Lights out: Brexit shuts off market for English cheese truckles

snoop1130

On 2/2/2021 at 11:41 AM, ukrules said:

If they're not then they soon will be plus a lot more besides.

Two can play at this game.

Target all major imports from the EU to the UK and ramp up the paperwork requirements and certification.

Can you still buy French cheeses in the UK?

Bit late moaning and whinging now about the rules that applies to all non-EU countries. The government could have negotiated listed status - like Australia and New Zealand have, but just like pet passports, decided that they knew best, so didn't bother.

I doubt any ministers own cheese factories or something far more beneficial would have occurred.

To be fair, the market for English cheese truckles is unaffected by Brexit.  However, suppliers of English cheese truckles based outside the EU have always had trouble accessing that market, and now the government has moved the UK outside the EU, so we will have to compete on a level footing with suppliers of English cheese truckles from traditional dairy suppliers like New Zealand and Canada.

The government has recommended that suppliers set up a local company in the EU and route their shipments in bulk there to be further distributed.  For cheese trucklers, they could probably cut out the middleman by sourcing their english cheeses in one of the dairy-producing countries of the EU as well.

When you look at it that way, it really is a win - win situation. 

1 minute ago, tebee said:

a win - win situation for everybody outside the UK..........

That's what I just said.
That is what you get when you elect to leave a win-win situation.

On the bright side, my children are well educated, and will easily be able to get jobs in Europe or elsewhere albeit at lower salaries than they might have due to the extra costs of employment, and, like most voters for Brexit, I will probably be dead before we reach the nadir of our stupidity.  Maybe I should start smoking, just in case.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2021 at 5:51 PM, vogie said:

Why should anybody believe the prophets of doom, from what most British citizens have seen coming out of the EU in the last 4 years is not enough to change anyones minds, infact it has just reinforced it even more. And what with your Leader UvL malicious intentions in the last few days, all it has done is  united the Brexiteers and the remainers (not those on here of course, too far gone I suspect), they now realise just how vindictive the EU can be. It is just about a month now since we left the Jolly Boys Club and already everybody wants to see the demise of the UK, I believe shortly that the UK will greatly surpass the beaurocratic EU economically and then it will be a matter of hard cheddar Euros.

Back in the day, Bangladeshi cheese-smugglers could not easily bring in Edam truckles or Red Leicester truckles to the European Union.  We chose to put our selves with the Bangladeshis rather than the Edamis.

We have chosen our bed, and rejected our place in the marital bed of the EU.   That is what happens when you ask for a divorce.

But at least we are free to choose the colour of our passports
SC

15 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Back in the day, Bangladeshi cheese-smugglers could not easily bring in Edam truckles or Red Leicester truckles to the European Union.  We chose to put our selves with the Bangladeshis rather than the Edamis.

We have chosen our bed, and rejected our place in the marital bed of the EU.   That is what happens when you ask for a divorce.

SC

yes, you are still free to choose, as you have been during your whole eec/eu membership

58 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, you are still free to choose, as you have been during your whole eec/eu membership

We like blue cheese too.