'Brexit carnage': shellfish trucks protest in London over export chaos

snoop1130

1 hour ago, transam said:

So when Hitler was looking through his bins at the White Cliffs of Dover, after crushing Europe, you would be on the UK beach waiting with the sandwiches for the imminent squashing of the Brits......?  :clap2: 

We Brits will go on long after the UK is consigned to the history books. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Switzerland are not in the EU as are Russia and they are doing very well, much better than many EU countries, who are really are cap in hand, so that statement is a load of rollocks.

We will adapt and you like other posters give the constant doom and gloom and jump on the anti British Reuters news articles with the rhetoric, how worse off the UK is for not being in the EU.

It is as though one miraculous day the people of the UK will say lets rejoin the EU. In fact it will do the exact opposite so bring these constant negative news articles on.

The people of the UK will just stop buying from the EU and the Dutch will be claiming how they prevented a guy from eating his ham sandwich. What a victory for them.

Switzerland is in the Customs Union.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Russia is doing very well? You know what the total GdP of Russia is? The GdP per head?

Better than some countries in the EU as the poster stated. Look it up as your English has miraculously improved.????

4 hours ago, tebee said:

Secondly, Most of the  other counties in Europe that are not part of the EU are considerably worse off economically than the EU members

I will help you out what the poster said again. The statement which I gave two examples too is simply not true.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

We Brits will go on long after the UK is consigned to the history books. 

The UK has never been out of the history books, and never will be, chummy.......:clap2:

Plus, you will all still be communicating in ENGLISH........????

Edited by transam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bannork said:

Apologies,-further reading below from ec.europa

The cornerstone of EU-Swiss relations is the Free Trade Agreement of 1972.

As a consequence of the rejection of the EEA membership in 1992, Switzerland and the EU agreed on a package of seven sectoral agreements signed in 1999 (known in Switzerland as "Bilaterals I"). These include: free movement of persons, technical trade barriers, public procurement, agriculture and air and land transport. In addition, a scientific research agreement fully associated Switzerland into the EU's framework research programmes.

A further set of sectoral agreements was signed in 2004 (known as "Bilaterals II"), covering, inter alia, Switzerland's participation in Schengen and Dublin, and agreements on taxation of savings, processed agricultural products, statistics, combating fraud, participation in the EU Media Programme and the Environment Agency.

In 2010 an agreement was signed on Swiss participation in EU education, professional training and youth programmes.

Overall, more than 100 bilateral agreements currently exist between the EU and Switzerland.

The on-going implementation of these agreements obliges Switzerland to take over relevant EU legislation in the covered sectors.

These bilateral agreements between the EU and Switzerland are currently managed through approximately 20 joint committees.

As a consequence of its partial integration in the EU's single market, Switzerland pays a financial contribution to economic and social cohesion in the new EU Member States.

Switzerland is partially integrated into the EU as the article says, plus it allows free movement of people.

A useful diagram below, the UK at home alone.

UK alone.jpg

I am not sure that this is 100% correct. Does the UK not now stand proudly basking in its sovereign independence beside Belarus? 

13 hours ago, shdmn said:

It's almost as if choosing to not be a part of an organization means you no longer have any say in the matter.

The same organisation that is still trying to poke its nose into our matters after we left?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

The same organisation that is still trying to poke its nose into our matters after we left?

Come on Loiner, you know how it is with the EU being geographically on our doorstep- You can check out out you can never leave. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Better than some countries in the EU as the poster stated. Look it up as your English has miraculously improved.????

I will help you out what the poster said again. The statement which I gave two examples too is simply not true.

Switzerland has always been a special case.

Despite abundant natural resources, GDP per capita in Russia is below any country, Eastern Europe countries included.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Switzerland are not in the EU as are Russia and they are doing very well, much better than many EU countries, who are really are cap in hand, so that statement is a load of rollocks.

Switzerland  , although not in the EU or EEA as such, has lots of bilateral agreements with them and is part of Schengen. If this is your definition of "not in the EU" would you be happy to see the UK in the same situation ? We might have found something we can agree upon!

Russia - have you talked to any  Russians lately? - the place is a basket case.   

