GLO announces bounty to nail lottery price gougers

webfact

GLO announces bounty to nail lottery price gougers

By THE NATION

800_ad8d223842d9f41.jpg?v=1612399870

The Government Lottery Office (GLO) has come out with a Bt1,000 cash reward for citizens who provide information on lottery price gouging, while officials who make arrests will be rewarded according to the fine in each case but not exceeding Bt2,000, director-general Boonsong Jantrisri said on Wednesday.

“We hope the cash reward will encourage people to become the eyes and ears for officials and consequentially stop sellers from raising the price above the legal limit,” he said.

The GLO is also revising the penalty for lottery price gouging, which had been stipulated in the Government Lottery Office Act of 1974 and states that offenders will face Bt2,000 in fines.

“We aim to increase the fine to Bt10,000 to discourage would-be offenders,” Boonsong said.

He added that in the past four year (2017-2020), 22,153 lottery price gougers were arrested nationwide – 2,339 in 2017, 6,240 in 2018, 7,527 in 2019 and 6,047 last year.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402218

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-02-04

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

The correct price is 80 baht per ticket and when I lived in Thailand (pre Covid-19), were readily available at that price at most large supermarkets such as Tesco (where I used to buy mine), BigC  and MAKRO. Living out in the sticks, for me the better value was the illegal "village" lottery based on the winning numbers of the legal lottery. It offered "odds" on how much you paid, from 1 baht upwards (50 baht for me) per number selection. I have won two 30,000 baht "prizes" and several smaller, but substantial, amounts during my time and far more than I did on the legal lottery. In the village we could also bet on the Singapore lottery. 

That's not just a village thing, very easy to find someone to take your numbers in Bangkok. A lot of people buy a ticket or two for the official lottery but put a whole lot more on the underground version. 90 baht's the best price around here but everyone knows the vendors aren't price-gouging. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, KhaoNiaw said:

That's not just a village thing, very easy to find someone to take your numbers in Bangkok. A lot of people buy a ticket or two for the official lottery but put a whole lot more on the underground version. 90 baht's the best price around here (single ticket) but everyone knows the vendors aren't price-gouging. 

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Living out in the sticks, for me the better value was the illegal "village" lottery based on the winning numbers of the legal lottery. It offered "odds" on how much you paid, from 1 baht upwards (50 baht for me) per number selection. I have won two 30,000 baht "prizes" and several smaller, but substantial, amounts during my time and far more than I did on the legal lottery. In the village we could also bet on the Singapore lottery. 

have you really been paid off before? I always thought this black lottery was a complete scam. I can not imagine a "village-kingpin" handing out the lottery prize in cash to a farang.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jackinthebox said:

have you really been paid off before? I always thought this black lottery was a complete scam. I can not imagine a "village-kingpin" handing out the lottery prize in cash to a farang.

Yes, always got my winnings in cash, never a problem and not a scam. One of my 30,000 baht wins was in 20,50,100 and 500 baht notes handed to me in a plastic bag. The local "kingpin" was a family member!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Why do they need reports, I'm in Pattaya and I have seen ฿80 price once in 3 years.

Out side,  side entrance to Big-C Sukhumvit  Jomtiem  ( car park area) 80 baht

Chaiyaphruek  2,  Jomtiem  right hand side, just after market, but before railway line, road side seller.

Some times, Lotus  Sukhumvit, Jomtien,  just inside right hand entrance.

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I guess you haven't bought a ticket in awhile. They have not been in pairs for over a year now. Single ticket, 6 million baht first prize. You can buy multiple tickets. A "pair" of tickets would win 12 million and usually cost 200 baht.

I don't know what planet you live on, but Thai lottery tockets are sold in pairs (40 Bhat X 2 = 80 Bhat).

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, condobrit001 said:

I don't know what planet you live on, but Thai lottery tockets are sold in pairs (40 Bhat X 2 = 80 Bhat).

1 for 80 baht here in Chiang Mai (A different planet) at many vendors and has been for sometime.

4 minutes ago, Thailand said:

1 for 80 baht here in Chiang Mai (A different planet) at many vendors and has been for sometime.

Same planet as far as lottery tickets are sold. Its condobrit001 who is on the different planet. Maybe his village still sells in pairs and wonders why he doesn't win.

2 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, condobrit001 said:

I suggest you do some homework, they have officially been 80 Baht per ticket for many years, I don't begrudge giving a poor ticket seller 100 Baht.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1