Fiber optic cable direct to WIFI router

mrmicbkktxl

44 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I wanted to do the same however it appears that, other than ISP supplied modem routers (3bb supply Huawei), a separate modem is needed. The mainstream aftermarket manufacturers such as TP-Link, D-Link, Asus, Netgear and Belkin etc. don't seem to offer a single box fibre modem/router solution. If anyone knows of one please post.

Whatever device is used to connect directly to the fibre optic cable needs to have it's mac address provisioned by the ISP or it can't work. As far as I know, ISP's in Thailand won't let you use your own device to connect directly to their fibre network. I suspect that is why you don't see such devices for sale in Thailand.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

When 3BB upgraded me to fibre, they installed a new modem/wifi router, all free, he connected his own LT and got near 1GB, my DT setup needed a 1GB LAN card to increase speed, I did that, and now I get around 300 up and down...:thumbsup: 

I pay for, and usually get 1Gb down, 500 up. On WiFi sitting next to the router 107/90

18 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I've got a 3BB Fibre and router with WiFi6. It's actually quite fast but lacks a VPN client. A VPN client is useful if you want to connect an Android Box or Smart TV to an international VPN to get your international flavour of Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer or other region limited content shown on a TV rather than a computer. I wanted to use my ASUS router connect to the 3BB router in Bridge mode but just couldn't get it to work. I think a different subnet is required and that's what I did just making it a repeater. Works a charm now for VPN but would rather not have the big 3BB router as a modem.

I have the same setup as you, as I have one device that can handle wifi6 I have created a seperate ssid on the 3bb router the protocol for the wifi 6 ssid is Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) security protocol is WPA3-Personal with 3bb router bandwidth for the wifi6 set at either 80 MHz or 160  MHz depending on the wifi6 router that 3bb supplys. wifi6 still runs over the 5 GHz the 5ghz ssid uses 40 mhz  bandwidth and 2g uses 20 mhz bandwidth.

On the asus router it has a built in vpnclient for any international region limited content and the 3bb router is used for HBO access as HBO is region locked

The 1st piece of kit connecting to the internet is always managed by the ISP as they have superuser id and password to check if there is any issues on your connection or modem

on my wifi card my Link speed (Receive/Transmit):    ranges between 1300-1800mbps in theory the card is capable of 2400mbps if 3BB  speeds increase

Edited by vinny41
additional info
  • Thanks 1

Paid my 631bht at 3BB yesterday for my 1GB service where I can only get 300 up and down, though I am very happy with that I thought I would mention it. The nice lady got tech on the phone who spoke English, I told them I had installed a 1GB LAN card but still gt 300. She said we will send a tech guy to your house.

Couple of hours later they turned up at my house, done a few tests and plugged in a LT to my modem.

Wow, 1024 mbps came up on the speed test, so they delved into my DT to see what was going on, a graph came up on the screen, it indicated my processor was the culprit. I thought it was an OK processor, old type but new fitted into my old-ish mother board.   Intel 4 core, 4 thread, 2.66GHz.

Great service with an answer to my prob, well, not a prob really, as 300mbps up and down is very good for 631bht per month eh...:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, soi3eddie said:

I wanted to do the same however it appears that, other than ISP supplied modem routers (3bb supply Huawei), a separate modem is needed. The mainstream aftermarket manufacturers such as TP-Link, D-Link, Asus, Netgear and Belkin etc. don't seem to offer a single box fibre modem/router solution. If anyone knows of one please post.

Yeah, you can’t use your own GPON - they are hard coded to 3BB.

The only option is that maybe they are able to offer you a (gigabit) GPON - which is a thing the size of a cigarette box that converts the fiber into copper. They have been discontinued, but they still exist, I have one. I got it from my local friendly installer. 

7 hours ago, recom273 said:

Yeah, you can’t use your own GPON - they are hard coded to 3BB.

The only option is that maybe they are able to offer you a (gigabit) GPON - which is a thing the size of a cigarette box that converts the fiber into copper. They have been discontinued, but they still exist, I have one. I got it from my local friendly installer. 

