'Brexit carnage': shellfish trucks protest in London over export chaos

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Don't worry this is not the first nor will it be the last of the bad news for the UK articles. I am waiting for your good news articles showing how much the UK has won. (I think ill will have to wait in vain).

Of course but don't look at Reuters as you will only get doom and gloom from them.

Rachael Johnson is making a Spanish omelette, so she wants Spanish Citizenship, type articles

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

You claim that this news is fabricated by reuters.

Where did I say that.:coffee1:

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its funny how you claim that the fishermen won while the fishermen claim they were sold out. I

Well its simple maths even for the most challenged. No its the fisherman complaining getting the press at the moment and will continue with Reuters the Guardian and the others anti UK pro EU papers.

When you have a country with liberal lefties who would be happier the UK gave everything away to other countries.

The case with Jeremy Corbyn today and him stating the UK should give COVID vaccines away is the mindset sadly, some have in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Throatwobbler said:

I am sorry but the UK will be back in the UK again. The younger generation are much more pro European than the older generation who are stuck in the past and hanging on to glories of a lost empire. The older generation are doing their best to turn the UK into the sickman of Europe again. They will suceed in the short term but not the long term. It is just a simple matter of time.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are a number of certainties amongst which are Brexit is causing problems for British businesses and the predominantly older voters who backed Brexit won’t be around to assure your prediction on the future of the UK and EU.

Both posts rather pose the question do youthful enthusiasms last, or do people's opinions change as they age?

I suspect, for most, the latter is the case,  which may make your predictions less certain; unless we restrict the franchise to those below a certain age. 

On second thoughts, let's not go there again!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Of course but don't look at Reuters as you will only get doom and gloom from them.

Rachael Johnson is making a Spanish omelette, so she wants Spanish Citizenship, type articles

Where did I say that.:coffee1:

Well its simple maths even for the most challenged. No its the fisherman complaining getting the press at the moment and will continue with Reuters the Guardian and the others anti UK pro EU papers.

When you have a country with liberal lefties who would be happier the UK gave everything away to other countries.

The case with Jeremy Corbyn today and him stating the UK should give COVID vaccines away is the mindset sadly, some have in the UK.

So where do you suggest we look for news given your objections to Reuters?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I am still waiting to feel that freedom. What should I look out for? How will I recognise it? 

You are free to stay in the EU for more than 90 days

You are free not to attend EU Universities and not be funded

You are free not to have your professional certificates recognized

You are free to stand in long lines waiting to have your passport checked

You are free to pay for your own international driving license(s)

You are free to pay for your own green card insurance

You are free to pay for your own health insurance

You are free to apply for residence in an EU country where you may have lived for the past umpteen years

You are free to fill in endless forms to export goods (or just chuck it in and close your business down)

You are free to export/import free of tariffs and quotas (Oh! Wait...we already had that)

So all in all....freedom is coming your way

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

I am sorry but the UK will be back in the UK again. The younger generation are much more pro European than the older generation who are stuck in the past and hanging on to glories of a lost empire. The older generation are doing their best to turn the UK into the sickman of Europe again. They will suceed in the short term but not the long term. It is just a simple matter of time.

I think the UK is actually in the UK, it has always been there....????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

You are free to stay in the EU for more than 90 days

You are free not to attend EU Universities and not be funded

You are free not to have your professional certificates recognized

You are free to stand in long lines waiting to have your passport checked

You are free to pay for your own international driving license(s)

You are free to pay for your own green card insurance

You are free to pay for your own health insurance

You are free to apply for residence in an EU country where you may have lived for the past umpteen years

You are free to fill in endless forms to export goods (or just chuck it in and close your business down)

You are free to export/import free of tariffs and quotas (Oh! Wait...we already had that)

So all in all....freedom is coming your way

All good and nothing of any significance there.  I’d hazard a guess that only the most rabid Remainer Europhile could manage to find more than a couple of your whinges that would ever affect them. 

We’ll settle for our Brexit freedoms rather than EU sufferance thank you.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

'Brexit carnage': shellfish trucks protest in London over export chaos

By Guy Faulconbridge, Kate Holton

04f19c78a7535087a53ca703118254e7.jpg

A lorry with a sign in protest against post-Brexit bureaucracy that hinders exports to the European Union, drives at the Parliament Square in London, Britain, 18 January 2021. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

LONDON (Reuters) - More than 20 shellfish trucks parked on roads near British parliament and Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Downing Street residence on Monday to protest against post-Brexit bureaucracy that they say has stopped them exporting to the European Union.

Many fishermen have been unable to export to the EU since catch certificates, health checks and customs declarations were introduced at the start of this year, delaying their deliveries and prompting European buyers to reject them.

