when did the Centara/Duangtawan and Starbucks (night bazaar) shut down ?

orang37

Last night i stumbled from Dr. Tawatchai's clinic down a deserted Loy Kroh, and was surprised to see that major hotel closed.

Gosh, I thought I was topped up with the latest shut-down news ???? 

Any recent links to news of CM area closures,  or reopenings ?

thanks, ~o:37;

On 1/28/2021 at 2:09 PM, orang37 said:

Any recent links to news of CM area closures,  or reopenings ?

Starbucks on Chang Klan, down Loh Kroh from the Duangtawan, is open. Cruised by last night heading to Little Istanbul as my kebab seller on walking street was not there. Walking street open, but deserted, sad.

Rereading your post , you are talking about the Starbucks that was in the Night Market building .. no?. That came and went when I was doing time on Salusa Secundus. Whenever they pulled it is a good reference, pinpointing when the night market flatlined. long before a wuhan virus came along. Just like pulling the Starbucks from Kad Suan G. or getting cold feet, not putting that one in Promenada, is the best indicator you will get that both are terminal.

TANGENT time about the lifeless. Talking to an old timer at the Star Bar. He stated both the owner of Ginnys Place GH and old owners of Montri Hollandi GH, got out of the biz, 2016/17. Both owners are smart. Pin that date, tipping point for backpacking backpacker travel. Just a historical reference point.

Live Long and Prosper, East of the Ping.

Aloha

• Like 1

KSK closed Starbucks

Changklan Starbucks was open 

Promenada,  is it open maybe one mall too many

There was local day produce market in the Galare market Omalley's,  Kebab stand etc. at night

A few small bars open on Thapae soi 1,  area downhill for years

Some traders had their wares out The authentic asian travel experience of being crowded into a narrow footpath to be prodded and jostled not part of new normal visitors prefer the walking street markets

Le Meridien looked open. What is their occupancy?  Associated with the worlds biggest chain perhaps but viability of hotels based on group tour/busses have a long way to go. 

• Like 1

Had a "scotch egg" and a pint or 2 in  ..Red Lion about 2 weeks ago..always ok although ..wee bit quiet but sanuk...Only get into CM usually once a month but always go for a chat..Mabe try for next weekend ..now that hours have changed....Sad about the Dun 2 wan..but will be back soon..but one must be positive ..chai..

Edited by Rinrada
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 5:17 PM, LomSak27 said:

Duangtawan advertised a Christmas dinner buffet. So they were open then. The Loh Kroh, ChangKlan Starbucks closed?! Same, it was open at xmas. I stopped in twice.

What else? 

Johns Place, officially vacant

Bier Stube is closing after 36 (?) years. That is the Mahidol location. Question, when did it move off moon muang to the Mahidol address?

Got to get the camera, putter around town taking snaps, the next couple days. A lot of business who were hanging on, decided to chuck it here at the beginning of 2021. Last week news indicated resumption of tourism will depend on vaccination programs in Thailand let alone the world. That will not happen fast; six months or a year before they get this country up to snuff and a few dribble back in, sorry TAT. No reason to rent a location with no chance of turning a profit for a year.

And besides all that, they are building more boutique hotels ????. They are vacant, but obviously have money for the long haul.

I thought a TV member said John's place was closed for a refurb?

• Confused 1

On 2/3/2021 at 2:30 AM, Rinrada said:

Had a "scotch egg" and a pint or 2 in  ..Red Lion about 2 weeks ago..always ok although ..wee bit quiet but sanuk...Only get into CM usually once a month but always go for a chat..Mabe try for next weekend ..now that hours have changed....Sad about the Dun 2 wan..but will be back soon..but one must be positive ..chai..

Good to hear the Red Lion is hanging in there. Kevin and Ging are survivors.

I can remember their 1st premises (just nearby) then called the HAUS MUNCHEN. Back in '83 Ging was a waitress and used to serve me breakfast.  In the 90's they shifted to 'wider' premises just up the road. At the same time, Ging opened another restaurant (BAN CHUNG) near the Riverside but it didn't last all that long. In the 2000's they closed the HAUS MUNCHEN and moved to the current location naming it the Red Lion to give it that English flavour whilst still catering for their German returning regulars.