I bought a HG8010H GPON online new from China but cannot get it to work. I'm assuming it is only possible if provisioned from 3BB? Is that correct? I want to use my own ASUS router without needing the big router from 3BB. Any advise please?

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I bought a HG8010H GPON online new from China but cannot get it to work. I'm assuming it is only possible if provisioned from 3BB? Is that correct? I want to use my own ASUS router without needing the big router from 3BB. Any advise please?

Yes, that’s the model I have.

I had an issue with speeds, and they sent a couple of technicians round, nice guys, sensible, they visited a couple of times, one time they helped out above their duty and I gave them 500B for lunch. They agreed that It was silly to give me a ugly router, when I had a decent router and WiFi APs. Two weeks later the one of the guys turns up at the gate with the second hand gpon. He swapped it out, made a 30 second call and I was online.

They must use these gpon boxes in their enterprise setups, but good luck getting a call back from their business dept. Have you tried taking it into the local HQ and seeing what happens? 

On 2/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, thedemon said:

Yes, you can change the setting to bridge mode by yourself but it still won't work until it has been provisioned for bridge mode by a technician at the network centre.

The new router that you are using to connect and the ISP supplied router (now acting as an ONT or modem only) must be on different subnets or it won't work.

Therefore if the ISP device has it's LAN IP address set to 192.168.1.1 then you need to use e.g. 192.168.2.1 as the LAN IP for your new router. 

Not my experience, i had 3bb at my old home in bridge moved to a new home new subscription and i put it in bridge myself put my asus router after my bridged modem and done. So it can be done yourself if you have all the paswords and stuff.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 8:51 AM, transam said:

Paid my 631bht at 3BB yesterday for my 1GB service where I can only get 300 up and down, though I am very happy with that I thought I would mention it. The nice lady got tech on the phone who spoke English, I told them I had installed a 1GB LAN card but still gt 300. She said we will send a tech guy to your house.

Couple of hours later they turned up at my house, done a few tests and plugged in a LT to my modem.

Wow, 1024 mbps came up on the speed test, so they delved into my DT to see what was going on, a graph came up on the screen, it indicated my processor was the culprit. I thought it was an OK processor, old type but new fitted into my old-ish mother board.   Intel 4 core, 4 thread, 2.66GHz.

Great service with an answer to my prob, well, not a prob really, as 300mbps up and down is very good for 631bht per month eh...:thumbsup:

Strange answer from the techies. The processor should not limit it like that especially not with a processor you have. Its a bit old but should not really affect your download speed.

Not as noticeable as in your case. Did you both use the same speed test program (just assume you did). As your talking about a lan card you installed yourself was this an USB type or a real plug in type.

If usb then it might not be as fast as it depends on the USB port you put it in usb 3 has faster speeds as usb2 ect.

I have a gigabit lan card for the laptop of GF (usb type) but it does not get the same speed as my build in on the motherboard gigabit lan card. 

So what kind of lan card did you install and if its USB what kind of USB port do you use (personally i doubt you have usb3)

The latest, USB 2.0, is capable of transferring data at a rate of 480 Mbps. ... Gigabit (1 Gbps) Ethernet is more than twice as fast as USB 2.0. In reality, both Gigabit Ethernet and USB 2.0 can transfer data far faster than most consumer Internet Service Providers can deliver it.

USB 3.0 has transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s, about ten times faster than USB 2.0 (0.48 Gbit/s) even without considering that USB 3.0 is full duplex whereas USB 2.0 is half duplex.

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

Yes, that’s the model I have.

I had an issue with speeds, and they sent a couple of technicians round, nice guys, sensible, they visited a couple of times, one time they helped out above their duty and I gave them 500B for lunch. They agreed that It was silly to give me a ugly router, when I had a decent router and WiFi APs. Two weeks later the one of the guys turns up at the gate with the second hand gpon. He swapped it out, made a 30 second call and I was online.

