How The Pandemic Has Upended The Lives Of Thailand's Sex Workers

webfact

On 2/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

You contradict yourself, saying it is hidden away and then talking about the number of 'adverts' in phone boxes. My wife found them amusing. But I know what you mean. The difference is that in most countries and cities - like London - it plays a very tiny part in the economy. In Thailand, as the closed businesses show, it plays a far larger part. Such as in Pattaya, where I doubt many went primarily for the beaches (sorry, bearing in mind your user name ???? ).

And if you have travelled to many cities in continental Europe the sex business is very far from being hidden away because it is legal. Not much hypocrisy there.

Euro 2006 Barry 127.jpg

It's hidden in that legal prostitution isn't "in your face" like it is in Pattaya. Legal in London is in flats, in NZ in brothels. In Singapore in the 70s brothels were legal, but one had to ask a taxi driver to take one there as they didn't have signs. Mind you, one didn't normally have to ask as the first thing a taxi driver said after a single male got in was "nice girl"? I've never been to Amsterdam, but I doubt they have the window girls on the high street, whereas in Pattaya the "high street" FEATURES the bar girls.

Such as in Pattaya, where I doubt many went primarily for the beaches (sorry, bearing in mind your user name  ).

No need to apologise- Thai beaches were always with a pretty bargirl for me. I doubt I'd have gone alone. However it would have made my username a bit long to include that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's hidden in that legal prostitution isn't "in your face" like it is in Pattaya. Legal in London is in flats, in NZ in brothels. In Singapore in the 70s brothels were legal, but one had to ask a taxi driver to take one there as they didn't have signs. Mind you, one didn't normally have to ask as the first thing a taxi driver said after a single male got in was "nice girl"? I've never been to Amsterdam, but I doubt they have the window girls on the high street, whereas in Pattaya the "high street" FEATURES the bar girls.

Such as in Pattaya, where I doubt many went primarily for the beaches (sorry, bearing in mind your user name  ).

No need to apologise- Thai beaches were always with a pretty bargirl for me. I doubt I'd have gone alone. However it would have made my username a bit long to include that.

One huge difference is that the prostitutes in Europe are 100% focused on sex.  While the same can be said for the Beach Road hookers in Pattaya, quite a few bargirls make their money through ladydrinks and are looking for a long-time customer or for something more permanent.  European hookers are strictly short-time only!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

One huge difference is that the prostitutes in Europe are 100% focused on sex.  While the same can be said for the Beach Road hookers in Pattaya, quite a few bargirls make their money through ladydrinks and are looking for a long-time customer or for something more permanent.  European hookers are strictly short-time only!

Agreed. I doubt anyone would pay a prostitute in the UK to go to the beach for a month with them. The Thai version is more like a temporary girlfriend than a hooker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed. I doubt anyone would pay a prostitute in the UK to go to the beach for a month with them. The Thai version is more like a temporary girlfriend than a hooker.

Indeed.  And very few UK prostitutes would be interested in being taken on holiday by a doe-eyed, client who had fallen for them!

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doubt is a UK hooker would agree to go with you, they have another 50 customers to fit in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 6:35 AM, Laza 45 said:

Self-righteous moralizing serves no purpose..

Speaking of morals. I for one am not interested to hear if and when a local speaks to me about morals...Funny how in the schools these teachers believe (programmed) in their so called morals as though they actually adhere to them..while lacking much critical thought beyond appearances.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Indeed.  And very few UK prostitutes would be interested in being taken on holiday by a doe-eyed, client who had fallen for them!

I would not be surprised to learn that most are in relationships already, and not free to wander off for weeks at a time.

BTW I did not mention anything about "falling for them". I was never "in love" with any Thai bargirl that I associated with, but most were good travelling companions and pleasant to sleep with. End of the holiday was usually the last time I ever saw them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'd change that to "the prostitutes in Europe are 100% focused on money".

I would not be surprised to learn that most are in relationships already, and not free to wander off for weeks at a time.

BTW I did not mention anything about "falling for them". I was never "in love" with any Thai bargirl that I associated with, but most were good travelling companions and pleasant to sleep with. End of the holiday was usually the last time I ever saw them.

A large number of Thai bargirls are also in relationships but it doesn't stop them reeling in a long-term payment opportunity!

I wasn't referring to you personally, although actually I did end up settling down with someone who had started out, 5 years earlier, as just a regular.  

I'd change that to "the prostitutes in Europe are 100% focused on money".

