Thai road carnage: A motorcyclist is killed every 30 minutes in Thailand

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Several experts from road safety organisations were quoted for where they see the main problems

If there are so many so called experts in Thailand why can't they solve the problem?

One says 25% are on big bikes, I'd like to know the death comparisons figures between big and normal bikes?

Another says the lights are too small... what about those that don't have them because they can't be bothered to fit a new bulb.

What about the ones that ride around on completely bald tyres, first drop of rain they're off.

Another mentions high speed, most accidents/deaths occur at lower than the mentioned 90 kph

weaving in and out of traffic, crossroads, and other junctions.

The most is the complete lack of any training to acquire a licence, there should be an enforced minimum age to ride a bike, then a graded rise in age for certain CC's, start actual rider training on how to handle a bike... not just complete a 2 minute mini-circuit and stay on.

They need a complete overhaul of how people learn to ride bikes... with the emphasis on LEARN

• Like 1

Ridiculous drivers was my only bad experience while living in Thailand. I rode a motorbike  while living there and I found it best to always expect the unexpected. Examples: turns from and lane, red light runners, mindless pedestrians, sudden stops, potholes, idiots who do not like being passed, wrong way drivers, drunk drivers and of course the crooked cops jumping out to try finding a rule infraction (only foreigners stopped like that).

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Bringing in a system where younger riders were limited in the power of their machines - Graduated Driver Licensing -

She should do her homework more........There is a graduated system.of sorts. My Son's licence is restricted to 110cc until he is 18. It is clearly stated on the back. 

However, it is ignored. A while back a friend of my Son was riding a 150 cc bike, and told me he had full insurance cover. I said that was not possible as je had no licence to ride a 150, only 110. I spoke to his Father and mentioned this fact. He was concerned and contacted the insurance company, which we both use. They did not know !! so they contacted head office in Bangkok, who did not know !!! after 2 days the answer came back from the insurance..........Quote.........."It is ok, the police do not bother with that, as long as they have a licence to ride a bike. My answer to him was now we have made the insurance aware watch them wriggle if a (God forbid) claim is made. 

17 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

She should do her homework more........There is a graduated system.of sorts. My Son's licence is restricted to 110cc until he is 18. It is clearly stated on the back. 

However, it is ignored. A while back a friend of my Son was riding a 150 cc bike, and told me he had full insurance cover. I said that was not possible as je had no licence to ride a 150, only 110. I spoke to his Father and mentioned this fact. He was concerned and contacted the insurance company, which we both use. They did not know !! so they contacted head office in Bangkok, who did not know !!! after 2 days the answer came back from the insurance..........Quote.........."It is ok, the police do not bother with that, as long as they have a licence to ride a bike. My answer to him was now we have made the insurance aware watch them wriggle if a (God forbid) claim is made. 

Are you talking about extra insurance or the Por Lor Bor compulsory 3rd party person insurance. My experience with Por Lor Bor is the vehicle is insured, not the individual rider. I have made 2 claims on Por Lor Bor insurance and nobody ever wanted to see a license.

21 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

From where I live to where I drive at night is a fast 4 lane road with many bikes with no rear lights. What is it about these riders that they want to endanger themselves and me for the cost of a rear bulb?

It stops the ghosts following them home.

Mentality! 2 years ago with prevalent police stops, fining helmetless riders in Pattaya, there would be around 90% of riders with helmets "not necessarily on their heads". With the Covids there's no police check points 10-20% have helmets and 99% ware face masks. There's a reason there but it's beyond me!

The driving test is a 8 hr talk, you have to ride around a mock road track but nobody is watching! One girl fell off but still passed because the only official was taking the names of the contestants!!!!!!! If it's like the car test, if you fail 3 time's you get a pass anyway to save you looking stupid! Mmmmmm. Yep still beyond me!

