Barking Dogs Incessantly

1 hour ago, J Town said:

That was one of the major considerations in renting my current place. Double paned windows/sliding glass doors on the 26th floor. Howl away, you little werewolves, I can't hear you!

100% spot on....I will never live at street level in Thailand again.....it is hell.....nobody gives a FF for anyone else.....they are not inconsiderate......other peoples welfare simply doesn't even seem to register.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

100% spot on....I will never live at street level in Thailand again.....it is hell.....nobody gives a FF for anyone else.....they are not inconsiderate......other peoples welfare simply doesn't even seem to register.

if you live in a decent area, with quality neighbours, you would not have any problems living in a house here.

Just now, nickmondo said:

if you live in a decent area, with quality neighbours, you would not have any problems living in a house here.

Someone ALWAYS  has a dog!.....and regardless of "quality", think it is fine for me to have to listen to their music.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

when mrs was head of the village committee a resident brought a letter somebody had sent him complaining about his barking dogs and he wanted her to find out who sent it. He explained he only had two small dogs and they never went out.

I walked past his house latter to have a look and had to check the address twice- two big Dobbermans in a cage hardly big enough to stand up in and going crazy- strange how people make excuses for them, normally it's all dogs bark, what about all the others etc

My friend rented his house to a guy who said he only had a small dog and turned up with a Doberman. my friend said is that a small Doberman? My friend <deleted> ed him off with his small Doberman

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

My friend rented his house to a guy who said he only had a small dog and turned up with a Doberman. my friend said is that a small Doberman? My friend <deleted> ed him off with his small Doberman

Stayed in an apartment in Ari over Xmas....(a very high quality neighbourhood).....second floor apt......dogs barking incessantly outside....three small, very lively dogs kept in a small cage one side...on the other a husky in a cage, the cage was just big enough to allow the husky to turn around .......how can people do that???? No way I could have lived there for any length of time.

If you are attentive and not focused solely on the dogs that you are complaining about, just sit quietly and listen as far as your hearing will allow.  What you'll hear is that one group of dogs closest to you are not the only dogs barking.
I've had anywhere between 2 dogs to 9 dog at any given time at our home in our village where the dogs have about 2/3s of a rai of fenced in land to run.  Do they bark.  Yep.  Most dogs do.  Some breeds more than others.  Our Thai dogs are somewhere in the middle of the barking index. 
Now - why do our dogs bark. 
For a number of reasons.
1.  Strangers approaching the house.  Well - that's why we have them.  We have a perimeter fence around the property, the gates are always locked, and 'strangers' aren't invited unless we invite them.  In that case, we want them to bark.  It tells me there are people around.  Their "territorial barks" have a real distinctive sound. 
2.  Trucks and cars driving around with loud-speakers blasting advertising.  Well heck, you think that the dogs barking and howling is a nuisance?  Their barking stops when the loud noise being blasted via speakers moves on. 
3.  Village PA system.  Same as number 2.  Six o'clock in the freaking morning and the village head is playing Thai music followed by a sermon. Same at about five-thirty in the evening untll six PM.   That gets virtually every dog in the village going, but it generally doesn't last too long.  A minute of barking and howling and it stops.
4.  Pack behavior.  If my dogs seem to be barking for "no good reason" well, then you need to listen.  If my dogs are barking at night, I guarantee that in the distance other dogs are barking.  One dog in the village starts (probably because a stranger is around their house) then other dogs within earshot pick up the chorus.  It lasts for awhile and then dies out.

Now when you're in the city, that can be a pain in the buns.  And I've been in your position when I had an apartment in Chiang Mai. People across from the apartment had three Huskeys (what a inappropriate dog to have in Thailand, but I digress).  And Huskey's from my experience seem to generally be barkers.  Along with small "yip yip" dogs.  And being in the city people walk past their house all the time.  Territorial dogs end up barking all of the time.  But I bet if you listen, quietly, you'll hear dogs all over the area adding to the chorus in a pack behavior manner. 

So the problem with "complaining to the authorities" about barking dogs is that you're bothered by the dogs closest to you because they make the most noise.
If some one told me I have to make my dogs be quiet all of the time, I'm going to tell them to go make all the other dogs in the area quiet then my dog will be too.
That's just the nature of it.  But, in our village including our immediate neighbors?  We all have dogs.  So nobody says anything.  If my dogs are barking I guarantee their dogs are barking too.

If I was in an apartment and it bothered me, I'd move.  But barking dogs don't really bother me.  If you have a house and can't move - get your own dogs.  You'll eventually learn how to tune it out. 

If feel for ya - but - (and I don't mean to be cheeky) this is Thailand.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, tifino said:

time to Order a Woofer Stopper Mk2 kit...   it detects the specific noise of a dogs bark, and responds with a very loud ultrasonic blast in return. I had mine with me for the most recent living in malaysia (with same problems to contend with)  The Ultrasonic Horn that comes in the kit is easily aimed towards your nominated target 

If you used something like that, which in my humble opinion is animal abuse as you're purposefully trying to hurt these dogs ears, my guess is that the village head and police would be visiting you.  Not vice versa. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, connda said:

