Are Emirates Reliable with Refunds.

NoshowJones

Over six months ago my flight to the UK was cancelled. I went to their office in Bangkok and they told me I would get a refund in six months minus 1000BT.

The 6 months is up now, so I filled in the form on their website, and was told they would contact me shortly. This was a week ago, but I have heard nothing from them.

Anyone know if I have any hope of getting my refund?

49 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I got my full cash refund after about 6 months, after first getting a refund voucher.

I did not get a voucher, though I did get a phone call from them a couple of days later confirming refund in six months, but I

think CharlieH is right, I will just be patient.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I did not get a voucher, though I did get a phone call from them a couple of days later confirming refund in six months, but I

think CharlieH is right, I will just be patient.

A phone call is no good as proof. Ask for an email.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A phone call is no good as proof. Ask for an email.

What actually happened was when I was at the office I was offered another flight within I thing 18 months. I accepted just thankful to get it. They called me about a day later and offered me a refund in six months, I have sent them an email through their website, all filled in correctly, then told they would get back to me shortly.

I think CharlieH is right, I will give it more time.

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

There are probably 300+ just on that one flight, thousands overall across many flights, I would say yes you will it will just take time to process.

They are as reliable as most reputable airways, such as LH, BA, Swiss etc. in view of the vast number  of refunds they are required to process it takes a few months. Patience, my friend.

47 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

They are as reliable as most reputable airways, such as LH, BA, Swiss etc. in view of the vast number  of refunds they are required to process it takes a few months. Patience, my friend.

They told me six months, and it's more than that now, I don't mind waiting, but if they would just acknowledge that they got my email.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

They told me six months, and it's more than that now, I don't mind waiting, but if they would just acknowledge that they got my email.

Go to their main (UAE) website and use the webchat to chase it up.  Make sure you have the ticket number to hand and they can quickly look at the status.  You will communicate with a person, not a bot, and get an email of the conversation for your records.  Only problem might be they will be rather busy again now due to the UK shutting down flights through UAE.

2 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I think they're probably also experiencing cash flow problems; idk if they're delaying refunds deliberately, but the delay is surely helping with those...

15 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Go to their main (UAE) website and use the webchat to chase it up.  Make sure you have the ticket number to hand and they can quickly look at the status.  You will communicate with a person, not a bot, and get an email of the conversation for your records.  Only problem might be they will be rather busy again now due to the UK shutting down flights through UAE.

Can you give me a link to this website which has webchat? Thanks.

Is there really any reason these days why a refund should take a long time, w/computers being what they are...

but then, the amt of money held would yield a handsome profit over 6 months... 

why if it takes so short a time to accept/process your money does it take so long to return it? 

6 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Is there really any reason these days why a refund should take a long time, w/computers being what they are...

but then, the amt of money held would yield a handsome profit over 6 months... 

why if it takes so short a time to accept/process your money does it take so long to return it? 

How long do you think it would take you to process a refund at a terminal ?

Then assume you had to do that over a million times ? How many months would you need.

Emirates as an example carried 56 million passengers (2018 figures)  more than a million a week. Even if it was less than half that over a period, its alot of processing time.

Taking a payment is automated and doesnt require their participation at all. Refunding it is a lengthy manual process. Verify the passenger to start, verify the completed purchase, trace the successful payment, then go through the refund process the card issuer requires. Then do all that a million or more times.

5 minute job eh. Yeah course it is.

• Like 1

Last year Emirates cancelled my April 30 flights Bangkok - Dubai - Brussels and the return flights.

I had booked these flights during the period that they provided a change of flight dates at no cost for all flights booked during that period.

Their website provided several options, a refund, voucher or re-booking on later dates for same itinerary at no extra cost.

I called them to enquire about how to make use of that last option (re-booking at later dates for same itinerary at no extra cost).  The call-center confirmed that option, and told me I did not had to do anything as I would be able to use my original booking reference number to reschedule the itinerary at no cost, and that this would be valid for one year. 

Brilliant service!  But we are now 9 months later, and it looks like there is still no light at the end of the tunnel for doing my envisioned trip to Europe and back,  So I will have to enquire beginning of April, whether that 1-year period will prolonged or apply for a refund or voucher.

• Like 1

Anyone know if the Central Chidlom Office of T.V. airbookings is open now? It was closed a few months ago.

I was sent an email from the Emirates head office to get in touch with them to process my refund. Thanks.

25 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Anyone know if the Central Chidlom Office of T.V. airbookings is open now? It was closed a few months ago.

I was sent an email from the Emirates head office to get in touch with them to process my refund. Thanks.

Why not just ring them and find out ? Tel. 02 255 6950-2, 

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Have done. Their phone is ringing out. Probably not open yet. Thanks.

Probably closed for pandemic, and Emirates want me to contact them to process my refund. Will try and see what Emirates have to say.

Before Covid I was on an Emirates flight from Bangkok to Dubai when the plane immediately in front of us crashed on the runway. So we aborted our landing at the last minute and subsequently circled the airport for two hours. Finally landed at another abandoned airport nearby along with 40 or so other A380’s. After waiting on the plane for 2 hours we were bussed to Dubai airport (had a close look at the crashed and by then still burning plane). 6 hours after that the runway finally reopened and I got on a connecting flight. Total delay around 12 hours.

The next day my luggage was delivered and I got a phone call from Emirates if I would like a full refund (of the return trip price) to make up for the delay. I agreed, emailed my passport copy and bank account and 3 days later I had the money. Excellent service. 

That all said, in these Covid times I can understand things will be a lot more difficult. But if I trust any airline to come through, it’s Emirates. 

• Like 2