Thailand's porous borders: Dozens of illegal Cambodian workers nabbed with their Thai enablers

webfact

Thailand's porous borders: Dozens of illegal Cambodian workers nabbed with their Thai enablers

7pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Thailand's immigration authorities continued their work to shore up their porous borders. 

They announced four cases where they had arrested dozens of illegal Cambodian workers who had sneaked in and were being transported by Thais for money.

IB chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang appeared at a press conference with senior IB leaders from Chanthaburi and Sa Kaew provinces that border Cambodia. 

In the first case near the Ban Laem checkpoint Wutthipong, 64, was arrested. He was transporting 6 Cambodians in a Ford. He was charged with conspiracy to engage in illegal immigration and aiding and abetting that while the workers faced charges of illegal entry. 

In a second case in Chanthaburi Nathee, 26, was nabbed with six Cambodians in an isuzu D-Max. Both these cases were being expanded to find the ringleaders being them.

In Sa Kaeo province in Ban Thap Phrik sub-district of Aranyaprathet Jakkrit, 32, was arrested in a Mitsubishi Triton. Packed in like sardines were 13 Cambodians. This arrest was after information supplied by an informant.

Apart from illegal entry charges they were all charged under the terms of the 2005 emergency decree for illegal gathering too.

The Cambodians had no documents and had been hired to cut sugar cane in Wattana Nakhon district of Sa Kaeo. 

Hia Lek was their boss and a Cambodian agent called "Ea" got 800 baht a head to arrange their movements. 

They had sneaked over at a natural border though they couldn't say where exactly. 

In a final case a Cambodian called Yort was caught driving four compatriots in a Toyota Mighty-X. The illegals had paid 500 baht to cross to Thailand and were set to work polishing second hand shoes in the Rong Klua market. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-03

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

Is it still human trafficking if they're queuing up for the opportunity for a better life than they had back home?

Human trafficking is one of those terms, like racism, whose meaning has been expanded to suit the rhetorical needs of extremists and the funding needs of NGOs.

It now includes consensual transport of people, the key determinant is that someone is "making money" from the transaction. It does not even have to involve the illegal smuggling of people across borders.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Is it still human trafficking if they're queuing up for the opportunity for a better life than they had back home?  With an opportunity to remit some each month to help out the family in the old country?

Yes, because the traffickers are exploiting the desperate people's vulnerability and making huge amounts of cash in the process. That definitely qualifies as trafficking, consensual or not.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Yes, because the traffickers are exploiting the desperate people's vulnerability and making huge amounts of cash in the process. That definitely qualifies as trafficking, consensual or not.

So do cancer hospitals and pawn shops.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thailand should be back at the top of every list for human trafficking.... 

UK, Europe and USA should ban all products from Thailand using slave labour... time to put an end to it.

But but but in Australia they ban monkey slave labor now no more coconut milk from monkey slaves

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

So do cancer hospitals and pawn shops.  

Cancer hospitals and pawn shops don't traffic people, as far as I know. They do exploit vulnerable people of course. What is your point

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

But but but in Australia they ban monkey slave labor now no more coconut milk from monkey slaves

Ever since then, I'm afraid to make my dog chase the tennis ball.  Don't want to get in trouble with the Aussies.

Strangely, my dog seems sad now that I'm not exploiting her.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Ever since then, I'm afraid to make my dog chase the tennis ball.  Don't want to get in trouble with the Aussies.

Have you taking your medicine yet if not it is time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Cancer hospitals and pawn shops don't traffic people, as far as I know. They do exploit vulnerable people of course. What is your point

My point is that some people want to be "trafficked".  It improves their economic situation and the quality of their lives.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

Get a grip son.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Meat Pie 47 said:

Yeah,  I saw that.  But it seems to me that giving the monkeys something to do is a lot like me throwing the tennis ball for my dog to fetch.  Or having her fetch the ducks.  Otherwise, the lay around all day and look pretty bored.

Just now, impulse said:

Yeah,  I saw that.  But it seems to me that giving the monkeys something to do is a lot like me throwing the tennis ball for my dog to fetch.  Or having her fetch the ducks.  Otherwise, the lay around all day and look pretty bored.

Are you <deleted> again?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

The ducks are bored?