They must use these gpon boxes in their enterprise setups, but good luck getting a call back from their business dept. Have you tried taking it into the local HQ and seeing what happens? 

Thanks. I'll try calling their customer support (usually better spoken English) and see what they say. If no luck there I'll try bridge mode again as robblok said he did and just live with the 3bb big box. I do have passwords etc. It may just have been the subnet was wrong in bridge when I tried.

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. I'll try calling their customer support (usually better spoken English) and see what they say. If no luck there I'll try bridge mode again as robblok said he did and just live with the 3bb big box. I do have passwords etc. It may just have been the subnet was wrong in bridge when I tried.

It takes a bit of setting up look at my subnet and here is how i put it in the asus router

rsz_screencap.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

One reason I hate Huawei routers, although it may have changed over the past few years, is the complexity of the settings panel, so I refuse to touch ISP supplied kit, If you want your router in bridge mode, then call the techs, it’s their kit, they know it back to front and they are quite happy to do it.

Then if you need to play with port forwarding, VLAN, DDNS and VPN settings, then that’s your responsibility, do that on your kit.

Helpline are never that helpful, I would tell them that you want your 3BB supplied device in bridge-mode and leave it at that. When the tech’s come to the house, then hit them with your GPON, tell them you know that it works with their system.

As robblok says above, they can put a router in bridge mode in a shop and give it to you, they might be able to do the same with your GPON. If not offer them an incentive to find you a box like mine.

If you need help about router settings, just explain your problem to the helpdesk and request a callback from ‘the ISP team’ they are really helpful, they can even work remotely via teamviewer or anydesk. 

Here is some proof - if they give it ‘Mai mee’ or ‘Mai dai’ 

That’s 3BB branded, kit, not a sticker (well, the bottom one is, that’s the place it came from)

E9E752FB-2E49-4310-A441-C4F5AD325C48.jpeg

1A9A36AE-DDBE-425B-BA1A-F1BBEEC5DAD0.jpeg

Edited by recom273

3 hours ago, robblok said:

It takes a bit of setting up look at my subnet and here is how i put it in the asus router

rsz_screencap.jpg

Thanks. I have the AC68U too so that's great. How about bridge mode setup on 3bb router? Assume create another Wan connection with mode as "bridge wan" and assign it to a specific LAN port to plug the Asus router into?

4 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. I have the AC68U too so that's great. How about bridge mode setup on 3bb router? Assume create another Wan connection with mode as "bridge wan" and assign it to a specific LAN port to plug the Asus router into?

Its a bit tricky i remember that i had to go into the 3bb router and then just set it to bridge. (im sorry don't have the password handy). But before you put it into bridge mode make a screen shot to save the data (it has passwords login and the setting you see in my router there).

After you have put it in bridge i and put a lan cable in port 1 of the 3bb router and in the wan of the asus router. 

However first go into the asus router and give it an other subnet at the LAN section (i took 192.168.2.1) because the 3bb one will be 192.168.1.1 (if you dont change it before there will be a conflict as both have the same IP adress then). 

once that is done you go to the wan part and put all the data in there. 

• Thanks 1

Late to the discussion but you don't need to enable Bridge Mode (in the network or in the primary router), just uplink from your primary router (3BB) to your secondary router via a GbE cable/port. 

While you can connect the primary and secondary routers wirelessly, you'll probably lose some WLAN performance on the secondary router. This is easier though, physically, obviously.

This set-up may not support all applications, but should support many standard applicaitons including VPN pass-through (configured on the primary 3BB router).

I've set up quite a few 3BB installs using this method. Same-same with AIS Fibre. Fishing and terminating (requires a tool, and ideally, a tester) the GbE cable is by far the hardest part.

Fairly easy to do, quite a few Youtube videos. I usually recommend this one. 

43 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Late to the discussion but you don't need to enable Bridge Mode (in the network or in the primary router), just uplink from your primary router (3BB) to your secondary router via a GbE cable/port. 

