U.S., staying in WHO, to join COVID vaccine push for poor nations - Fauci

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

How about making Covid vaccines available to Americans living in Thailand who, it appears, are excluded from Thai vaccine programs.

They will be available via private hospitals.  Even Thais can't get jabs right now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, John Drake said:

That is speculation. When? What hospitals? The embassy told us in its email to follow the rules for Thai vaccination procedures. What are those rules for Americans? Most everyone on these fora have said Americans and other expats will and should be last in line behind any Thais getting the vaccine. Will that actually be the case? Many, if not most Americans are in the age vulnerable group for Covid. Being last in line could be a death sentence. If Fauci wants to help send vaccines to the rest of world, which I do favor, then he should also make provisions for his fellow citizens and taxpayers who are unable to get the vaccine where they reside or who will be last in line.

I never got an email from the Embassy and I'm registered there.  Makes sense they focus on Thais first, this is their country after all and if we really want a jab, we can go back to our home countries for a free one.  Harsh, but reality.

There have been several threads here about private hospitals offering jabs.  Just no specific details as they are no jabs available anywhere here in Thailand.  We'll just have to wait and see how this pans out.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Returning is the right thing to do but the problem I have is the amount U.S. was contributing 145 million?  I say pay what everyone is paying!

Just curious. You favor a “flat tax”? Or do you allow for a graduated taxation dependent on total income?

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I would wish also but am thinking, not holding my breath. Actually, if we were to be serviced through our Embassy intervention that would help me further my real goal. To have US earned Medicare benefits extended globally on the same basis as the US already does for earned military retirees ...

Yes, more free stuff under joseph.

Medicare was not set up to provide for benefits outside the US (with extremely rare exceptions, like if the nearest medical facility is outside the US).

Maybe joseph will change the plan. If AOC gains control of him, don't worry, it will be free stuff all around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, John Drake said:

That is speculation. When? What hospitals? The embassy told us in its email to follow the rules for Thai vaccination procedures. What are those rules for Americans? Most everyone on these fora have said Americans and other expats will and should be last in line behind any Thais getting the vaccine. Will that actually be the case? Many, if not most Americans are in the age vulnerable group for Covid. Being last in line could be a death sentence. If Fauci wants to help send vaccines to the rest of world, which I do favor, then he should also make provisions for his fellow citizens and taxpayers who are unable to get the vaccine where they reside or who will be last in line.

Sounds like you want Americans First no matter where they live. All that ended on Jan 20.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

And that would also save on Medicare expenses, as many people in the US would elect to go outside the US for treatment that is less expensive to them than medigap and other plans in the US and less expensive for Medicare reimbursement by the government.  

Even under joseph this won't happen. And how about the Americans wanting financial recourse when they amputate the wrong leg in Ethiopia?  Won't happen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Actually, given the much lower costs of medical care virtually everywhere else in the world, Medicare should pay rather than have Americans return for expensive treatments.

See my post above about Ethiopia.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

Sorry you chose to ignore my statement that both Medicare and military retiree medical programs are earned. While emotionally appealing to some, “free stuff” is not what is proposed. A citizen benefit return on taxes paid is what most think is a better and needed balance.

See my post above about Ethiopia.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

Even under joseph this won't happen. And how about the Americans wanting financial recourse when they amputate the wrong leg in Ethiopia?  Won't happen.

You work for a health insurance company, a pharma manufacturer, or some place like Tenet? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

Sounds like you want Americans First no matter where they live. All that ended on Jan 20.

And that's fantastic.  We live in a global society and have a global economy.  Trump's policies were a failure and an embarrassment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2