GLO announces bounty to nail lottery price gougers

webfact

2 hours ago, condobrit001 said:

I don't know what planet you live on, but Thai lottery tockets are sold in pairs (40 Bhat X 2 = 80 Bhat).

If that's the case, I'll give you B60 per ticket (to make it worth your while)  for the GLO lottery if you'd get some for me.  Should I PM you?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

I do - my ass is so tight and squeaky you couldn't fit a 25 satang coin in between my cheeks. It's specifically a lottery thing though. I'm a big tipper in restaurants and at the local bar (no bar girls or fines, just drinks with my better half).

I think that when the price is 80 baht and it's printed on the ticket, that I should only pay 80 baht. If I choose to tip, then that's another matter.

But then I'm very aware that the guy or gal approaching me & my couple of mates is on the very bottom rung of the ladder, they have probably paid Baht 80 for the ticket already from whoever they work for, so are they supposed to give them away ? I am also not a tight wad, which you appear to be.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

But then I'm very aware that the guy or gal approaching me & my couple of mates is on the very bottom rung of the ladder, they have probably paid Baht 80 for the ticket already from whoever they work for, so are they supposed to give them away ? I am also not a tight wad, which you appear to be.

They're not on the very bottom rung. Lottery vendor is not supposed to be a full time job. The Mrs has some friends who sell part time.

Lot's of folks are worse off - think of garbage pickers and trash collecters.

They don't buy them for 80 Baht either, they pay 70.40 Baht.

I resent the fact you called me a tight wad. I didn't insult you, or your opinion. I jokingly called myself a squeaky ass in jest.

I tip every where I go, but when something has a sticker price and someone tries to take more money then I feel cheated. And rightly so.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 4:30 PM, ronaldo0 said:

You just wonder why they don’t set it up online . Is it distrust of those running it or is it the putting sellers out of work ? 

It has been tried 2 twice Tucksin try to get it online ,and legally selling 2 and 3 numbers ,I can remember seeing blank slips to fill in with your chose of numbers .

But they was too  much opposition  at the time anyone over 40 could not use the system ,and I would say the big underground players voiced their  opposition  it would have made them redundant overnight ,and it was knocked on the head .

It was about 4-5 years ago now it was  tried again to do it online, that failed to reasons, same as above , and a lot would not trust an online system afraid they ticket/numbers  would get lost in cyberspace .

If it was online ,it would make a lot of sellers get a proper job ,not sat all day outside the BAAC the Farmers Bank,  and big temples with they fold up tables. 

But the big losers would be the blind and handicapped people ,for a lot of them that is they sole income . 

It will come ,someone will work a system out that can be done on Mobil phones. 

• Like 1

Here's an idea...  Instead of buying a lottery ticket, take half of your lottery money and just give it to the poor guy or gal trying to sell you a ticket.

He'll make more money, and you'll be no worse off than spending it on a ticket.

As a bonus, you won't feel cheated if he's selling them for over the list price.

Edit:  And if you miss the excitement of the lottery, take the other half and stick it in a coffee can.  Open it when something rare happens.  Like maybe blood red moon or a fair election...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

They're not on the very bottom rung. Lottery vendor is not supposed to be a full time job. The Mrs has some friends who sell part time.

Lot's of folks are worse off - think of garbage pickers and trash collecters.

They don't buy them for 80 Baht either, they pay 70.40 Baht.

I resent the fact you called me a tight wad. I didn't insult you, or your opinion. I jokingly called myself a squeaky ass in jest.

I tip every where I go, but when something has a sticker price and someone tries to take more money then I feel cheated. And rightly so.

I misinterpreted your squeaky ass comment probably due to the lack of a smile indicating humour, sorry about that ???? Words can sometimes be misconstrued due to lack of understanding the writers context, hence smilies/emojis, apologies.

The ones that visit us (lottery sellers) are usually on a push bike, some actually walk & a couple have motorbikes, but they still have to pay the middleman at least 80 Baht, I've said to them jokingly that 2 tickets are only 160 Baht but they want 200, I really don't care, I don't go to town very often so for me it's not a big deal.

Maybe one day you or I will win, I think in 15 years I've won once, not bothered at all, it's a bit of fun.

50 minutes ago, kickstart said:

It has been tried 2 twice Tucksin try to get it online ,and legally selling 2 and 3 numbers ,I can remember seeing blank slips to fill in with your chose of numbers .

If it was online ,it would make a lot of sellers get a proper job ,not sat all day outside the BAAC the Farmers Bank,  and big temples with they fold up tables. 

But the big losers would be the blind and handicapped people ,for a lot of them that is they sole income . 

It will come ,someone will work a system out that can be done on Mobil phones. 

Thaksin was actually sentenced to jail just a couple of years ago for that scheme. I can't remember exactly what the charges were. It might have been something to do with the prizes. They were offering exactly the same prizes as the underground system and in effect there was no limit to the amount that could be paid out. I don't remember if the charges were connected to that or something about the contracts for the systems involved.

What kind of jobs do you think the other sellers will get? A lot of them are farmers who come to Bangkok for a few days at a time or roam nearby provinces to sell their tickets. I was in a village in Mahasarakham a couple of years ago where most of the village were involved. The pickups rolled out in the morning and didn't get back till late. They either had to pay for the tickets up front or could get them on credit but might end up in debt if they couldn't shift them all. Not as easy as you might think. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

On 2/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, redwood1 said:

The small ticket vendors make almost no money.....100 baht a ticket should be the correct price.......

Around me, if they are at static locations eg outside Tesco, Big C, or other most tickets are 80B some are 100B, if they are selling from m/c's and travelling around 100B all.

One of the biggest shops that deal in tickets (sale and pay-out of prizes) charges 100B per.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, redwood1 said:

The small ticket vendors make almost no money.....100 baht a ticket should be the correct price.......

They all seem to have gone back to that price, rarely see an 80 baht seller now. Even at 80 baht it's a poor value lottery IMO

• Like 1

At least with the underground lotteries you can pick the numbers you want. With the regular lottery you have a choice limited to what's on the sellers' boards.

It really is time Thailand moved into the 21st century with their lottery. The problem is we all know who would make money out of selling tickets: 7-Eleven, Family Mart, Big C, Tesco. In other words, CP, Central and ThaiBev. The usual players.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:30 PM, ronaldo0 said:

You just wonder why they don’t set it up online . Is it distrust of those running it or is it the putting sellers out of work ? 

Online, oh yes they could...but no backhanders to they higher up on the food chain then...will not happen

• Like 2

Only in Thailand officials need to be paid a reward, for actually doing their job. I predict that over the next few weeks, lots of lottery sellers will be arrested.

Edited by Xonax