Thailand gives green light to personalised car registration plates - road safety fund to benefit

webfact

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Personal plate of    YOUR TO CLOSE

My number in Texas "2 NEAR"...........................in 4 years only on lady in a parking lot noted it..............all other road users seemed to come closer to read it.

Money went to Parks & Recreation or the like

• Like 1

I am SOOOO grateful, that this finally is possible and that they got their priorities right.

Instead of proper driving tests and, after an initial grace period, lifelong licenses (which can be lost in case of breach of driving codex) we now are blessed with personalized plates increasing road safety. Really? 

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is equally delighted to know, that Daily News is using him among 8+ billion citizen of Planet Earth as example for vehicle plating abbreviation. 

This government is developing departmental excursions which boggle the longer the more minds ......... well done! 

On 2/3/2021 at 10:53 AM, colinneil said:

Can somebody/ anybody explain to me how road safety is going to benefit?

What a priceless, totally useless thing to say.

Just like some other countries have personalized plates, that money goes either to the fund or to the city to improve the roads,road signs,traffic lights,CCTV etc.  Did I explain it? 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:15 AM, Sydebolle said:

I am SOOOO grateful, that this finally is possible and that they got their priorities right.

Instead of proper driving tests and, after an initial grace period, lifelong licenses (which can be lost in case of breach of driving codex) we now are blessed with personalized plates increasing road safety. Really? 

There is no life long license in Thailand, first license is good for 2 yrs and then has to renewed every 5 yrs. Either you don't have license or you just wanted to say something bad. Be grateful to be here living as a guest. But of course if you moved here from the best country in the world have no problems,everything you have there is best in the world then criticize anything you want but only if your country is the best of the best. How you feel a foreigner moved to your country and bitching about anything and everything? You would tell him/her to go back to your nest right? That's why most Thais don't like foreigners, because most foreigners have no respect to their country and it's people. Then you feel bad when they call you dirty farang.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:49 AM, Derek B said:

My number in Texas "2 NEAR"...........................in 4 years only on lady in a parking lot noted it..............all other road users seemed to come closer to read it.

Money went to Parks & Recreation or the like

Depends on the state, some percentage goes to road improvement fund.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:39 AM, sambum said:

Or even "YOU'RE TOO CLOSE" (don't know if apostrophes are allowed!) or "YOU'RE TO CLOSE" implying that something hasn't been paid!

Or even ‘YOU YOU CLOSE’. woops

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sencelebi said:

There is no life long license in Thailand, first license is good for 2 yrs and then has to renewed every 5 yrs. Either you don't have license or you just wanted to say something bad. Be grateful to be here living as a guest. But of course if you moved here from the best country in the world have no problems,everything you have there is best in the world then criticize anything you want but only if your country is the best of the best. How you feel a foreigner moved to your country and bitching about anything and everything? You would tell him/her to go back to your nest right? That's why most Thais don't like foreigners, because most foreigners have no respect to their country and it's people. Then you feel bad when they call you dirty farang.

Respect one has to deserve, getting treated as a walking ATM not shows much respect..........................

On 2/7/2021 at 1:05 AM, sencelebi said:

Just to put the record straight. Once you‘ve finished tree hugging and farang bashing you might be interested, that the elder generation having lived here since the early 80s (like me) sit on a lifelong driving license.

For unknown reasons that has been changed, my kids and grandkids do not have this privilege - despite being born and not naturalized Thais. Capito? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Just to put the record straight. Once you‘ve finished tree hugging and farang bashing you might be interested, that the elder generation having lived here since the early 80s (like me) sit on a lifelong driving license.

For unknown reasons that has been changed, my kids and grandkids do not have this privilege - despite being born and not naturalized Thais. Capito? 

The lifetime licences were issued all the way up to 2003, so there will be plenty still around.

Actually, the BKK Post archives state licences issued before 2003 were lifetime licences but I'm sure that they had stopped issuing them a couple of years previous to the BP's date.

My wife holds a full lifetime licence (from the provinces) and has never sat behind the wheel in her life.

Edited by Bert got kinky

• 3 months later...

There is only one personalised plate in the world worth having and that is <deleted>2 ( not sure why you can not list a factual UK registration plate but then TIT  so just look at link below, and is now owned by Hanna Smart of the Smart's circus fame. Originally of course it was owned by  Paul Raymond when Fionna Richmond was his girlfriend.

The Smart's also have  BS 1 by the way which could be apt for Thailand.

https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/customer-stories/fu2

Edited by Excel

On 2/3/2021 at 10:53 AM, colinneil said:

Can somebody/ anybody explain to me how road safety is going to benefit?

What a priceless, totally useless thing to say.

Oh dear me, what a difficult choice for people... to continue on with those completely anonymous faded unreadable plates that cannot be read by man nor machine, or show the Big IAM with a personalized plate.....

I shall simply change my name to กงท 159

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2021 at 3:02 PM, Bert got kinky said:

Also if someone pays for personalized plates then they are less likely to blank them out (whitewash them), so the speed cameras will have a better chance of catching speeders/dangerous drivers.

So true unfortunately. My wife has personalised plates and has clocked up 7 tickets in a year.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:43 PM, saminoz said:

These HiSo Thais can pay millions for the dream plat but I will still just see "squiggle squiggle squiggle" 666

No different to what a lot of non-English speakers in the UK would see.  Some of the attempts at a private plate in the UK are laughable especially the ones where they've spent £500 on the plate and stuck it on a 25 year old Morris Marina that's worth £120.  

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 1:05 AM, sencelebi said:

There is no life long license in Thailand

Wrong.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:14 PM, Bert got kinky said:

The lifetime licences were issued all the way up to 2003, so there will be plenty still around.

Correct. I have my car one from the 90's now renewed to the new photocard format (it was previously just a laminated piece of paper that was falling apart).

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 3:21 AM, Soikhaonoiken said:

I always thought they already had personal number plates,  I have seen many what appeared to be personalised Numbers... ????

Correct, I'm wondering what the significant difference is

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 14.38.20.png

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 14.38.07.png

F7760469-4062-4E1B-A1AD-B3D0B1EFF814_1_105_c.jpeg