can air conditioning help to clean air indoors?

fvw53

Air pollution reaches sometimes dangerous levels in Bangkok.

This period I leave my windows open most of the day so that the polluted air can enter without obstruction.

Would it help to improve air quality indoors if I close windows and use air conditioning?

Toxic gas will not be stopped but I guess dust particles could ....or not?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Buy a roll of filtrete and stick in front of filters. Helps a lot.

Yes but they will get clogged very quickly and you do not want to completely cover AC intake as they greatly reduce airflow.  But keeping air outside will help a lot so open windows is not a good idea when air this dirty.  A dedicated HEPA air filter is a good investment (and they are starting to include with some airconditioners now).

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes but they will get clogged very quickly and you do not want to completely cover AC intake as they greatly reduce airflow.  But keeping air outside will help a lot so open windows is not a good idea when air this dirty.  A dedicated HEPA air filter is a good investment (and they are starting to include with some airconditioners now).

yes it does block but also easy to change. But agree a dedicated filter is better. Btw I have a Hatari filter for sale on Facebook. 

Aircon filters don't take out much of the PM 2.5 , they are not designed for that. I usually run one or two air purifiers in tandem with the aircon during the smoke season, that gets me from 400 down to 40 on the meter.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:33 PM, fvw53 said:

Air pollution reaches sometimes dangerous levels in Bangkok.

This period I leave my windows open most of the day so that the polluted air can enter without obstruction.

Would it help to improve air quality indoors if I close windows and use air conditioning?

Toxic gas will not be stopped but I guess dust particles could ....or not?

That party depends on the AC unit. Some have an extra ionisation option that makes them better than others, but even without that they will drop the particulate count.

As the filter in an aircon gets dirty with dust and needs regular cleaning, depending of use of the aircon, it of course takes some dust particles out from the air.

However, it might not take much, and not the dangerous small 2.5 particles, but there should be relative good air purifiers available, you can have running in addition to, or instead of, your aircon.

Try to google "personal air-purifying devices", or search for "air-purifying" purifying on Lazada...????