Long may the place last. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 3:55 PM, BostonRob2 said:

Made in Thailand and Tom, Tom, where you go last night.....by Carabao.

Perhaps I am showing my age.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:17 PM, LomSak27 said:

Duangtawan advertised a Christmas dinner buffet. So they were open then. The Loh Kroh, ChangKlan Starbucks closed?! Same, it was open at xmas. I stopped in twice.

What else? 

Johns Place, officially vacant

Bier Stube is closing after 36 (?) years. That is the Mahidol location. Question, when did it move off moon muang to the Mahidol address?

Got to get the camera, putter around town taking snaps, the next couple days. A lot of business who were hanging on, decided to chuck it here at the beginning of 2021. Last week news indicated resumption of tourism will depend on vaccination programs in Thailand let alone the world. That will not happen fast; six months or a year before they get this country up to snuff and a few dribble back in, sorry TAT. No reason to rent a location with no chance of turning a profit for a year.

And besides all that, they are building more boutique hotels ????. They are vacant, but obviously have money for the long haul.

Good question...  when DID the Bier Stube move from Moon Muang?

A bit of trivia, but back in the early/mid 80's we'd spend a good part of our night at the old KAREN HUT bar (it used to be down Chiang Moi Lane #1 just before the rear of the Amora)...  when that closed we'd go to the Chiang Mai Thermae a.k.a the PEAKOCK COFFEE SHOP (it was situated where the Montri Coffee Shop aka Zest aka Burger King aka Coffee Club now is/was).  When the PEACOCK closed at sunrise we'd go to the BIER STUBE for breakfast.  I can remember during one wet season when there was a foot of water covering the whole floor...   the cockroaches were all over the place....  still, was a good place . 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 9:08 PM, Shoeless Joe said:

I can tell you that the Duangtawan Hotel closed its doors at 10pm on Saturday 9th January. We were a party of 10 booked in for dinner that evening and apart from a few staff the hotel was empty. After the meal, we put our hands in our pockets and gave the remaining waitressing staff a good tip as a send-off. We were told that the hotel planned to reopen sometime in March this year (subject to a number of factors).
As we walked through the empty and eerily quiet hotel to the car park, it was sad to see the 2 receptionists (no, I don't know why they were still there!) closing the doors behind us.
Hopefully it won't be too long before they get enough bookings to reopen.

Regards

Joe

We were wondering if they had bit the bullet permanently.  Good to hear they may be opening again.

• 2 weeks later...

Called the Centara/Duangtawan hotel today: operator (English   speaking) says hotel, and fitness center, are open. Also claimed they "never closed, except for the swimming  pool" ????

cheers, ~o:37;

9 hours ago, fangless said:

As you can see from the poor photo attached, taken today, the hotel is "temporarily closed till 31 March 2021".

Did I hallucinate a phone conversation last Sunday, in which a hotel employee said they were open ?

Is the hologram fuzzy at the edges again ?  Was there something in the tap water Sunday ... if so, where can I get more of it ?

~o:37;

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Did I hallucinate a phone conversation last Sunday, in which a hotel employee said they were open ?

Is the hologram fuzzy at the edges again ?  Was there something in the tap water Sunday ... if so, where can I get more of it ?

Call them and ask again.  Does the same person answer?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

Temporarily closed hotels may be rerouting their main numbers to a paid service that lies about their exact status in order to discourage the cancellation of future bookings and prevent requests for the return of deposits.

Having no one answer, or leaving a recorded message telling the truth, would create alarm and trigger refunds for bookings made via Expedia, Booking.com etc. The hotel would be out of pocket for the website's cut of such bookings.

Better to wing it and hope that you will be able to re-open in time to honor those bookings.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, donnacha said:

Temporarily closed hotels may be rerouting their main numbers to a paid service that lies about their exact status in order to discourage the cancellation of future bookings and prevent requests for the return of deposits.

That's a judicious close shave using Occam's Razor, thanks !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bill97 said:

You never were.

I was going to go all "Grammar Police" on you and state that you should have said "You never are" and NOT "were".  Then I remembered/realized who we are talking about as I do not believe that "orang37" lives in any form of tenses. 

• Like 1