How to pay for a vehicle

Not new to Thailand, but I'm finally here for the long haul and looking at a large purchase (~500K baht).

My Bangkok bank app states a limit of 200K transfer.

How does one pay for a large purchase here? In the US it's a simple cashiers check.

Edited by Suphawk

When we bought out new Vios, from the local Toyota Dealership, they insisted on a cash payment for the car.  Walking around with close to 800,000 in  a bag made me a bit nervous.  Good job we were not buying a 15 million Baht Ferrari. In very many ways, Thailand is still stuck in the 1960s. It gives an excellent impression of being a modern thriving State, but it is peopled  and governed by an immature, unsophisticated population.     

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The two cars I have bought I got the details from the agency ( exact amount and full name of recipient/company) went to my bank and asked for a cashiers cheque  ( circa 750/800k ) it was issued there and then. Back to the agency, handed over the cheque and drove away .

Used cash for motorcycle ( circa 60k ).

• Like 2

You can increase your transfer limit (the higher limits work with a recipient of the same bank) 

i.e. SCB 500k and use mBanking or internet Banking to make the transfer.

OR mostly commonly, obtain a Cashiers Check from the Bank, or just go to the Bank and get cash. 

If a private sale (2nd Hand Car) - you then have to decide upon the order of transfer. 

When selling a car we have always gone to the Bank first, paid the money in (Cashiers check or Cash) then gone straight to  the DLT to transfer the car, or sign over Power of Attorney forms for the buyer to do the paperwork himself. 

In my experience, Thai's are ok with the Power of Attorney form and driving the car away. Westerners want to do the transfer of ownership at the DLT and make sure everything is above board.

[Been here over 20 years - Bought 6 and sold 5 cars in that time]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Suphawk said:

How does one pay for a large purchase here?

I made a purchase of a new car at a dealership, initial cash deposit of 10,000 baht, when the car was arriving a week or so later the dealer called me to watch the car being unloaded off of the truck, he then got his staff to take it for a wash while I walked down to the bank and transferred the balance to his dealerships account from my bank.

• Like 2

I have bought over time, 2 cars and a double cab pickup - all new from dealer.   As others have mentioned, each time I made a small deposit in cash and then paid the balance with a cashier's check from a Bangkok Bank branch here in Pattaya.  The pickup was my last purchase. I ordered from dealer in Pattaya, but had to go to Rayong dealer to pick it up. The Rayong dealer charged a small fee because the cashier's check was from another province.

On 2/2/2021 at 12:05 PM, Suphawk said:

500000 cash, well, I guess. Just seems like a lot to carry around. 

Just bout a new car and asked the best way, was told cash, so went to bvank and got 1.5m in cash and took it to Dealers

A girl then had to sit there and count it out !

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2021 at 11:47 AM, Suphawk said:

Not new to Thailand, but I'm finally here for the long haul and looking at a large purchase (~500K baht).

My Bangkok bank app states a limit of 200K transfer.

How does one pay for a large purchase here? In the US it's a simple cashiers check.

aren't you able to reset your daily limit? My daily limit with TMB was also 200k. I'm in the same position and I was able to change my daily limit in the settings to 1 million baht so I can pay for a new car by electronic funds transfer. Car dealer was quite happy to give me their bank account details so payment could be made this way. Once payment is made will login again and reduce the daily limit accordingly.

Edited by TigerandDog
additional information

20 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Recently I paid my new Isuzu MU-X in cash.

The lady had to count the money by hand.

1.3 million Baht? How many times did they count it? I bought a new Hilux some years ago and paid 900,000+ in cash. 

1 minute ago, soi3eddie said:

1.3 million Baht? How many times did they count it? I bought a new Hilux some years ago and paid 900,000+ in cash. 

1.3?

1.57 you mean, and she counted only one time, it was a lucent glass table and I had a nice view on her legs, but she was ready in about 25 minutes.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 1:05 PM, Suphawk said:

500000 cash, well, I guess. Just seems like a lot to carry around. 

That’s one thing I find difficult to understand... tote around cash and some holeass robs you..  to dangerous..

Same in China we ( wife Chinese her name) bought a condo and I was on a travel plan throughout Asia I be gone 60-90 at a click..

