Thai road carnage: A motorcyclist is killed every 30 minutes in Thailand

webfact

With or without license.

Don't overestimate the difference.

I went through the complete procedure for the motorcycle license.

A complete joke.

Absolutely horrifying that people can walk in without additional practice/experience and then let go off to the road.

A little episode: wanted to take a granddaughters scooter (Fino) to the yearly inspection and pay tax/insurance (it had not been done since 2.5 years after it became 5 yr old).

The brakelight was defunct.

So went to the village motorcycle tinkerer asking to replace it.

Returning after half a day I had to learn that he doesn't have a brand new lamp.

Seems such hightech parts are rarely asked for :saai:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

saw policeman on motorbike today, no helmet.  I smiled, of course!!!!  

here are the 1000 things we can do to solve all the problems....

ok, thanks for reading.

i feel better.....did i help things?  no?   ok....   

ZERO people will leave Thailand because of this.......  dwell on that for a moment

The dead ones have already left. 

Reason to everything what "western" people to be so horrifield is: nobody really don't give a <deleted>! And everybody think its not happen to me coz i have this huge "buddha" necklace ! And also many farang here dont understand! How can kids and people move if they not drive motorbike! Out of town town Bangkok don't have  public transport! So take your hed out of place where sun not shine and try live normal people's life! Out off from your box! Yeah things should make better in traffic but its not only thing what is f ed up in this "coundry"or life in ceneral!

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

You wanted a normal one? He probably has a wall full of LED lamps?

Love your humor :cheesy:

If he would have had a x times more expensive one he would have sold it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, polpott said:

I once pointed out to a Thai that his rear light was out. His reply, "No problem, I don't use it".

I also admonished a Thai for flying down a notoriously dangerous road at night with no lights on. His reply, "It uses less fuel".

You really can't teach stupid.

Have you ever been into a Thai school?

• Like 2

What proportion of motorcycle riders are actually killed in accidents where no crash helmet was worn?

When I read these reports I am distressed at not only the accidents themselves but their consequences involving death and or being crippled for life and the loved ones that will miss them or have to live with an incredibly changed life.

I arrived in Thailand in early January 2003 when countless drivers and riders today weren't even born. From whom do they learn the culture of Thai driving? Their parents and the law that has scant regard for enforcement.

This very serious matter has nothing to do with the vehicles or the power ratio of them. When I am biking I see children coming home from school on waves and dreams speeding like crazy down both sides of the road (obviously no helmets) in which there are two traffic police stations (no, not boxes) within 10 kms of each other. Never are there anything like any patrol cars or Officers of any kind around to make the observations I see every day that contribute greatly to the "carnage" mentioned in the OP.

I want to be angry about the needless death and suffering but so do many others in this forum but sadly not so many Thai people and those in charge who's job it is to actually do something!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, polpott said:

Not to worry, there seems to be an endless supply of young Thais with an aversion to helmets and a delusion that they are Valentino Rossi riding unroadworthy junk with skinny bald tyres and no brakes. The carnage will continue.

....RIP....they say, one death per 30 minutes...seems that 30 are replaced; and i can't pick which ones they are!

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And the alcohol/YaBa consumed by many of the deceased riders.

The statistics after every holiday usually say that 80% of those killed were motorcyclists, mainly men between 40 & 60, on straight roads between 4pm & 8pm.

I don't think that is correct plus when I am driving  in Pattaya at night I have been passed by maybe 4 or 5 teen cyclists doing wheelies at high speed on either side of me. In BKK there was a nice neighbor kid 14 who liked to speed around on his bike. Died whe he and his rider hit a pole at night trying to do a wheelie.

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1

Just another load of cliches form media and "experts" - whoever they are.

unless Thailand has a major sea-change and adopts the "safe system" for road safety, there will be no significant change in road deaths and injuries.

These cost the economy trillions even year, but the authorities are just too stupid to do anything effective about it.

There are plenty of organisations - national, ASEAN and international that have plans, but successive Thai governments have refused PROVEN advice time and again.

5 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

The practice of allowing children without any formal training is just an accident or death possibly of 3-4 people waiting to happen.  Learning to ride from family members in most cases only passes poor driving habits on to the children.

This is a very valid point. Kids here are often beginning to ride motorcycles as young as 10 years old. Children learn by observing and copying their parents/guardians. If what they see is wrong, then that's the way they'll do it. And here in Thailand, what they see is invariably is wrong.

It is far more difficult teach people to do things the right way, once they've learned to do it wrong way. Those bad habits have been ingrained  for life.

Teaching kids to do ride the right way has to start when they're very young.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

From where I live to where I drive at night is a fast 4 lane road with many bikes with no rear lights. What is it about these riders that they want to endanger themselves and me for the cost of a rear bulb?

It is usually not about the bulb, but just as many thai car drivers they believe that they save a lot of gasoline by this.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I don't think that is correct plus when I am driving  in Pattaya at night I have been passed by maybe 4 or 5 teen cyclists doing wheelies at high speed on either side of me. In BKK there was a nice neighbor kid 14 who liked to speed around on his bike. Died whe he and his rider hit a pole at night trying to do a wheelie.

Tony, read again what I posted. 4,5,6 teenagers in Bangkok are not 80% of those killed during the holiday periods.

3 hours ago, Suua said:

This is an eye opener to the level of education here......

Most of the motorbikes without rear lights are deliberate. 

They remove the bulb so that 'ghosts don't follow them'....Seriously.

Says an awful lot about the mindset here.

We refer to examples (of which there are many) like this as the Thai thick gene.