While you can connect the primary and secondary routers wirelessly, you'll probably lose some WLAN performance on the secondary router. This is easier though, physically, obviously.

This set-up may not support all applications, but should support many standard applicaitons including VPN pass-through (configured on the primary 3BB router).

I've set up quite a few 3BB installs using this method. Same-same with AIS Fibre. Fishing and terminating (requires a tool, and ideally, a tester) the GbE cable is by far the hardest part.

Fairly easy to do, quite a few Youtube videos. I usually recommend this one. 

That is actually a bad idea (but that is my opinion). Because people like me have a expensive router with more memory and processor speed. So if you keep using your <deleted> modem from 3bb or true your internet will be slower. Because its the older router doing all the calculations and network <deleted>. Its much better to have it in bridge and get full use out of your (more expensive and faster router).

This only applies if you got a good second router.

50 minutes ago, robblok said:

Because people like me have a expensive router with more memory and processor speed. So if you keep using your <deleted> modem from 3bb or true your internet will be slower.

Newer ISP routers here can saturate any provisioned service, with layer 2 and layer 3 forwarding can reach 1 Gbps in the upstream direction and 2 Gbps in the downstream direction.

All of my experience is with AIS and 3BB installs, and we always try to get the newer routers, like the Huawei HG8245W. And have installed quite a few secondary routers. Prefer the GbE uplink method.

What applications do you run which require extraordinary performance?

Agree that older ISP routers are the short straw in some applications.

Just now, mtls2005 said:

Newer ISP routers here can saturate any provisioned service, with layer 2 and layer 3 forwarding can reach 1 Gbps in the upstream direction and 2 Gbps in the downstream direction.

All of my experience is with AIS and 3BB installs, and we always try to get the newer routers, like the Huawei HG8245W. And have installed quite a few secondary routers. Prefer the GbE uplink method.

What applications do you run which require extraordinary performance?

Agree that older ISP routers are the short straw in some applications.

It really depends what kind of router you have, I mean an 8000bt asus router blows whatever 3bb has out of the water based on memory cpu power and configurability. So it makes far more sense to use the better router.

What i run, i have 2 PC's I nas that downloads stuf 2 telephones 2 laptops and 1 or 2 tablets. (of course not always running at the same speed). Mainly its my NAS drive and constant huge (business dropbox updates). 

I have felt the difference in speed and stability. You also notice it when playing games in lag and stuff like that.

I just like having good equipment and a cheap 3bb or true router just does not cut it for what i like. Also on Asus routers you can connect a harddisk or printer and stuff like that. So it makes sense to have the router with the most power to run.

But as i said really depends on what you need and like. 

@mtls2005

I understand that different people have different needs but for those that buy an extra router and if its a good one then it makes no sense to keep the inferior router to do the work. Just like with PC's memory and processor speed do make a difference.

But I got all kinds of high end computer gear, then I want everything to be good and perfect. I have tried 3bb routers and such just found them lacking in configurability and performance (even the new one i got in this new house in september)

For the average user with a slower package and not top of the line equipment it might not be needed. But these people also don't need an extra modem.

I also still try to get my most important stuff wired (not wireless). My 2 computers and laptop and NAS + printer all have utp6 cables for connection. Just those small things in the end make a difference. Its about optimizing it all. 

The NAS drive has a download function that automatically downloads movies and TV series as they appear (once i set it up). It is also used to play movies to my 4K tv. So then network speed becomes an issue if your playing a nice 4k movie that you have downloaded. While my gf is working or doing something. 

Thanks for all the help here (and especially to robblok who pm'd a copy of his ASUS connection settings). I finally put the 3bb into bridge mode and got my ASUS router to connect. It seems that a restart of both routers is advisable too. Speeds almost identical as I don't have any WiFi6 clients yet. When I do, I'll probably get the newer ASUS AX68U (WiFi6). ASUS has more power and more features than the Huawei from 3bb - such as VPN client - so I'm happy. Cheers again!