Trucks with slogans such as “Brexit carnage” and “incompetent government destroying shellfish industry” parked metres from Johnson’s 10 Downing Street office in central London. Police were asking the lorry drivers for details.

“We strongly feel the system could potentially collapse,” said Gary Hodgson, a director of Venture Seafoods, which exports live and processed crabs and lobsters to the EU has trucks parked near Downing Street.

“Prime Minister Boris Johnson needs to be honest with us, with himself and with the British public about the problems for the industry,” he told Reuters.

Hodgson said he had cancelled several lorries since December because of red tape.

Britain, which has now completed its journey out of the EU’s orbit, harvests vast quantities of langoustines, scallops, oysters, lobsters and mussels from sea fisheries along its coast which are rushed by truck to EU destinations.

Under a deal reached last month, British trade with the EU remains free of tariffs and quotas on goods, but fish exporters say their businesses are now threatened by a host of often conflicting demands for documents to export to the EU.

A spokesman for the British government’s environment ministry declined immediate comment. Environment Secretary George Eustice said last week that post-Brexit “teething problems” on fish exports could be resolved shortly.

‘BREXIT CARNAGE’

Those participating in the protest said the British government needed to understand the severity of the problems they face and the impact on coastal communities.

They want a more workable system and say there is a shortage of customs agents on both sides.

“It’s not just possible to work with their new rules, between costs, timing, paperwork, it’s just not possible,” said Allan Miller, owner of AM Shellfish in Aberdeen, Scotland, who was parked up in his truck in London.

Miller delivers brown crab, lobster and prawns to the EU but the red tape means live shellfish is getting to market much later - and thus getting lower prices.

“They’ll buy it but if the stuff is weaker they’ll pay less for it,” he said.

Miller criticised Johnson’s Brexit trade deal, saying delivery times had doubled to at least 48 hours from 24 hours.

He said the situation with live shellfish deliveries, with vets checking the loads, was “crazy”.

“I used to be able to load on Sunday, be on the ferry Monday morning and my first drop would be Monday night, so 24 hours from finishing loading to the first customer. Now you’re talking 48 hours to 50 hours. It’s crazy,” he said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-18

The story from most of the fishermen I have seen interviewed is 8 hours delay. Not 24.

20 trucks is hardly carnage. I was in London the day the private coaches protested about lack of help during lockdown. There were over 200.

Seems this fishy tale has been hit by sensationalism.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, robblok said:

, the reality still has to set in. The UK financial sector will be decimated. 

You are going too fast here 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-11/city-of-london-s-plight-laid-bare-as-hopes-for-brexit-deal-fade

The UK financial sector has taken a hit, but it is nothing compared to British exporters SME or fishing or even the automotive industries. 

The City has shed some jobs and profits but right now, it is still quite fine

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Now if the Scots get their way too then it would be the ultimate pie on the face of Brexiteers. 

More surely than Scotland, Northern Ireland already is "on the other side of the fence". 

Still, Irish reunification will not take place before 10 years, but it is irresistible. 

To a large extent the issues to solve will be the same as for Scotland (e.g. Splitting the national debt...) but there are differences (no land border, and the help of the republic of Ireland). 

I'd like to have the Brexiteers take on this, as I have seen many posts on Scottish independence, but nothing about NI. 

41 minutes ago, puchooay said:

The story from most of the fishermen I have seen interviewed is 8 hours delay. Not 24.

20 trucks is hardly carnage. I was in London the day the private coaches protested about lack of help during lockdown. There were over 200.

Seems this fishy tale has been hit by sensationalism.

Carnage refers to Brexit not the trucks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

More surely than Scotland, Northern Ireland already is "on the other side of the fence". 

Still, Irish reunification will not take place before 10 years, but it is irresistible. 

To a large extent the issues to solve will be the same as for Scotland (e.g. Splitting the national debt...) but there are differences (no land border, and the help of the republic of Ireland). 

I'd like to have the Brexiteers take on this, as I have seen many posts on Scottish independence, but nothing about NI. 

NI and Irish unification......now that really will be carnage.

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

you mean it’s the beginning of the UK going down the drain for good? Yeah, it is exciting! ????

You don't know that, your click doesn't know that, all you know is, you can't stop smarting, and it hurts. 

But, chin up chap, you never know, one of the EU minnows may one day match the cash you lost from the UK...:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

...but the red tape means live shellfish is getting to market much later - and thus getting lower prices.

[/quote]

I don't understand this bit.  If the shellfish are live, and transported in the correct conditions, then their quality should be the same - they are live, after all.

Do you like day old bread? Do you pay as much for day old bread? Have you seen fish belly up in tanks at Makro? Do you get it? No?

• Confused 1