If you are attentive and not focused solely on the dogs that you are complaining about, just sit quietly and listen as far as your hearing will allow.  What you'll hear is that one group of dogs closest to you are not the only dogs barking.
I've had anywhere between 2 dogs to 9 dog at any given time at our home in our village where the dogs have about 2/3s of a rai of fenced in land to run.  Do they bark.  Yep.  Most dogs do.  Some breeds more than others.  Our Thai dogs are somewhere in the middle of the barking index. 
For a number of reasons.
1.  Strangers approaching the house.  Well - that's why we have them.  We have a perimeter fence around the property, the gates are always locked, and 'strangers' aren't invited unless we invite them.  In that case, we want them to bark.  It tells me there are people around.  Their "territorial barks" have a real distinctive sound. 
2.  Trucks and cars driving around with loud-speakers blasting advertising.  Well heck, you think that the dogs barking and howling is a nuisance?  Their barking stops when the loud noise being blasted via speakers moves on. 
3.  Village PA system.  Same as number 2.  Six o'clock in the freaking morning and the village head is playing Thai music followed by a sermon. Same at about five-thirty in the evening untll six PM.   That gets virtually every dog in the village going, but it generally doesn't last too long.  A minute of barking and howling and it stops.
4.  Pack behavior.  If my dogs seem to be barking for "no good reason" well, then you need to listen.  If my dogs are barking at night, I guarantee that in the distance other dogs are barking.  One dog in the village starts (probably because a stranger is around their house) then other dogs within earshot pick up the chorus.  It lasts for awhile and then dies out.

Now when you're in the city, that can be a pain in the buns.  And I've been in your position when I had an apartment in Chiang Mai. People across from the apartment had three Huskeys (what a inappropriate dog to have in Thailand, but I digress).  And Huskey's from my experience seem to generally be barkers.  Along with small "yip yip" dogs.  And being in the city people walk past their house all the time.  Territorial dogs end up barking all of the time.  But I bet if you listen, quietly, you'll hear dogs all over the area adding to the chorus in a pack behavior manner. 

So the problem with "complaining to the authorities" about barking dogs is that you're bothered by the dogs closest to you because they make the most noise.
If some one told me I have to make my dogs be quiet all of the time, I'm going to tell them to go make all the other dogs in the area quiet then my dog will be too.
That's just the nature of it.  But, in our village including our immediate neighbors?  We all have dogs.  So nobody says anything.  If my dogs are barking I guarantee their dogs are barking too.

If I was in an apartment and it bothered me, I'd move.  But barking dogs don't really bother me.  If you have a house and can't move - get your own dogs.  You'll eventually learn how to tune it out. 

I have a dog who is trained and as quiet as a church mouse she will make a small bark if someone comes with a delivery other that visitors ask why does Millie not bark when the other dogs are going mental TRAINING and also not leaving the dogs unattended for long periods of time Thailand or Timbuktu if you can’t be s responsible pet owner but want a dog then buy porcelain one!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, connda said:

For a number of reasons.

Living the dream I see!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

When they bark, throw a Fire Cracker near them ( NOTE - Not at them ).

This scares the hell out of them.

Every time they bark  do this. They soon get the message and cease barking.

Really...  And where are you getting fire crackers here in Thailand???

21 hours ago, tifino said:

time to Order a Woofer Stopper Mk2 kit...   it detects the specific noise of a dogs bark, and responds with a very loud ultrasonic blast in return. I had mine with me for the most recent living in malaysia (with same problems to contend with)  The Ultrasonic Horn that comes in the kit is easily aimed towards your nominated target 

But is'nt there a problem with the range of these devices ?

18 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I've only ever had that problem once, the Thai people dealt with it, 

Did it make you stop barking ?

18 hours ago, jesimps said:

There are nine dogs in the garden of the house next door to me which make an unimagionable racket. Why did nature make them all gob<deleted>es and their owners all pillocks. Personally I'd like to see them become extinct, the dogs as well.

If only next door, then a good anti barking device will certainly work for you.

18 hours ago, ChipButty said:

When I first came to live in Phuket 18 years ago I lived in a moo baan that was nice but it was all open plan no walls a neighbour moved in with 5 dogs, He said to me one day it's amazing you never see any dog <deleted>, I said to him you should come in my garden and see it,

Never s** t on your own doorstep,obviously well trained dogs.

17 hours ago, onebir said:
17 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

He explained he only had two small dogs and they never went out.

I walked past his house latter to have a look and had to check the address twice- two big Dobbermans in a cage hardly big enough to stand up in and going crazy

I guess small is a relative concept for some. & the cage did ensure they never went out...

but if the irate owners question 'was' answered - we'd sure know what address he'll unleash his killers to when he lets them out ...

18 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

But is'nt there a problem with the range of these devices ?

in a utopian world, the offending mutts are on the other side of 'your' fence...   not down the far end of the street 

I was lucky to mount the Horn under the eaves of the back shed right next to the fence, and aimed downwards...

14 hours ago, connda said:

If you used something like that, which in my humble opinion is animal abuse as you're purposefully trying to hurt these dogs ears, my guess is that the village head and police would be visiting you.  Not vice versa. 

how would they really know? - the thing is ultrasonic (only audible to humans when in Test mode) The device only Outputs WHEN the dogs are barking too loud enough to trigger it. Sensitivity is adjustable too

there's even a Circuit on pdf currently available (for the original version only Not the mk2) 

http://kitsrus.com/projects/k126.pdf

I originally ordered mine from SIliconChip, and they have an active online ordering facility. I see the pcb is still available! 

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Shop/ 

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/1993/May/Build+The+Woofer+Stopper 

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Shop/10/2552