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tebee said:

Switzerland  , although not in the EU or EEA as such, has lots of bilateral agreements with them and is part of Schengen. If this is your definition of "not in the EU" would you be happy to see the UK in the same situation ? We might have found something we can agree upon!

Russia - have you talked to any  Russians lately? - the place is a basket case.   

Switzerland has some special agreements where they get some benefits of being in the EU without actually being in the EU.  I think a lot of that is going to be ending soon with Brussels saying they can not continue to cherry pick the sorts of agreements they want renewed.  So I think Brussels is trying to treat Swizerland and the UK the same now.

Edited by shdmn

14 hours ago, candide said:

Switzerland has always been a special case.

Despite abundant natural resources, GDP per capita in Russia is below any country, Eastern Europe countries included.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

But again they are not in the EU as was suggested, so it was a false statement.

15 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But again they are not in the EU as was suggested, so it was a false statement.

I replied to your claim that Russia GDP per head was "Better than some countries in the EU". Every country in the EU has a higher GDP per capita than Russia.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, candide said:

I replied to your claim that Russia GDP per head was "Better than some countries in the EU". Every country in the EU has a higher GDP per capita than Russia.

I think you have forgotten what you also wrote.

"Switzerland has always been a special case".

As for the other claim. Russia are 11th in the world as the richest economy.

https://www.investopedia.com/insights/worlds-top-economies/

https://globalpeoservices.com/top-15-countries-by-gdp-in-2020/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/685925/gdp-of-european-countries/

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I think you have forgotten what you also wrote.

"Switzerland has always been a special case".

As for the other claim. Russia are 11th in the world as the richest economy.

https://www.investopedia.com/insights/worlds-top-economies/

https://globalpeoservices.com/top-15-countries-by-gdp-in-2020/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/685925/gdp-of-european-countries/

So? Where did I claim Russia or Switzerland were in the EU?

As concerns GDP, the only way to know whether a country is doing better than another one, is to use GDP per capita. You're not going to compare the total GDPs of Russia and Lichtenstein, are you?

Edited by candide

12 hours ago, candide said:

As concerns GDP, the only way to know whether a country is doing better than another one, is to use GDP per capita. You're not going to compare the total GDPs of Russia and Lichtenstein, are you?

I think you need to go back read what has been written and take a big chill pill.

Where did i say YOU did.

Another poster claimed Switzerland was. Got it.

19 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Another poster claimed Switzerland was. Got it.

Although Switzerland is not officially part of the EU it's effectively in it,  as indeed are all the EFTA members. 

Maybe, to avoid pointless argument. I should change my original statement from 

"Most of the other counties in Europe that are not part of the EU are considerably worse off economically than the EU members. "

to 

"Most of the other counties in Europe that are not tightly integrated to  EU are considerably worse off economically than those that are"

And you still haven't  answered my question - if  you consider   Switzerland to be not part of the EU, would you be happy for the UK to have the same deal, as this surely fulfills the referendum mandate ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tebee said:

Although Switzerland is not officially part of the EU it's effectively in it,

We have established that and that was the crux of what someone said that they were. I was merely stating a fact.  Move on from it.

11 hours ago, tebee said:

And you still haven't  answered my question - if  you consider   Switzerland to be not part of the EU, would you be happy for the UK to have the same deal, as this surely fulfills the referendum mandate ?

if you have to ask me that then you have not followed my posts for the last 7 years on the matter. We have left the EU. That is a fact.

Postulating what could have, should have or maybe isn't interesting for me. Again Switzerland are not part of the EU. my whole point.

26 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

We have established that and that was the crux of what someone said that they were. I was merely stating a fact.  Move on from it.

if you have to ask me that then you have not followed my posts for the last 7 years on the matter. We have left the EU. That is a fact.

Postulating what could have, should have or maybe isn't interesting for me. Again Switzerland are not part of the EU. my whole point

Ok , I get that we voted to leave, but why did we have to. Leave in such a bat<deleted> crazy way?

We picked the way that was most expensive for British business and the most expensive for the UK government.

What was wrong with the Swiss model, were we were not in the EU but at least could trade with it easily?

• Like 1