My bad phrasing.  Absolutely it's 100% about money, both in Europe and Thailand.  Even Thai bargirls are not going to "fall in love" with a customer who doesn't have money!  They're just prepared to play a long game, unlike their European counterparts!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My bad phrasing.  Absolutely it's 100% about money, both in Europe and Thailand.  Even Thai bargirls are not going to "fall in love" with a customer who doesn't have money!  They're just prepared to play a long game, unlike their European counterparts!

My former Brit wife played the long game for 30 odd years before taking me for all she could (around 600,000 pounds).

The bargirl that's lived with me for 10kbht/month the past 4 years is a bargain in comparison, and a lot nicer to live with.

You show me a guy with no money, and I'll show you a single guy.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course not, that's because there are no decent beaches in the UK.   ????

Seriously though, there are many websites with attractive young ladies offering the "girlfriend experience" with the extras, for those who are willing to pay.

Affordability is the main reason many come to Thailand.  

On 2/4/2021 at 3:05 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Actually for what it's worth, it's not that much up here in Isaan, e.g. my wife has two sons who attend college and her sister who is a single mum has a daughter who is finishing University.

I provide my wife with a weekly allowance which covers all of the kids school allowances and her sister who pays for her daughters University as mentioned, she is a single mother selling fruit, she also has another child attending a private Catholic school which I think is the most expensive at 10,000 baht per term, she's making a modest wage and seems to get by and was a bargirl many years ago having not gone to high school as the parents couldn't afford to send her to school back then.

Private catholic school for 10k a term? My girls are in pre kindy at a private catholic school in isaan. In the English program and its 35k a term. That's for kindy. I sussed all the private schools in my area and the cheapest was 17k a term in the non English program so your doing quite well tbh.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 5:15 AM, Leaver said:

Of course not, that's because there are no decent beaches in the UK.   ????

Seriously though, there are many websites with attractive young ladies offering the "girlfriend experience" with the extras, for those who are willing to pay.

Affordability is the main reason many come to Thailand.  

Perhaps so, but I have no doubt out of reach of the ordinary bloke.

Indeed, Thai ladies were affordable for the ordinary bloke, which leads one to wonder why so many western men preferred to pay large to go to Thailand rather than find a "free" GF in their own country? In my case it was because western women I met just were not good GF potential- too PC to love.

19 hours ago, starky said:

Private catholic school for 10k a term? My girls are in pre kindy at a private catholic school in isaan. In the English program and its 35k a term. That's for kindy. I sussed all the private schools in my area and the cheapest was 17k a term in the non English program so your doing quite well tbh.

Wow, that sounds like a lot, but I know different schools charge different prices, whether it makes a difference, I have no idea.

Our daughters are both in IEP classes and English is also taught in those classes, both born outside of Thailand they speak English at home with dad and both Thai and English with mum.

One now completing year 5 and the other year 3 kindy, just brought up my records, for the both girls, in November for the term it was 15,687 baht naturally that doesn't include books or uniforms.

I also went back to May the previous term for both girls it cost 14,320 baht so that's about 30,000 baht per year for both girls, or 15,000 baht per head per year, that doesn't include books or uniforms of course which are on top of those figures.

The above said, it all depends on the schools I suppose.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Wow, that sounds like a lot, but I know different schools charge different prices, whether it makes a difference, I have no idea.

Our daughters are both in IEP classes and English is also taught in those classes, both born outside of Thailand they speak English at home with dad and both Thai and English with mum.

One now completing year 5 and the other year 3 kindy, just brought up my records, for the both girls, in November for the term it was 15,687 baht naturally that doesn't include books or uniforms.

I also went back to May the previous term for both girls it cost 14,320 baht so that's about 30,000 baht per year for both girls, or 15,000 baht per head per year, that doesn't include books or uniforms of course which are on top of those figures.

The above said, it all depends on the schools I suppose.  

No I don't think it does make a significant difference especially with English programs in schools here. In my experience and I've tried the girls in three so called international schools the English programs were atrocious at best. As you say English at home is the way to go. If anything if you are intending on going into senior or tertiary education here it is my understanding  some better schools may give access to higher learning that would be hard to access from "lesser" schools for want of a better word.

Tip toeing around the topic for obvious reasons but im sure you understand my implication ????

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 4:45 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps so, but I have no doubt out of reach of the ordinary bloke.

Indeed, Thai ladies were affordable for the ordinary bloke, which leads one to wonder why so many western men preferred to pay large to go to Thailand rather than find a "free" GF in their own country? In my case it was because western women I met just were not good GF potential- too PC to love.