It was kinda nice $70 USD per diem made some extra cash... 

wife calls I’m traveling she needs to get cash from our account and take it to the buyers bank to complete deal..  I flipped out she didn’t drive then used public transit... so I was <deleted>ting my pants until money was handed over...

US I rarely carried more than $20 USD I’d been robbed by gun point and knife it’s no fun... 

anyway i think its nuts... 

gunpoint I was with my fathers was early 20s... you think ah if somebody tries rib I’ll do this.. there were 7 customers on the floor 

face and demanded to give all valuables .. I was in good shape in 

70s 6ft tall not afraid of fighting.. but that gun pointed at me my 

money flew out pocket (I’d just cashed paycheck) my Dad said he looked over and he couldn’t my eyes open.. I was hope they shot 

any of us..

Two armed robbers one shot and killed going out by police other

caught a block away.. got money that back.. scary stuff.

be careful..

When we traded our older DMAX in on MUX the new car dealer took us to their bank.. gave us the cash they gave us for used truck 

350k and then back to dealer.. and we fill out paperwork and hand 

the dealer the cash.. strange for sure.. Isuzu new car sales lot..

be careful..,

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 12:05 PM, Airalee said:

I paid a cash deposit when my offer was accepted and then the balance with a cashiers check.

I did exactly the same,its simple and safe.

My thai seller,then took the check straight to her bank to deposit.

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

That’s one thing I find difficult to understand... tote around cash and some holeass robs you..  to dangerous..

Same in China we ( wife Chinese her name) bought a condo and I was on a travel plan throughout Asia I be gone 60-90 at a click..

It was kinda nice $70 USD per diem made some extra cash... 

wife calls I’m traveling she needs to get cash from our account and take it to the buyers bank to complete deal..  I flipped out she didn’t drive then used public transit... so I was <deleted>ting my pants until money was handed over...

US I rarely carried more than $20 USD I’d been robbed by gun point and knife it’s no fun... 

anyway i think its nuts... 

gunpoint I was with my fathers was early 20s... you think ah if somebody tries rib I’ll do this.. there were 7 customers on the floor 

face and demanded to give all valuables .. I was in good shape in 

70s 6ft tall not afraid of fighting.. but that gun pointed at me my 

money flew out pocket (I’d just cashed paycheck) my Dad said he looked over and he couldn’t my eyes open.. I was hope they shot 

any of us..

Two armed robbers one shot and killed going out by police other

caught a block away.. got money that back.. scary stuff.

be careful..

When we traded our older DMAX in on MUX the new car dealer took us to their bank.. gave us the cash they gave us for used truck 

350k and then back to dealer.. and we fill out paperwork and hand 

the dealer the cash.. strange for sure.. Isuzu new car sales lot..

be careful..,

It seems to be quite common for Thais to withdraw large sums of cash, I saw one woman at Kasikorn put a couple of housebricks of 1000 baht notes into a large handbag. 100,000 baht withdrawals are not unusual.

That's a year's pay for many Thais, it's amazing there are not more robberies.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:47 AM, Suphawk said:

How does one pay for a large purchase here?

I paid my vehicles in cash, and also when buying property. Some banks limits cash withdrawal to 1,999,999 baht, i.e. pay 1 baht and get 2 million in cash (from your own savings). Might be difficult to cash larger amounts, i.e. more than some few hundred thousand baht, in branches outside your "home branch area" (might be province) without an agreement in advance.

Cashier's check might work equally well, but ask the car dealer before you payment day...????

Edited by khunPer
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 12:43 PM, Pilotman said:

When we bought out new Vios, from the local Toyota Dealership, they insisted on a cash payment for the car.  Walking around with close to 800,000 in  a bag made me a bit nervous.  Good job we were not buying a 15 million Baht Ferrari. In very many ways, Thailand is still stuck in the 1960s. It gives an excellent impression of being a modern thriving State, but it is peopled  and governed by an immature, unsophisticated population.     

What are you on about? Just like the US, it can be done with a simple cashier's check.

• Confused 1

On 2/2/2021 at 12:43 PM, Pilotman said:

Thailand remains mostly a cash only service, it allows for corruption and tax evasion... it's not so much stuck in the past, the past works nicely so no need to change.

• Like 2