FLIP-FLOP: Immigration backtracks on mandatory COVID-19  testing for visa/extension of stay renewals

webfact

8 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Oh please be true. The utter chaos that this would spawn would be both hilarious and terrible in equal measure. I bet that the single most common job western foreigners do is teaching. Even if only 5% return need a positive result, school's would need closing and the entire student body would need testing as well as family members and other high risk groups. Hospitals would be swamped.

Probably better to not know imho.

Yep their would be an outbreak of nationwide testing as should have been ongoing anyway,.

Thailand will be seen to have covid widespread among us and the fantasy of virtually virus free Thailand will be shattered and it can all be blamed on farangs or migrant workers.

Edited by sapson

This has already been backtracked on and an apology has been issued.

I really do wish that immigration would think for a second before letting out a brain fart.

It beggars belief here sometimes.

Edited by Liverpoolfan
  • Like 2

Just now, Fairynuff said:

Greetings from Thailand Elite Customer Contact Center...

With regard to your inquiry, we have confirmed with the government relation team and they informed that, no official announcement from the immigration regarding the Covid-19 test required for visa extension. As well as the published in the Royal Gazette, there is nothing mentions about the Covid-19 test for a visa extension. 

just received.

Just a massive institutional brain fart mate..

no need to worry.

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

So Richard Barrow wasn’t the scaremongering blogger trying to generate traffic that people accused him to be. 

Obviously a law that doesn’t make much sense. Incoming foreign workers will have to through the quarantine process anyway, and those already in the country are not more likely to catch this virus than people working or staying here illegally or locals. 

Richard Barrow, however well intentioned", is not a official of the Thai government, nor are any posters on TVF, as far as I know.

"I told you so" only serves to inflate the ego, and is not printable in order to attach it to immigration paperwork.

• Like 1

The only way to stop this madness of having more and more requirements for foreigners every year is when the iron bowl of the top civil servants are affected. 

Right now, these civil servants don't realise the damage that their increasingly difficult requirements have done to normal people's lives.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

This has already been backtracked on and an apology has been issued.

I really do wish that immigration would think for a second before letting out a brain fart.

It beggars belief here sometimes.

Indeed. And these are the gents responsible for securing our borders. Lol. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Richard Barrow, however well intentioned", is not a official of the Thai government, nor are any posters on TVF, as far as I know.

Has anyone claimed he is? 

10 minutes ago, Benmart said:

"I told you so" only serves to inflate the ego, and is not printable in order to attach it to immigration paperwork.

Has anyone said “I told you so”? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

This is ridiculous 

for 364 days a year I can shop walk around do whatever just like anyone else and yet on just one day to visit one place (immigration) I need to get a covid test - how stupid is that 

Jesus Christ - who thought that one up

I got my 15 month retirement visa ( first time i have got a retirement visa ) at start of august until november 2021 BUT I GO for 90 day reporting my next is in february 2021 does it mean i have to have a covid test on my 90 day reporting or dont i have to have a covid test until november 2021 ?

2 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

I got my 15 month retirement visa ( first time i have got a retirement visa ) at start of august until november 2021 BUT I GO for 90 day reporting my next is in february 2021 does it mean i have to have a covid test on my 90 day reporting or dont i have to have a covid test until november 2021 ?

It appears to be only on the actual extension, not the 90 day reporting, but I also wonder the same exact thing. 

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

To be fair, the whole medical certificate for work permits thing doesn’t seem to make much sense. I don’t see why they test exactly for those five diseases, and doctors say that if you actually had, they wouldn’t have to test you for it — you would be looking like it from afar. 

I agree.. while I DO think having some form of a medical certificate to prove ones health is a good thing, I think they should be more more clear about what diseases are being tested.. and .. I would also limit the places/people that are authorized to issue such certificates- and in conjunction with that, I’d also cap the fee that can be charged for it.

In addition, I’d think it’s reasonable to have more than 1 medical test; for example if your job is one that puts you into contact with a large number of people or so-called higher risk areas, then I could see testing for more diseases that may be more easily transmissible... by contrast if your job is one that puts you into lower contact, then a test that is perhaps not as exhaustive may be more appropriate. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

This is ridiculous 

for 364 days a year I can shop walk around do whatever just like anyone else and yet on just one day to visit one place (immigration) I need to get a covid test - how stupid is that 

what has Jesus Christ got to do with this ???

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

Do your 90 day report online and don't worry

And ... read on Immigration has already backtracked on the idea!

13 minutes ago, new2here said:

I think they should be more more clear about what diseases are being tested.. and .. I would also limit the places/people that are authorized to issue such certificates-

Actually that’s both the case. The diseases are specified in the law, and only doctors and hospitals can issue such certificates. 
It’s the diseases that don’t seem to make sense. When you have 3rd stage syphilis, you don’t need a test for that—you’ll be screaming it all over. I think the same is the case for elephantiasis. Alcohol addiction may not be easy to diagnose. Forgot the other two. 

and in conjunction with that, I’d also cap the fee that can be charged for it.

The current medical certificates aren’t that expensive. It’s a blood test and a doctor looking at you. Most companies reimburse you for it (or pay directly to the hospital). 

In addition, I’d think it’s reasonable to have more than 1 medical test; for example if your job is one that puts you into contact with a large number of people or so-called higher risk areas, then I could see testing for more diseases that may be more easily transmissible... by contrast if your job is one that puts you into lower contact, then a test that is perhaps not as exhaustive may be more appropriate. 

Agree. Or when your job has to do with machinery, food, etc. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

2 hours ago, smedly said:

This is ridiculous 

Buddha??