Western girls looking for a Sugar Daddy are not free, or cheap.

Thai ladies may be affordable, but only if the guy keeps it real. 

How many of these "affordable" Thai ladies have sent their farang home broke?  ????

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

How many of these "affordable" Thai ladies have sent their farang home broke?  ????

The old saying “A fool and their money is soon parted” applies even in LOS

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

IMO, not many men are prepared to say that they were taken for a fool by a Thai girl, so we'll never know, IMO.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:05 AM, starky said:

No I don't think it does make a significant difference especially with English programs in schools here. In my experience and I've tried the girls in three so called international schools the English programs were atrocious at best. As you say English at home is the way to go. If anything if you are intending on going into senior or tertiary education here it is my understanding  some better schools may give access to higher learning that would be hard to access from "lesser" schools for want of a better word.

Tip toeing around the topic for obvious reasons but im sure you understand my implication ????

Oh I totally relate to this.

Our son was born in Singapore, and when he was a baby we came up with the plan that I only spoke to him in English and Mandarin, Mom only Thai and Lao, upshot he grew up totally fluent in all four.

So fast forward to when we moved to Thailand when he was in a Singaporean middle school. We got him in to what was supposedly the best 'international' school in KK.

The corrections to his English homework were enough to make you either laugh or cry.

I remember a rather comical teacher/parent conference. 

I speak fluent Thai and Lao, we were discussing his performance, in Thai, then I switched into English, and this so called English teacher could barely string together a coherent sentence.

After that encounter I came firmly to the opinion that in the Thai educational system, you most certainly do NOT get what you pay for!

Edited by GinBoy2

On 2/16/2021 at 3:25 AM, RJRS1301 said:

The old saying “A fool and their money is soon parted” applies even in LOS

It's not just the fools.  A lot of intelligent guys end up fleeced here.  The "my girl is different" syndrome.   

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 4:31 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO, not many men are prepared to say that they were taken for a fool by a Thai girl, so we'll never know, IMO.

Whether it's embarrassment or shame, or both, they don't like to talk about it, but there's thousands of victims, over many decades.  

Many work hard all their life, retire to Thailand, then see their wealth distributed among a Thai family in a village in Issan.  Then, when there's no more wealth to give, and their used by date is up, the Thai lady is gone.  

What should have been a happy retirement here, ends with many going home broke and onto benefits.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Many work hard all their life, retire to Thailand, then see their wealth distributed among a Thai family in a village in Issan.  Then, when there's no more wealth to give, and their used by date is up, the Thai lady is gone.  

What should have been a happy retirement here, ends with many going home broke and onto benefits.   

Never a problem for me as I have no wealth, only pensions.

And the worst that could happen to my pension is I spend it before the end of the month, in which case it's rice and whatever is left in the chest freezer to eat, and tea without milk to drink until next month.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Never a problem for me as I have no wealth, only pensions.

And the worst that could happen to my pension is I spend it before the end of the month, in which case it's rice and whatever is left in the chest freezer to eat, and tea without milk to drink until next month.

I guess if you have anything left towards the end of the month, you party hard.  ????

On 2/4/2021 at 4:19 PM, WineOh said:

Yes.

You are right.

I myself come from a relatively poor family and not one of them (including me) is a sex worker.

Some clean toilets, others work in factories and some drive BMW's and have big houses.

The latter having done the hard work when they were young and are now reaping the fruits of their labor.

Still, not one of them asks me for a penny or sells their bottoms to tourists. 

Sure - and you probably come from a country where there are more opportunities for a variety of jobs and you are not expected to help support your poor family. In fact, I notice you were careful to stipulate having a 'relatively' poor family. That would be relative to where you come from, no doubt. I'm sure you didn't come from the same level of poverty some of these girls do; you may even come from a country that has a welfare system that provides a safety net they don't have. So your attempt at drawing a parallel doesn't really fly...    

But anyway, why judge in the first place? What harm are they doing? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 12:36 AM, BangkokReady said:

What are you saying with this?  You don't believe them?

I am sceptical. I have met many men with Thai girlfriends/wives and not one has ever stated that their girlfriend/wife was a bar girl/prostitute before their relationship  They have said their partner worked as a house maid, cook, cleaner etc etc all types of employment not associated with the "entertainment" industry. I know the stigma placed on a woman connected with the entertainment industry and don't want it to be known.  I am aware that some relationships were formed and the woman did not work in the entertainment industry. I have no prejudice towards "working' girls, I associate with them regularly when I come to Thailand