Fiber optic cable direct to WIFI router

mrmicbkktxl

Hi I just ordered a TP-LINK AX50 WIFI router.My Internet provider is 3bb and I have fiber optic internet.My friend told me I can't connect the fiber optic cable direct with the router I will need to buy also a Fiber Optic Modem.Is that information correct?

13 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Hi I just ordered a TP-LINK AX50 WIFI router.My Internet provider is 3bb and I have fiber optic internet.My friend told me I can't connect the fiber optic cable direct with the router I will need to buy also a Fiber Optic Modem.Is that information correct?

Yes, but 3BB should already have provided you with one of those. All the ISPs I've used in Thailand provide a modem and a router when they install the line.

Edited by Mark1066

5 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

NO - Your friend is talking nonsense. All you need is your router.

Well I will get my router in the next days I will let you know.

"

Fiber optic cables cannot directly connect to the router.

However, the router can work with a fiber optic modem. You can first connect the optic cable to the modem's optic cable port, and connect the modem's LAN port with the router's WAN port using an Ethernet cable."

From Google

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Well I will get my router in the next days I will let you know.

"

Fiber optic cables cannot directly connect to the router.

However, the router can work with a fiber optic modem. You can first connect the optic cable to the modem's optic cable port, and connect the modem's LAN port with the router's WAN port using an Ethernet cable."

From Google

Yes, I just checked the specs on your new router, and it doesn't have the required connection as you say.

You're correct;  you can just plug in an ethernet cable from the 3BB box to your new router. You can also do it wirelessly... Sorry I should have checked the specs first.

image.png

Edited by 2530Ubon

The fibre optic modem your friend is talking about is usually referred to as a GPON or ONU and can be a separate device which is then connected upstream from your router. However most ISP provided routers have the modem built in to a single device.

You need to ask your ISP to enable "bridge mode" which is done at the network center.  After that you can then connect the WAN port of your new router to a LAN port on the 3bb provided router and configure the PPPoE connection on your new router. 

6 minutes ago, thedemon said:

You need to ask your ISP to enable "bridge mode" which is done at the network center.  After that you can then connect the WAN port of your new router to a LAN port on the 3bb provided router and configure the PPPoE connection on your new router. 

This can be done yourself, just type in the IP address of your router - the 3BB one- (usually 192.168.1.1) find bridge mode under settings and enable it.

Edited by 2530Ubon

39 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

They called me again and told me they can't come because my new router is not from 3bb even when I offered to pay they refused.The technician changed to bridge mode,you can't do it by yourself,anyway with bridge mode on I  still couldn't connect.Oh man

15 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

It's not in bridge mode, it's still showing type; routed.

Here's another more advanced instruction page - It has several different methods to bridge a router.

https://pldt.fandom.com/wiki/Bridge_Mode_(fibr)

Yes,they changed it back because I didn't have any internet access

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

They called me again and told me they can't come because my new router is not from 3bb even when I offered to pay they refused.The technician changed to bridge mode,you can't do it by yourself,anyway with bridge mode on I  still couldn't connect.Oh man

Yes, you can change the setting to bridge mode by yourself but it still won't work until it has been provisioned for bridge mode by a technician at the network centre.

The new router that you are using to connect and the ISP supplied router (now acting as an ONT or modem only) must be on different subnets or it won't work.

Therefore if the ISP device has it's LAN IP address set to 192.168.1.1 then you need to use e.g. 192.168.2.1 as the LAN IP for your new router. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Yeah they're not going to be interested in configuring a consumer supplied router and you can't really blame them for that.

In my experience with TOT and AIS fibre the technicians will come even when the system is set to bridge mode but they will plug their own notebook into the ISP device and make a software PPPoE connection using Windows. As long as that works, they consider the configuration of your own router as your problem.

I've got a 3BB Fibre and router with WiFi6. It's actually quite fast but lacks a VPN client. A VPN client is useful if you want to connect an Android Box or Smart TV to an international VPN to get your international flavour of Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer or other region limited content shown on a TV rather than a computer. I wanted to use my ASUS router connect to the 3BB router in Bridge mode but just couldn't get it to work. I think a different subnet is required and that's what I did just making it a repeater. Works a charm now for VPN but would rather not have the big 3BB router as a modem.

Edited by soi3eddie

11 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I've got a 3BB Fibre and router with WiFi6. It's actually quite fast but lacks a VPN client. A VPN client is useful if you want to connect an Android Box or Smart TV to an international VPN to get your international flavour of Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer or other region limited content shown on a TV rather than a computer. I wanted to use my ASUS router connect to the 3BB router in Bridge mode but just couldn't get it to work. I think a different subnet is required and that's what I did just making it a repeater. Works a charm now for VPN but would rather not have the big 3BB router as a modem.

Good morning,I have the same now using the 3BB router as modem,not happy with it but the speed increased by 30% (5GHZ)2.4GHZ speed is about the same, with the TP link router also connection is stronger in our bedrooms upstairs. I wonder why it is so difficult to connect fiber optic with a normal router why all routers and cables can't have the same standard I feel really annoyed.VPN is the next I will try to figure out probably mission impossible

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Good morning,I have the same now using the 3BB router as modem,not happy with it but the speed increased by 30% (5GHZ)2.4GHZ speed is about the same, with the TP link router also connection is stronger in our bedrooms upstairs. I wonder why it is so difficult to connect fiber optic with a normal router why all routers and cables can't have the same standard I feel really annoyed.VPN is the next I will try to figure out probably mission impossible

From this post it sounds like you simply want to take advantage of the increased WiFi speed of your TP Link WiFi router compared to the ISP supplied WiFi router.

If that is the case then bridge mode is not required. You only need to configure the TP Link in "Access Point Mode" then plug a cable into it's WAN port and connect that to one of the ISP router's LAN ports.

Access Point mode will be very easy to configure and disables all routing functions so that you avoid the issues of double NAT.

On 2/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, mrmicbkktxl said:

should not 3bb provide router for you......if your paying for 3 bb internet.??

I have T O T they provide for me......

• Like 1

When 3BB upgraded me to fibre, they installed a new modem/wifi router, all free, he connected his own LT and got near 1GB, my DT setup needed a 1GB LAN card to increase speed, I did that, and now I get around 300 up and down...:thumbsup: 

15 minutes ago, thedemon said:

From this post it sounds like you simply want to take advantage of the increased WiFi speed of your TP Link WiFi router compared to the ISP supplied WiFi router.

If that is the case then bridge mode is not required. You only need to configure the TP Link in "Access Point Mode" then plug a cable into it's WAN port and connect that to one of the ISP router's LAN ports.

Access Point mode will be very easy to configure and disables all routing functions so that you avoid the issues of double NAT.

I did exactly that now but I'm not happy with it I don't want to use the ISP router at all instead I would like to plug the fiber optic cable direct into the TP link router but not possible.My bad I didn't get enough information before I bought new router

8 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I did exactly that now but I'm not happy with it I don't want to use the ISP router at all instead I would like to plug the fiber optic cable direct into the TP link router but not possible.My bad I didn't get enough information before I bought new router

I wanted to do the same however it appears that, other than ISP supplied modem routers (3bb supply Huawei), a separate modem is needed. The mainstream aftermarket manufacturers such as TP-Link, D-Link, Asus, Netgear and Belkin etc. don't seem to offer a single box fibre modem/router solution. If anyone knows of one please post.