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I was waiting an intersection in Saphan Kwai a few weeks ago. The lights there stay on red for ages at the traffic gets green from each other direction. At least 30+ motorcycles at the head of traffic. A police bike with 2 cops stopped next to me. On break in the light change cycle, a biker in front saw his chance and jumped the red light before cross traffic started. Amazingly, the cops just commented and shook their heads. I though for sure they would chase the rider down but no, nothing! If that type of riding is allowed and not prosecuted then there's no hope.

That is why i posted that above..  also i  am hard of hearing .so i did'nt hear the motorbike approaching behind me,  "on the footpath",  2 police ..a very near accident,   but who  would have been to  blame,..me im sure

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kevc said:

You want drastically cut motorbike deaths MAKE THEM WEAR HELMETS. It's that easy, a blind man on a galloping horse can see someone without a helmet why can't the police.

Two days ago taking my daughter to school and there on the main road a young girl lying possibly dead next to her bike no helmet in sight with a load of other bikers exactly the same.

A few months ago I was pull up at a check point and the officer didn't like my helmet. This full-face helmet is one of the best Shoei makes and cost me 25000 baht. He said it doesn't have a thai approval and he was going to give me a ticket. Than his boss came over and said it's ok let him go. I can buy a Thai approved helmet for 150 baht that offers little or no protection but I want the best for my head and the police can't see the difference, at least some of them.

8 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

A few months ago I was pull up at a check point and the officer didn't like my helmet. This full-face helmet is one of the best Shoei makes and cost me 25000 baht. He said it doesn't have a thai approval and he was going to give me a ticket. Than his boss came over and said it's ok let him go. I can buy a Thai approved helmet for 150 baht that offers little or no protection but I want the best for my head and the police can't see the difference, at least some of them.

Go to the local bike shop, 50Bht and they will stick a Thai approval sticker   on for you? 

22 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

From where I live to where I drive at night is a fast 4 lane road with many bikes with no rear lights. What is it about these riders that they want to endanger themselves and me for the cost of a rear bulb?

I just discussed this with one of my Thai friends, he said (jokingly) 'Thais like to go fast, its ok if they die as long as they die quick!'

7 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I just discussed this with one of my Thai friends, he said (jokingly) 'Thais like to go fast, its ok if they die as long as they die quick!'

...and add into that a complete and utter disregard for other peoples safety and well being and you have.......Thailand.

22 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

That is one of my pet peeves when I drive at night: no rear light. Also driving against traffic. Police are indeed too lazy to enforce the law and yet they could make a lot of money with all those fines.  

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Are you talking about extra insurance or the Por Lor Bor compulsory 3rd party person insurance. My experience with Por Lor Bor is the vehicle is insured, not the individual rider. I have made 2 claims on Por Lor Bor insurance and nobody ever wanted to see a license.

This is the extra insurance on top of the 3rd party liablility.

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

Thats nothing to do with ‘Thai-Approval’ and everything to do with a Police Officer who’s sense of entitlement makes him believe that because he’s stopped someone he has to receive money, they therefor make up ridiculous regulations and see if the ‘mark’ is dumb enough or intimidated enough to just pay up. 

Many Westerners fold way too quickly in instances like this. 

I know of a story where one guy, on his motorcycle was stopped, the Policeman pulled out an A4 piece of paper held it up against the guys motorcycle numberplate and announced the number plate was too small as it was illegal. The policeman of course demanded an ‘on the spot fine’.

The lesson here - when you know you are not in the wrong, don’t fold. Laugh even. Then know you know and give up very quickly. Even better if you have a helmet-cam or a bike dash-cam.

-----

The one that really bugs me: If you’ve been in an accident and have to go to the Police station to sort it out. Even if its 100% not your fault you are still charged a 500 baht fine - I never could understand that one  (that was over 10 years ago though so I’m not sure if the practice is the same). 

