What mask? Can you share the brand / name / photo? Thanks! I'm using the Cambridge PRO masks that are n99 and last up to 300+ hours.

Documented in the forum HERE. I add an additional pre filter layer and replace it about every week or two depending on pollution levels. I replace the primary filter every month. I get two months use out of what is intended to be a rather disposable mask although it comes with a spare filter. It's the head straps that get grungy and eventually give out.