• Like 1

The biggest problem is not the training,  per say, but the attitude.  The attitude of

no helmet is right from the start. The teens do not like the helmets because they are

not cool. The police, government and all adults are guilty of not getting this problem

fixed. All drivers should be charged 1000 baht each time they are caught, especially the

teens. If they cannot pay, they have to park their motorbikes, scooters or what ever until

they buy a helmet and wear it. if they keep getting caught, the charge has to increase

at least 50 percent every time they are caught, not wearing their helmet.  So of the people

I blame the most it is the police who do not do their jobs. If they are being told not to charge

the teens, then I blame who ever is telling the police to turn a blind eye to this problem.

I also blame the Leaders of the governments who are in charge of traffic, and the laws, and even the

highest leader of the government.  The problem could have been fixed years ago so there is 

no excuse of any adult in any country saying that they did not know there was a problem.

Geezer

Well with nothing between the ears,can't wear a helmet cause i'll mess up my new 500 thb hairdo, and the attitude i'm invincible,the toll wont be receding very much in the near future unless the bib get off their ass and start patrolling the roads and issuing significant monetary fines.

On 2/4/2021 at 1:01 PM, JCCR6 said:

Just more waffling on about big bikes, baskets and speed limits. How about proper driver education for all drivers and riders? 

Most accidents are not 'big bikes', they're mostly small bikes. Quite often with another vehicle involved.

"How about proper driver education for all drivers and riders?"  No use, you cannot teach stupid, and that is what's wrong with the vast majority of them. 

2 hours ago, Anant72 said:

That is one of my pet peeves when I drive at night: no rear light. Also driving against traffic. Police are indeed too lazy to enforce the law and yet they could make a lot of money with all those fines.  

I think that the police approach is that a 17 year old with no helmet, no lights and no exhaust silencer will probably also have no money. No cash on the spot "fines" means writing out a ticket, the money from which, if ever paid, will not go anywhere near the ticket issuer. They simply will not bother.

I have only once in seven years seen any "enforcement" - a cop pulled up at the nights next to a pretty schoolgirl with the helmet stached in the front basket of her scooter. Beeped his horn, pointed at the helmet. pointed at her head, all without opening his window. The lights turned to green and he drove away without checking whether she had put the helmet on (she did).

On 2/4/2021 at 3:06 PM, bigupandchill said:

Why you want light back when you only look front.   

Edited by Huckenfell

6 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Why you want light back when you only look front.   

I did a life saver check (shoulder check) riding down the middle lane of a 3 lane (on each a side) divided rd. 

Just a split second shoulder check, 

I turned back & the car in front was full on the brakes stopping !! (For no apparent reason). 

I stopped in time but it frightened me !

I’d never recommend not shoulder checking, but taking your eyes off the road for a second can lead to consequences here more often than in our home countries. 

The Thai just don't seem to get, not even the writers of the original news item, that it all starts with proper education. Thailand should start providing actual driving lessons. Put up a system for instructors and start training new drivers on the actual road. When people are taught proper driving techniques as well as how to behave in varying circumstances with the aim to make driving safer, increase traffic flow and generally teach people to apply all the rules wherever they are, that would make a dramatic change.

Another major factor that is overlooked in Thailand (though not executed much better in countries such as USA) is safe road design for all road users (pedestrians and cyclists included). Thais love to make ever wider roads regardless of where that road actually is. 6 or 8 lane roads in small villages are a regular sight. This simply invites speeding. Having major arterial roads cutting right through town (dreaded U-turns included) with all stores and restaurants lined up right next to it combined with the resulting urge to drive as fast as possible is a sure recipe for disaster. Leaving a Tesco Lotus or your local bakery and immediately having to deal with 120 km/h traffic is pure madness.

Sure thicker tires, better lights and wearing helmets will help mitigate some of the danger but those are merely the symptoms of a sick system.

Edited by AgentSmith

my FAVORITE...

you are on the correct side of the road (left) and 10 motorbikes are coming at you, usually kids done from school....   some, not all, give you a look like , "give us room!!!!!"

of course, not my country, if they hit me I pay fine.....of course, falang pay.... of course

if i look at them and they crash, i pay 100000000 zillion

this is the way

but I will live here for the next 10000000-years.........  of course, of course.......